• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Family clashes with Police in Ohio Community pool...

Sajara

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Devlgv-zKao[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIJsGCB0c8[/YOUTUBE]

From what I can tell, all of this was because the black family was asked to leave the pool because they were dressed inappropriately. I don't know if that is true or not, but if it is...I'd probably be pissed off myself.

On the one hand, at least the 12 year old girl was hitting the police officers. It is hard to tell from the surveillance videos, but the pregnant lady's sister and probably her son and daughter were most likely also trying to push the officers off their pregnant mother.

On the other hand, was it really necessary to grab the pregnant mother in the first place? Was it really necessary to require the use of force for something as simple as a dress code violation (although from what I can see the girls are all covered...even wearing one piece bathing suits at that). The pregnant mother looks like she went back in to grab her kids when the police officer grabbed her arm. The family swarmed the officer because the mother was pregnant and they were worried. I would probably have done the same. Arrest me if you want, but I'm protecting the baby.

Is this another case of discrimination or a case of resisting arrest? Was the use of force & pepper-spray warranted?

I want to know why they were booted from the place.

Based on just looking at the video, the family seems to be reacting asymmetrically. There didn't appear to be any unnecessary force, other than probably the pepper spray. Honestly, I'd need more video evidence for more context. The girl was screaming like she was being severely beaten.

So my first impression is the family is guilty of hyperbole. However, I don't know why they were booted from the pool and why they didn't get a refund (though how long were they there, other mitigating circumstances.

I don't want to see an interview of a family and the police. I want to know what the staff was doing before and during the event (why booted, why no refund, why telling 911 the cops were getting beaten?). I also want to know what in the heck the 911 call was all about. She had that family getting reported as Super Negros, breaking out of cuffs with their negro strength and beating on the officers. There didn't seem to be any video evidence of that.

From what I can tell, all of this was because the black family was asked to leave the pool because they were dressed inappropriately. I don't know if that is true or not, but if it is...I'd probably be pissed off myself.
More accurately: it's because they entered after being told to leave.

On the one hand, at least the 12 year old girl was hitting the police officers. It is hard to tell from the surveillance videos, but the pregnant lady's sister and probably her son and daughter were most likely also trying to push the officers off their pregnant mother.
Assault is a crime.

On the other hand, was it really necessary to grab the pregnant mother in the first place?
Does pregnancy give one licence to trespass?

Was it really necessary to require the use of force for something as simple as a dress code violation
No, it's the subsequent trespassing and refusal to leave that necessitated it. I mean what are the cops supposed to do at that point?

(although from what I can see the girls are all covered...even wearing one piece bathing suits at that)
Inappropriate attire doesn't necessarily mean immodest or overly revealing. Here are the rules. For example gym shorts would be banned. Too bad neither the mother nor her lawyer offered any details though.

The pregnant mother looks like she went back in to grab her kids when the police officer grabbed her arm.
Did she? Too bad her shyster refused to let her say anything of that sort - he didn't claim anything like that either. He merely repeated that the cop should have subdued the 12 year old without physical force.

The family swarmed the officer because the mother was pregnant and they were worried. I would probably have done the same. Arrest me if you want, but I'm protecting the baby.
That was stupid of them.

Is this another case of discrimination or a case of resisting arrest? Was the use of force & pepper-spray warranted?
I do not see any discrimination here. That sheriff was right on - not every time a black person gets arrested is it due to racism.

P.S.: I would like to have seen the segment Kelly announced after this one, the one about yet another false rape case.

So my first impression is the family is guilty of hyperbole. However, I don't know why they were booted from the pool and why they didn't get a refund (though how long were they there, other mitigating circumstances.
Maybe the pool had a no refund policy. I was at a Gwinnett County pool once and the pool was evacuated within minutes of me getting in (somebody puked I think) and they didn't give me a refund although they gave me a free entry voucher.

I don't want to see an interview of a family and the police. I want to know what the staff was doing before and during the event (why booted, why no refund, why telling 911 the cops were getting beaten?). I also want to know what in the heck the 911 call was all about. She had that family getting reported as Super Negros, breaking out of cuffs with their negro strength and beating on the officers. There didn't seem to be any video evidence of that.
Where do you get the claims of "super negro"?

And as far as video evidence, what are we going to do about the real crime here - the vertical video?

On the other hand, was it really necessary to grab the pregnant mother in the first place?
Does pregnancy give one licence to trespass?
In general, pregnant women are given greater leeway.

(although from what I can see the girls are all covered...even wearing one piece bathing suits at that)
Inappropriate attire doesn't necessarily mean immodest or overly revealing. Here are the rules. For example gym shorts would be banned. Too bad neither the mother nor her lawyer offered any details though.
Well, Fox News didn't go digging for any either.

The pregnant mother looks like she went back in to grab her kids when the police officer grabbed her arm.
Did she? Too bad her shyster refused to let her say anything of that sort - he didn't claim anything like that either. He merely repeated that the cop should have subdued the 12 year old without physical force.
Well, seeing that their case seems to be all about alleged injuries suffered (of which I find it suspicious that the lawyer says he has an "understanding" about what her injuries are, that smells very funny to me), it would make sense that he concentrates on that. All truth be told, they could have broken the law and it is still not legal to rough house a 12 year old and break a jaw. If that did happen, there would be a case. And that seems to be where they are trying to angle this.

P.S.: I would like to have seen the segment Kelly announced after this one, the one about yet another false rape case.
Dude, OCD in some other thread.

Maybe the pool had a no refund policy. I was at a Gwinnett County pool once and the pool was evacuated within minutes of me getting in (somebody puked I think) and they didn't give me a refund although they gave me a free entry voucher.
I want an answer, not a subjective guess. That is what a News Company is supposed to do. Give details like that in order to develop a context to the event.

Where do you get the claims of "super negro"?
I didn't use quotes, why did you just accuse me of using quotes for the term. The 911 call says the people were "breaking out of cuffs" and "beating" the officers.

Most news stations these days aren't journalistic sleuths with integrity but rather sensationalistic ass-clowns...but that's a different story.

As far as pregnant women go, yes, they get a little more lee-way. Not a lot, but enough that the officers should have understood why they were maybe being hit and calmed the situation down. I understand that trespassing is a crime and assault is a crime (and assaulting an officer is worse) and that the establishment wanted the family out. Going back in to get your kids seems to me like she was trying to comply.

Who knows if that was really what she was doing though. Like people have mentioned, it is hard to tell what is really going on here.

Derec,
Based on the pool's dress code, I can't see how they'd be in violation from the video.

Also, it might be stupid, but are you saying that you wouldn't step in if your pregnant wife was being man-handled by the police and your protests of "Easy, she's pregnant" weren't doing anything? Like I said, arrest me, but I would. I'd rather be in jail and have a living baby than sitting back doing nothing and watch her possibly get forced to the ground onto her stomach where she might miscarriage.

In general, pregnant women are given greater leeway.
An all-preggers bank robbing crew should be invincible then. Maybe Paul Feig will remake The Town or even better Dog Day Afternoon along those lines ...

Well, Fox News didn't go digging for any either.

What could they do if the lawyer is refusing to give out any information about what happened on the grounds that it would be damaging to her criminal case (as Jesus Christ, JD said, the truth will incriminate you so shut your mouth)?

Well, seeing that their case seems to be all about alleged injuries suffered (of which I find it suspicious that the lawyer says he has an "understanding" about what her injuries are, that smells very funny to me), it would make sense that he concentrates on that. All truth be told, they could have broken the law and it is still not legal to rough house a 12 year old and break a jaw. If that did happen, there would be a case. And that seems to be where they are trying to angle this.
So yet another shyster trying to get a million dollar payday.

Oh, if I find the video I will post it in an appropriate thread. But since she announced it here, it's appropriate to ask.

I want an answer, not a subjective guess. That is what a News Company is supposed to do. Give details like that in order to develop a context to the event.
Ok, here's quoting the aforementioned rules:
Fairfield Aquatic Center Rules and Regulations said:
All sales are final. No cash refunds will be given for admission.
I was merely using my own experience to convey that this is by no means a unique rule.
I didn't use quotes, why did you just accuse me of using quotes for the term.
I used the quotes because I was quoting you. Duh!

The 911 call says the people were "breaking out of cuffs" and "beating" the officers.
I must have missed that. Where does it say that?

What could they do if the lawyer is refusing to give out any information about what happened on the grounds that it would be damaging to her criminal case (as Jesus Christ, JD said, the truth will incriminate you so shut your mouth)?
Call the pool center (or heck, send a "journalist" out to it, ask a few questions.

So yet another shyster trying to get a million dollar payday.
Quite possibly.

Oh, if I find the video I will post it in an appropriate thread. But since she announced it here, it's appropriate to ask.
OCD, you need help.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, here's quoting the aforementioned rules:
Fairfield Aquatic Center Rules and Regulations said:
All sales are final. No cash refunds will be given for admission.
I was merely using my own experience to convey that this is by no means a unique rule.
I didn't use quotes, why did you just accuse me of using quotes for the term.
I used the quotes because I was quoting you. Duh!

The 911 call says the people were "breaking out of cuffs" and "beating" the officers.
I must have missed that. Where does it say that?
They played the 911 call. Maybe you got too excited about false rape accusations you entirely forgot about the video you just watched.

sajara link / 911 call said:
Everything’s going crazy and they're videotaping, trying to make it look like a racist thing and it's not at all.
No, it's absolutely not suspicious that you randomly brought up race in the conversation. White people have videotaped cops too.

I think once the hospital report comes out, the case will likely go away. But still nothing on why they were booted.

Back
Top Bottom