• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Discworld is no more.

Basic Beliefs
Atheism
"Beloved fantasy author Terry Pratchett has died at the age of 66, according to a message from his publishers. Best known for the Discworld novels, Pratchett wrote more than 70 books, blending fantasy elements with cutting and human satire. Pratchett was diagnosed with an aggressive form of Alzheimer's Disease in 2007, and had struggled publicly with the disease for years while continuing to write and publish. "The world has lost one of its brightest, sharpest minds," said Larry Finlay, who worked with Pratchett at Finlay Publishers. "My sympathies go out to Terry's wife Lyn, their daughter Rhianna, to his close friend Rob Wilkins, and to all closest to him." The family has set up a page for donations in Pratchett's memory, raising funds for the Research Institute to the Care of Older People"

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/12/8199805/terry-pratchett-is-dead-at-66

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pratchett#Alzheimer.27s_disease_and_death

That's tragic. He was awesome. It's too bad he didn't have another ten seconds. He could have done a lot with those ten seconds. Used them to live, for instance.

Crap.
That's a loss.... I loved him since his version of Pascal's Wager. (Discworld's Pascal woke up in the afterlife, surrounded by gods carrying clubs. "We're going to show you what we think of clever dicks...")

“No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away...” Reaper Man

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” Diggers

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star, you’ll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard, and learning things, and weren’t so lazy.” The Wee Free Men

“'DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING', said Death. 'JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH'.” Good Omens

It was very depressing to look up the news and see we lost such an iconic writer today

R.I.P Terry Pratchett:(

Very sad. I'm only pages away from finishing my first Pratchett book The Color of Magic, that I picked up primarily after reading all the great things written about him on this forum.

I checked to see where we're commiserating. I was at work and opened my Facebook on lunch break to find this new. I gasped, even though it is certainly not unexpected. I'll miss the guy who treated his fans like they really counted and could so easily have a room of hundreds feeling like they were having a fireside chat with him. I'll always wonder how many books were floating around in his head that he took with him, as he was still so inspired to write just last August, though the embuggerance was obviously taking it's toll at that point.

Of course it's no more. It's an unstable structure, it was bound to collapse! :)

This truly hurts. I've been crying on and off all day. I've never felt such personal loss at the death of someone I never met. The tweet with Death's trademark all caps comment really did me in. Even accounting for how much influence this person has had in my life since the 90s, I am still very surprised at this deep grief, and it is deep grief. Really all I want to say is thank you to Terry Pratchett.

Loren Pechtel said:
Of course it's no more. It's an unstable structure, it was bound to collapse!

I get the impression you do not believe that "The Tortoise Moves". *looks at Loren with great suspicion*

Loren Pechtel said:
Of course it's no more. It's an unstable structure, it was bound to collapse!

I get the impression you do not believe that "The Tortoise Moves". *looks at Loren with great suspicion*

On Discworld, it's "The turtle moves."

Now and then I like to post a picture of Copernicus with that caption on facebook. :D

d30d95bd4533090d90c4a4722e11dd60.jpg

By the way, I hear this quote a lot but rarely credited to Terry Pratchett who came up with it: "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day; set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Back
Top Bottom