• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

DMV forces gender non-conforming South Carolina teen to remove makeup for license photo

I think I'll give the DMV a pass on this. It involves a teenager and it is far more likely that a teen would do such a thing because they are fucking with the DMV. In this case it is a case where the boy likes to dress up like a woman. So unless the DMV insists on towing their line, this can fall under, "thought the guy was been a twit, but he wasn't, sorry" sort of situation.

It sounds like he is a lesbian trapped in a man's body to cite Eddie Izzard.

I think I'll give the DMV a pass on this. It involves a teenager and it is far more likely that a teen would do such a thing because they are fucking with the DMV. In this case it is a case where the boy likes to dress up like a woman. So unless the DMV insists on towing their line, this can fall under, "thought the guy was been a twit, but he wasn't, sorry" sort of situation.

I agree, though its hard to imagine the DMV wouldn't have encountered this issue before. It seems odd they would have some policy. OTOH it would be tough to set a policy. It makes sense to have some rules related to looking close to what you do in daily life, which would raise the problem of how often do you need to cross-dress to allow for doing so for ones ID photo? If I feel like a women that day is that enough? If so, then its impossible for the DMV the distinguish between a prank and a genuine but fleeting gender issue. IF "daily appearance" is the criteria, then how often is enough and how is that determined whether the person does so daily other than their word? For that matter, do the DMV make any effort to verify that people getting their license are not wearing a wig or colored lenses? IIRC, they just ask you your hair color, eye color, weight, and height without verification other than a glance.

Unless the DMV is asking women who show up in coveralls, with no makeup and short hair to go home and put on a dress and make up to "look" like a woman, this was completely unnecessary.

He looks the same, with or without makeup, that's all an ID is for.

When you consider how much a person can change their appearance by shaving, hair cut, color, makeup and that the DMV knows this and experiences it on a daily basis, to do this to a sixteen year old on such a proud day is just mean spirited.

When you consider how much a person can change their appearance by shaving, hair cut, color, makeup and that the DMV knows this and experiences it on a daily basis, to do this to a sixteen year old on such a proud day is just mean spirited.

My photo in my first UK passport showed me with a beard. After a few years in Australia, I returned to the UK clean shaven (I had a job which required me to wear breathing apparatus, so a beard was a no-no; I have since grown it back). The immigration officials gave me a really hard time, asking me repeatedly whether I was travelling on a forged passport, or the passport of a relative; they eventually accepted that I really was the person I claimed to be when I showed them Australian ID with the same name and DoB, but with a more recent photo.

Certainly anyone who deals with ID photos on a regular basis must be aware that appearance can and does change a LOT depending on any number of things. The change in appearance of the person in the OP with and without make-up was completely trivial compared to those routine changes, and this was obviously a case of petty officials using their tiny modicum of power simply to humiliate someone for being different. All those involved should lose their jobs over this abuse of power.

My photo in my first UK passport showed me with a beard. After a few years in Australia, I returned to the UK clean shaven (I had a job which required me to wear breathing apparatus, so a beard was a no-no; I have since grown it back). The immigration officials gave me a really hard time, asking me repeatedly whether I was travelling on a forged passport, or the passport of a relative; they eventually accepted that I really was the person I claimed to be when I showed them Australian ID with the same name and DoB, but with a more recent photo.

Certainly anyone who deals with ID photos on a regular basis must be aware that appearance can and does change a LOT depending on any number of things. The change in appearance of the person in the OP with and without make-up was completely trivial compared to those routine changes, and this was obviously a case of petty officials using their tiny modicum of power simply to humiliate someone for being different. All those involved should lose their jobs over this abuse of power.
An insight on which mentality prevails in Anderson, SC :

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2014/jun/19/pickens-school-board-debates-changes-to-prayer/

"he Rev. Jimmy Burrell, right, of Gilead Baptist Church in Pickens, tells Alex Saitta, school board chairman, that the people of Pickens County are mostly Christian."

Need I to say more? Are we to be surprised that with such predominant religious mentality, DMV employees would use their power to project their own bigotry on a biological male who is obviously leaning towards a female gender identity?

The change in appearance of the person in the OP with and without make-up was completely trivial compared to those routine changes, and this was obviously a case of petty officials using their tiny modicum of power simply to humiliate someone for being different. All those involved should lose their jobs over this abuse of power.
Are we to be surprised that with such predominant religious mentality, DMV employees would use their power to project their own bigotry on a biological male who is obviously leaning towards a female gender identity?
This is troubling in that even if they are told they are wrong and Chase Culpepper gets to retake his photo with makeup on, what changes? Will an outside entity repeatedly have to intervene when a new situation arises that conflicts with the state workers collective moral code? Though the DMV may be made to yield, is anything done to address the atmosphere? I'd think not. Moreover, it probably strengthens their resolve. This incident should not have gone to this level. Obviously, a circle the wagons stance was taken. A supervisor, manager, someone up the chain of command should have stopped this. Ideally it would have been the first person allowed to make a judgement call, to interpret the rule in a fair manner. I would think there is someone in the chain who knew this to be wrong but they did not have the strength of character to speak out. Well, a sixteen year old kid did.
While I might expect an adult to stand up their self, teens are often too emotionally vulnerable to stand up to an adult bully, and one's in position of authority, :censored2:

Maybe they should allow double pictures.
What, with and without makeup?
Or four pictures, for before coffee,
after coffee,
my SCA Druid costume,
my Halloween vampire costume?

I figure one's enough. If you typically wear makeup, then you're typically going to face cops or cashiers trying to identify you with makeup.
Someone wants to spend time like Bilby explaining where the facial hair came from/went to, or some other difference between what the DMV made them look like and how they present today, i figure it's their time to spend. As long as someone doesn't show up like a Blue Man Group performer, take the dang pic.

Back
Top Bottom