• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Experience With Google Fiber

Coleman Smith

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I am considering changing internet providers and I am wondering what your experience with Google fiber has been.

Ability to reach a live person for issues.

How long does the introductory price last and what are the subsequent rates after the initial rate is aged out.

Signal stability.

Technical service reliability.

I have AT&T, but it is 1 Gbps ($70 and comes with HBOMAX). Generally, it is solid, I doubt it is really 1 Gbps, but speeds around 300 to 800 Mbps which is pretty darn fast. Overall, very pleased with it. Downloading games, patches, software is ridiculously fast.

One thing to consider... if your desktop or laptop WiFi isn't the appropriate WiFi standard, it might peg well below the Gbps speed. It'll still be fast, but not as fast due to the WiFi standard.

"One thing to consider... if your desktop or laptop WiFi isn't the appropriate WiFi standard, it might peg well below the Gbps speed. It'll still be fast, but not as fast due to the WiFi standard."

I went to Best Buy and bought a WiFi receptor on a UMB stick and installed it with the software.

That cured my speed problem.

"One thing to consider... if your desktop or laptop WiFi isn't the appropriate WiFi standard, it might peg well below the Gbps speed. It'll still be fast, but not as fast due to the WiFi standard."

I went to Best Buy and bought a WiFi receptor on a UMB stick and installed it with the software.

Ooh, good idea. I;ll have tp get one of those for my older laptop.

You might not have to, assuming you aren't on a real old WiFi standard. Just, you can't do any speed testing on the Laptop to determine what speed you home internet is. It'll just get you the speed you laptop/computer can do.

You might not have to, assuming you aren't on a real old WiFi standard. Just, you can't do any speed testing on the Laptop to determine what speed you home internet is. It'll just get you the speed you laptop/computer can do.
I upgraded to a new high speed router some months ago and my laptop is 16 years old so I'm sure its wifi is very outdated.

I am paying $10 for 600 mbit
Actually it started as 30mbit. But then for some reason they made it 600 mbit.

I'll also recommend that you can also just... Buy a new laptop wifi card and install it on the inside on most laptops.

Otherwise the USB units that are best the ones that barely stick out at all, just little nubs with most of it buried inside the inserty bit.

They may run a bit slow sometimes, but nothing beats knowing your internet stick won't hose your USB port if you have to switch rooms without shutting anything down or losing connection.

I would study the question more before buying new internal WiFi card.
First, some manufacturers, at least in the past, were not allowing random WiFi cards, only the one which was installed originally.
Second I am not 100% sure that builtin antennas work for in 5Ghz band if it was originally 2.4Ghz WiFi. I am almost certain it won't be a problem but I would ask someone.

I'll also recommend that you can also just... Buy a new laptop wifi card and install it on the inside on most laptops.

Otherwise the USB units that are best the ones that barely stick out at all, just little nubs with most of it buried inside the inserty bit.

They may run a bit slow sometimes, but nothing beats knowing your internet stick won't hose your USB port if you have to switch rooms without shutting anything down or losing connection.
I'm on my third wifi card and I've never come across an upgraded card to fit my machine. But I'll take a look.

ETA: It looks like I can get an upgraded wifi card. I always looked for my specific model card so that's what I got. Thanks for the tip! (y)

Last edited:
First, some manufacturers, at least in the past, were not allowing random WiFi cards, only the one which was installed originally.
Second I am not 100% sure that builtin antennas work for in 5Ghz band if it was originally 2.4Ghz WiFi. I am almost certain it won't be a problem but I would ask someone.
I regularly chromecast. Chromecasting requires I stay on the 2.4 band. At least it did the last time I checked. Yeah, I know. It seems silly.

I regularly chromecast. Chromecasting requires I stay on the 2.4 band. At least it did the last time I checked. Yeah, I know. It seems silly.
What does WiFi band have to do with Chromecasting?
WiFi Band is just a link between device and router.

Chromecast (1st generation) is only compatible with 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi networks, so it won't list 5 GHz networks when setting up the device. Please make sure the Chromecast is using the 2.4 GHz band. Chromecast (2nd generation) is compatible with both 2.4 GHz WiFi 802.11 b/g/n WiFi networks and 5 GHz networks, so you will see both when setting up the device. If you have a dual band router, you must disable AP isolation. Other devices such as your laptop/computer can use the 5 GHz band; the 5 GHz band will maximize performance when using the Cast extension to cast a tab.
Your device won't even show your router if set to 5ghz.

I still don't understand what chromecast has to do with the suggestion to install faster WiFi card into notebook.

Modern WiFi routers support both bands - 2.4 and 5 Ghz.
To get gigabit speed from your notebook you really need 5 Ghz band. That's all I am saying.

Yes, and if the radio doesn't vibrate on the frequency of that carrier band, it can't talk on that "link"

Yes, and if the radio doesn't vibrate on the frequency of that carrier band, it can't talk on that "link"
great, but it does not prevent other radios from using that band.
Chromecast is not FCC.

Back
Top Bottom