• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Dominion starts serving lawsuits

Deepak

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Former Trump campaign lawyer Sidney Powell was sued for defamation by the voting-machine company she repeatedly placed at the center of a vast and unfounded election conspiracy that she claimed switched votes to favor President-elect Joe Biden.

The complaint filed Friday by Dominion Voting Systems Inc. seeks $1.3 billion from Powell, who filed numerous unsuccessful court cases seeking to overturn the election results. She was dumped by the Trump campaign not long after a Nov. 19 press conference in which she claimed that agents from Iran and China infiltrated Dominion’s voting machines to help Biden, and that the software had ties to Venezuelan dictator Hugo Chavez, who died in 2013.

“Powell’s wild accusations are demonstrably false,” the company, based in Toronto and Denver, said in the complaint. “Acting in concert with allies and media outlets that were determined to promote a false preconceived narrative about the 2020 election, Powell launched a viral disinformation campaign about Dominion that reached millions of people and caused enormous harm to Dominion.”

The case could be the first of numerous suits against individuals and media outlets accused of trashing the company’s reputation by repeating or broadcasting wild conspiracy theories to explain President Donald Trump’s failed bid for a second term. Trump’s lead election lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, Fox News and the White House itself were among those who received letters from Dominion’s attorneys in December.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...by-dominion-voting-over-election-fraud-claims

Their argument in determining the $1.3 billion better be rock solid. Expect the usual suspects to complain about the "frivolous" nature.

Their argument in determining the $1.3 billion better be rock solid. Expect the usual suspects to complain about the "frivolous" nature.

Yes, one would hope. But it may be reasonable given the operating costs of the company, how much extra security that they've had to pay for, and the potential for lost business.

They sold their services to 19 states in the last election. Some of the contracts they have run over years or decades. It should be pretty straightforward to calculate the possible loss of business in the other 31 states, or in the future in their existing clients, especially if a typical contract is a decade.

Thry made over $120mill last year. $1.3 bill is about ten years like that.

They sold their services to 19 states in the last election. Some of the contracts they have run over years or decades. It should be pretty straightforward to calculate the possible loss of business in the other 31 states, or in the future in their existing clients, especially if a typical contract is a decade.

Thry made over $120mill last year. $1.3 bill is about ten years like that.

I don't disagree, but you just know the counter argument will be "Witch Hunt!!!!ONEONEONE". And unfortunately, at least 74 million adult Americans are highly susceptible to repetition.

I expect them to, else they wouldn't be the usual suspects. That said, even if the relief sought by Dominion is off the mark, the merits of the case are unrelated to the dollar figure. In reading the complaint, their rationale seems to be pretty solid. The whole complaint is worth a read, it's a beatdown:

76. As licensed attorneys, Powell and Wood were obligated to investigate the factual basis for their claims before making them in public filings. As such, they either conducted the inquiry required of them as licensed attorneys and violated their ethical obligations by knowingly making false assertions rebutted by the information they found, or they violated their ethical obligations by purposefully avoiding undertaking the reasonable inquiry required of them.

To Bolster Her Fundraising and Defamatory Media Campaign, Powell Proffered “Evidence”
That Was Deliberately Misrepresented, Manufactured, and Cherry-Picked

87. Powell put forward purported “evidence” in her court filings that was deliberately misrepresented, manufactured, and cherry-picked. Although Dominion is not currently suing Powell based on the false statements in Powell’s sham litigations, the manipulation of the judicial process apparent in Powell’s court filings is additional evidence that Powell knew the statements she made about Dominion—during her defamatory press conference in Washington, D.C., “Stop the Steal” rally, and media campaign—were false. Moreover, as further evidence of her actual malice, during her defamatory media campaign, Powell sought to lend credence to her false accusations—and to solicit donations—by touting the flawed “evidence” attached to the court filings posted to her fundraising website.

Powell Put Forward Doctored Evidence and
Withheld Key Proof to Support Her False Accusations About Dominion

91. Powell and Wood repeatedly told national audiences that Dominion had bribed Georgia’s Republican governor and secretary of state for a last-minute no-bid contract. They claimed to have evidence to support that accusation, but never produced it during their televised appearances or on Twitter. Instead, in their sham litigation in Georgia, they claimed that Governor Kemp and Secretary of State Raffensperger had “rushed” through the purchase of Dominion voting machines and software, noting that the Dominion certification from the secretary of state was “undated,” and attaching a copy of an undated Dominion Certification. In reality, the authentic certificate is dated August 9, 2019—more than a year before the November 2020 election—and is publicly available online at the Georgia Secretary of State’s website.

92. Upon information and belief, Powell, Wood, or someone reporting to them downloaded the authentic certificate from the Secretary of State’s website and cut off the date, seal, and signature before attaching the doctored document as an exhibit to their Georgia complaint

93. Other government records prove that Dominion won the Georgia contract after scoring the highest in a competitive bid process (not a no-bid process)—during which it competed against ES&S and Smartmatic; those records are also publicly available on the very same webpage where, upon information and belief, Powell, Wood, or someone reporting to them downloaded the dated Dominion Certification before doctoring it

94. Anyone downloading the Dominion Certification from the Secretary of State’s website can see—in the links directly above it—that Dominion competed against Smartmatic for the Georgia contract and is thus not the same company as Smartmatic or owned by Smartmatic.

95. During her defamatory media campaign, Powell either actually knew about these readily available government records or purposefully avoided them in reckless disregard of the truth and in violation of her ethical duties as a licensed attorney.

96. Ironically, of the three companies identified on the Georgia Secretary of State’s website as having submitted a bid for the Georgia contract, Dominion is the only one that has never serviced an election in Venezuela. Both Smartmatic and ES&S have serviced Venezuelan elections. But Powell targeted Dominion with her claim of Venezuelan election-rigging not because she believed it was true, but because it supported her false preconceived narrative.

http://brokeandbroker.com/PDF/USDominionPowellCOMPLAINTDDC210108.pdf

Prayer for relief begins at the bottom of p49 (117)

And Rudy

https://www.businessinsider.com/giuliani-admits-biden-president-after-dominion-lawsuit-2021-1

Former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani acknowledged for the first time Monday that Joe Biden won the 2020 US election.

"As far as this election is concerned, it's over," Giuliani said on his radio show on WABC-AM, according to the New York Times reporter Azi Paybarah.

"Biden's the president, she's the vice president," Giuliani added, referring to Vice President Kamala Harris.

Giuliani's statement came hours after Dominion Voting Systems sued him for $1.3 billion and accused him of defamation. The former mayor spent months peddling bogus conspiracy theories alleging that the voting company engaged in widespread electon fraud to deliver Biden the White House and "steal" the 2020 race from former President Donald Trump.

After Dominion filed its lawsuit, Giuliani put out a statement saying the action will "allow me to investigate their history, finances, and practices fully and completely."

Rudy is crowing that the trial will allow him to finally lay out his case? Ooh-la-la. It would be so sweet to see him bitch-slapped with a huge settlement fee PLUS disbarment. What a colossal idiot, hooking up with an ingrate like Trump. He has thoroughly trashed, shredded, torched his reputation. The headstone will no longer read "He led us through 9-11." It will be more like "Here was a turd."
I also want to see him sue Trump for lawyer fees.

They seem to like the 1.3 billion figure.
It's all the same lie, told to the entire world, affecting their one product in multiple markets. Everyone pushing the same lie is part of the same damage to their future marketability.

Might be different numbers if Rudy, say, only pushed the narrative in Penn, and Powell was only ever on Georgia TV...

I'm sure that they have an Excel spread sheet that backs that up with a corporate valuation, etc.

They don't need a valuation in that range, just an historical growth chart that projected that kind of future value prior to the damage wrought by Giuliani's lies.

I'm sure that they have an Excel spread sheet that backs that up with a corporate valuation, etc.

They don't need a valuation in that range, just an historical growth chart that projected that kind of future value prior to the damage wrought by Giuliani's lies.

The calculation is the same as in the Powell complaint:

As illustrated in the examples above, as a result of the viral disinformation campaign, Dominion has been unfairly subjected to the hatred, contempt, and distrust of tens of millions of American voters, and the elected officials who are Dominion’s actual and potential customers have received emails, letters, and calls from their constituents demanding that they avoid contracting with Dominion or using Dominion machines. As a result, elected officials, insurers, and potential investors have been deterred from dealing with Dominion, putting Dominion’s contracts in more than two dozen states and hundreds of counties and municipalities in jeopardy and significantly hampering Dominion’s ability to win new contracts. Based on Dominion’s historic financial track record, contract pipeline, retention and renewal rates, and new business capture rates, as well as the nature, severity, pervasiveness, and permanence of the viral disinformation campaign, current projections show lost profits of $200 million over the next five years, when reduced to present value. In addition, the viral disinformation campaign has irreparably damaged Dominion’s reputation and destroyed the resale value of a business that was worth between $450 million and $500 million before the viral disinformation campaign.

This is wishful thinking but in some areas of a civil case, various things can be subpoenaed. It would be great if such things were text messages/emails/other communications that detailed the con job and exactly who was in on it, including Mr Big himself. Trump can potentially can afford a billion $ suit, but Powell and Rudy would declare bankruptcy. And hopefully also Dominion is thinking of this.

This is wishful thinking but in some areas of a civil case, various things can be subpoenaed. It would be great if such things were text messages/emails/other communications that detailed the con job and exactly who was in on it, including Mr Big himself. Trump can potentially can afford a billion $ suit, but Powell and Rudy would declare bankruptcy. And hopefully also Dominion is thinking of this.

They probably don't care if they get a dime, as long as Rudy and Powell are publicly humiliated and disbarred. Hell, with all of the recounts showing their equipment performed pretty much flawlessly, the Trumpers may have actually helped Dominion's business. But the death threats, etc. are a different matter.

Rudy Giuliani Warns Dominion Against Lawsuit: 'I'm a Crazy Guy, I Really Am, Just Really Crazy'

During Monday's edition of Giuliani's Chat with the Mayor program on WABC, Giuliani scoffed at the billion-dollar lawsuit.

"What do you think I am, some kind of jackass?" Giuliani asked. "That's intended to frighten me, you want to frighten me. You want to scare me, like you have some of these companies and stations that have gone ahead and kissed your you-know-what. Because they're afraid of you."

"Well, I tell you I'm a crazy guy, I really am, I'm just really crazy," Giuliani continued. "So not only haven't you scared me, you've actually given me something that I couldn't get through the censorship that's been set up so nobody can see your machines."

Giuliani asserted that the lawsuit would allow his "independent experts" to examine the voting machines and delve deeply into Dominion's investors and business connections.

"You got the wrong guy here," Giuliani said. "I think a couple of the others you sued are the wrong people too. I just don't think they're able to be frightened."

Didn't he say he already had a guy that examined the machines?

Giggles said:
Giuliani asserted that the lawsuit would allow his "independent experts" to examine the voting machines and delve deeply into Dominion's investors and business connections.
Wait, the lawsuit is about claims you already made, NOW you get to use that to try to find evidence for your claims?

I scoff.

They probably don't care if they get a dime, as long as Rudy and Powell are publicly humiliated and disbarred. Hell, with all of the recounts showing their equipment performed pretty much flawlessly, the Trumpers may have actually helped Dominion's business. But the death threats, etc. are a different matter.

I doubt that this is true.

Even if Dominion only got half, that's 6.5 billion. And if they spend half of that on lawyers it's still 3.25 billion.

And they can demonstrate publicly, in court, that their system is reliable and secure. Put their claims up against the claims of the top TeaParty politicians and their best lawyers.

Yeah, I'm seeing a huge win for Dominion. Probably worth more than a billion by the time they're done fucking the Trumpistas.
Tom

And of course, after these lawsuits start, Faux Nooz, OANN, Newsmax, et al have to be very, very careful how they report this. Or might get their sorry asses sued also.

Back
Top Bottom