• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Does Bad Publicity Help Trump?

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
It seems like every time I turn on the news, all I see is Trump, Trump, Trump. Almost all of the articles are negative. And yet he keeps climbing in the polls over time. There's an old saying that there's no such thing as bad publicity. It just helps you get name recognition! Of course just about anyone and everyone in the country today already knows about Trump so I wouldn't think name recognition would matter much to polls at this point. But IAE, your thoughts? Is all this negative (but free) publicity, driving Trump to higher and higher poll numbers? Can it be sustained through election day? Or will there come a crash before that?

SLD

He fell in the polls this week. For the first time ever, more voters report that they are less likely to vote for him after the conventions than they had before. (all previous conventions for the last thirty odd years led to an increase in voter likelyhood to vote for the nominee, regardless of party). This is a good sign, considering that polls have shown a substantial undecided faction going into the conventions. (clinton's numbers were modestly positive, in that people say they are more likely to vote for her now)

It's starting to hurt him as he is an open target to mock now and provides plenty of fodder.

Supposedly the ads showing him mocking the reporter's palsy caused a short-term dip in his numbers (around 3%.) Then they crept up again. I have talked to very few Trumpies (because I would find it hard to remain civil and obscenity-free), but I think they find him brash and refreshingly un-PC. I know: puke!!!
So, interesting question -- what could he say that would really dent his numbers? He would almost have to plead for tolerance of Muslims.
After all, this is a guy who has repeatedly told us he would order war crimes, institute a religious test for immigrants, build a wall against an army of Hispanic rapists, change the laws protecting reporters so he could sue for libel...he has told us, in these things, that he would leave a wide orange skid mark on our national honor. And Howard Dean's campaign collapsed in '04 because of a single howl of victory. Don't ask for a rational course of events in American politics. The Republican electorate is writhing with hatred and paranoia.

Supposedly the ads showing him mocking the reporter's palsy caused a short-term dip in his numbers (around 3%.) Then they crept up again. I have talked to very few Trumpies (because I would find it hard to remain civil and obscenity-free), but I think they find him brash and refreshingly un-PC. I know: puke!!!
So, interesting question -- what could he say that would really dent his numbers? He would almost have to plead for tolerance of Muslims.
After all, this is a guy who has repeatedly told us he would order war crimes, institute a religious test for immigrants, build a wall against an army of Hispanic rapists, change the laws protecting reporters so he could sue for libel...he has told us, in these things, that he would leave a wide orange skid mark on our national honor. And Howard Dean's campaign collapsed in '04 because of a single howl of victory. Don't ask for a rational course of events in American politics. The Republican electorate is writhing with hatred and paranoia.

I listen to them on Talk Radio. Very scary. They just love him here in Alabama. Obama was the antichrist and he's just the second coming of Jesus. Anything that he does wrong, they excuse. He really didn't mean it. Or they might get mad at him a bit, but only because they think it will hurt his chances - they know deep down in side he's Jesus reincarnated and nothing will change their views of it.

SLD

Trump has most recently talked about people he shouldn't have like the slain soldiers mother, insinuating she wasn't allowed to speak because she is Muslim. And most recently, Trump was publicly telling off the local fire marshall in Colorado Springs for limiting how many people could be in a building. Apparently, the Marshall was awarded distinction for his response to a mass shooting. Oh and Trump is praising Paul Ryan's primary opponent. Apparently Trump is unpleased that people hate Cruz more than him, so he is going into overdrive.

Trump just doesn't know when to shut up. He thinks anything that doesn't go in his favor is a conspiracy, which will lead to interesting comments about why he lost the election in November. Right now, the RNC's collective sphincter is so tight, they haven't been able to have a bowel movement in a week.

If you look at Reince Preibus when trying to talk Trump out of another stupid comment or reflection, you'll see it in his eyes, his sphincter is about to collapse into a black hole.

At some point, it has to collapse on Trump. It just has to!

It helped him early on, when he was still trying to appeal to the Rs (the yahoo branch specifically) but his numbers have been pretty flat over the long term. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...er-both-conventions-trumps-bump-has-vanished/

Anyone in the left and center aren't impressed by his bad press, and he's already reached a saturation point with the right.

This is where he is. People who have already made up their minds that "he alone can fix it" wouldn't change it if he were caught sodomizing an altar boy. But he's losing the undecided voters, and starting to lose the people whose only motivation is that they hate Clinton enough to tell pollsters they'll vote for him.

I agree there isn't anything a diehard Trumpy supporter can not tolerate about the man. He hates muslims, immigrants and white people who don't like him. That leaves white people who like him. Of those he has to appeal to the loyalists - aka Clinton/liberal haters - and the educationally challenged. He'll get a lot of votes because the republican party is very much about the latter two things. But my gut says he'll lose. I just hope there aren't a lot of Floridas in this election.

I think he'll lose and run again in four years.

I agree there isn't anything a diehard Trumpy supporter can not tolerate about the man. He hates muslims, immigrants and white people who don't like him. That leaves white people who like him. Of those he has to appeal to the loyalists - aka Clinton/liberal haters - and the educationally challenged. He'll get a lot of votes because the republican party is very much about the latter two things. But my gut says he'll lose. I just hope there aren't a lot of Floridas in this election.

You're in PA. A critical state for the election. Vote often!

PA will be as close as it has been in the past, not really. Romney was supposed to make a move on PA in '12. I guess it is the blue Georgia.

He's peaked. Trump is stupid. Not only is this probably the most mismanaged campaign in history (certainly in modern times) but he's still playing the game as if he's only running for the Republicans during the primary. (As I predicted). As I also predicted, as he drops in the polls his narcissism will take over to save his fragile ego, and more inane shit will spew from the orifice he calls a mouth, but is obviously really a cloaca. Even terror attacks aren't really bumping his numbers, as more and more people crave stability during those times - not chaos, and not an obvious dumb fuck they know cannot even understand the problem.

Nevertheless, there's a lot of damage done, and a lot more to come I suspect. Sigh...

PA will be as close as it has been in the past, not really. Romney was supposed to make a move on PA in '12. I guess it is the blue Georgia.
PA will go Clinton. The few outspoken Trumpers I work with don't even vote and have no plan to. We just elected a democratic governor. PA will go democratic, I feel very strongly about that.

Now that the election is getting close, it looks like he's losing traction. Enough Americans are having the "Oh shit, this is for real now" moment to know that they shouldn't vote for him. In just the last week or two he's gone so far beyond the pale for too many. And he has another three months to continue that. And if the past year is any indicator, he'll only keep it up.

I HOPE.

Now that the election is getting close, it looks like he's losing traction. Enough Americans are having the "Oh shit, this is for real now" moment to know that they shouldn't vote for him. In just the last week or two he's gone so far beyond the pale for too many. And he has another three months to continue that. And if the past year is any indicator, he'll only keep it up.

I HOPE.
seems an absurd hope to me, given that the dipshits in this country elected bush twice (or once depending on how you look at it, etc etc - but even then, close enough to allow for shenanigans, and it never should have been that close in the first place) and given the way that our resident right-wingers act about bush and about trump i predict massive swaths of the population happily voting trump.

PA will go Clinton. The few outspoken Trumpers I work with don't even vote and have no plan to. We just elected a democratic governor. PA will go democratic, I feel very strongly about that.
So this leads us to the next stage. What if Trump does collapse? A decent part of his base aren't going to be excited to vote. Is it possible that they don't bother showing up (you know, because it is fixed by the media anyway)? So many scenarios. In 2008 and 2012 it was about who'd win the House, Senate, White House. Now it is about turnout and whether it'll be depressed for the right-wing because they lost their mind... or at least 30% did and the other 70% couldn't make up theirs.

So this leads us to the next stage. What if Trump does collapse? A decent part of his base aren't going to be excited to vote. Is it possible that they don't bother showing up (you know, because it is fixed by the media anyway)? So many scenarios. In 2008 and 2012 it was about who'd win the House, Senate, White House. Now it is about turnout and whether it'll be depressed for the right-wing because they lost their mind... or at least 30% did and the other 70% couldn't make up theirs.

I'm already telling Trump supporters they shouldn't bother voting, because the fix is in. Convince enough of them, and the House and Senate will be controlled by the Democrats. My only concern is that most of these people are heavily armed.

Back
Top Bottom