• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Erik Erikson's Stages of Psychological Development

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
 Erikson's stages of psychosocial development Erik Erikson | Psychosocial Stages | Simply Psychology
Erikson maintained that personality develops in a predetermined order through eight stages of psychosocial development, from infancy to adulthood. During each stage, the person experiences a psychosocial crisis which could have a positive or negative outcome for personality development.
His stages:
StagePsychosocial CrisisVirtueAge
1Trust vs. MistrustHope0 - 1 1/2
2Autonomy vs. ShameWill1 1/2 - 3
3Initiative vs. GuiltPurpose3 - 5
4Industry vs. InferiorityCompetency5 - 12
5Identity vs. Role ConfusionFidelity12 - 18
6Intimacy vs. IsolationLove18 - 40
7Generativity vs. StagnationCare40 - 65
8Ego Integrity vs. DespairWisdom65+
This strikes me as excessively schematic, because one can have most or all of these conflicts at any time over most of one's life.

Erikson's stages of psychosocial development Erik Erikson | Psychosocial Stages | Simply Psychology
Erikson maintained that personality develops in a predetermined order through eight stages of psychosocial development, from infancy to adulthood. During each stage, the person experiences a psychosocial crisis which could have a positive or negative outcome for personality development.
His stages:
StagePsychosocial CrisisVirtueAge
1Trust vs. MistrustHope0 - 1 1/2
2Autonomy vs. ShameWill1 1/2 - 3
3Initiative vs. GuiltPurpose3 - 5
4Industry vs. InferiorityCompetency5 - 12
5Identity vs. Role ConfusionFidelity12 - 18
6Intimacy vs. IsolationLove18 - 40
7Generativity vs. StagnationCare40 - 65
8Ego Integrity vs. DespairWisdom65+
This strikes me as excessively schematic, because one can have most or all of these conflicts at any time over most of one's life.
Sounds a lot like the original Enneagram system, with the emphasis on psychosocial crises as a means for synthesizing conflicting personal qualities and the backdoor commitment to churchy virtues. And unlike the Enneagram, not accounting at all for individual variations in temperament. I tend to think that such things are helpful to people when they are, but usually aren't.

Back
Top Bottom