• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Fanny" in British and American English

Mediancat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I'm aware that the word "fanny," which in American English is an extremely mild term for a person's buttocks, is a more vulgar term referring to a part of the female anatomy in British English.

"Fanny" or a variant thereof was also the name of at least two American celebrities over the years, comedian Fanny Brice (from the first half of the 20th century, also the main character in two Streisand movies) and author and comedian Fannie Flagg, author of "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe," which the movie Fried Green Tomatoes was adapted from.

-- how does that tend to be handled in England and envirnos? Are such folks referred to by their first name despite the implications, or no?

Just curious.

Rob

Aus. tends more to the British style in language so I feel I can answer to some extent.

I've never heard anyone hedge around saying "Fanny" as a name, but then saying "fanny" as a body part isn't the catastrophe that it seems to be in the US.

We all manage OK with faggot - which is bread, or old fashioned firewood.

" " fag, which is a cigarette.

" " rubber, which you would call an eraser.

There are bunches of them. It would be interesting to make a list of transAtlantic differences in meaning..

Let's face it, English has so many words with multiple meanings, even diametrically opposite meanings, that we are all used to considering context

People are used to it.

Nobody (other than prepubescent boys) cares about the possibly profane implications of people being called Fanny, any more than they care about the first syllable in the word 'country'.

Fran Drescher's long running sitcom 'The Nanny', with its blaring emphasis on the word in the theme song pretty much killed the novelty for British English speakers. No attempt was made to censor it, so it became de facto 'not rude anymore'.

People still snigger at phrases such as 'Fanny pack', but it seems to me that the word 'fanny' was always a bit childish in overtone, like 'willy' or 'tummy' - adults wanting to be profane say 'cunt', and 'fanny' seems more like the kind of profanity you would expect from an eight year old.

Aus. tends more to the British style in language so I feel I can answer to some extent.

I've never heard anyone hedge around saying "Fanny" as a name, but then saying "fanny" as a body part isn't the catastrophe that it seems to be in the US.

We all manage OK with faggot - which is bread, or old fashioned firewood.

" " fag, which is a cigarette.

" " rubber, which you would call an eraser.

There are bunches of them. It would be interesting to make a list of transAtlantic differences in meaning..

Let's face it, English has so many words with multiple meanings, even diametrically opposite meanings, that we are all used to considering context

Fanny as a body part is not a catastrophe in the United States. My own grandmother and mother and even my dear and devout Southern Baptist Aunt Mary used this term in relationship to what might happen to the bottoms of small children if they didn't stop (doing whatever). Frequently. If any of the kids used it, it wasn't even a raised eyebrow but we did not dare use the word 'butt' unless we were talking about leftover bits of a cigarette. Bottom was acceptable.

Fag as cigarette seems to have gone out of fashion somewhere in the 50's or perhaps early 60's. I only remember reading about it, not ever actually hearing it. As a pejorative for homosexuals: very common place when I was young (and considered worthy of a slap in the face if heard by an adult) but never actually spoken by an adult that I heard, less because it wasn't considered to be polite language than it was thought to not be polite to discuss the possibility of homosexuality, but haven't heard it in a couple of decades, at least. Faggot as firewood is almost unheard of except as an obscure literary reference. The kids (40's and younger) these days don't see anything pejorative about being gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, etc.

Rubber = condom at least by the 70's. Caused an outburst of laughter during the high school staging of Our Town when Tom was urged to wear protective footwear in the rain.

I remember my mother telling us to wear our rubber boots, although they surely were made of something cheaper and less sturdy than actual rubber.

Richard is a name that is uncommon among the under 50 set, and most men I know with that name use Richard or Rich or maybe Ricky rather than Dick. The name was out of contention when naming our own children, as was the name Peter.

I cannot say that I've ever known anyone named Fanny but it doesn't cause any raised eyebrows. I have a Fanny Farmer cookbook and even my sons never raised an eyebrow or made a snide comment.

Don't forget the US assistant chief of protocol in Obama's day, who was called Randy Bumgardner.

Those who served in the British arned forces years ago will remember this:

Is it true that the WRNS (pronounced wrens) WAAf their FANY's with their ATS?

Those who served in the British arned forces years ago will remember this:

Is it true that the WRNS (pronounced wrens) WAAf their FANY's with their ATS?

A LOT of years ago; These are mostly WWII acronyms - WRNS, WAAF and ATS are the female branches of the Navy (Women's Royal Naval Service), Air Force (Women's Auxiliary Air Force) and Army (Auxiliary Territorial Service), respectively.

FANY (First Aid Nursing Yeomanry) was a volunteer organization originally formed in WWI* for women who served as combat medics immediately behind the lines; In WWII the organization provided ambulance drivers (who were seconded to ATS) and was also recruited women for espionage and secret work with the Special Operations Executive. They were renamed as the PRVC (Princess Royal's Volunteer Corps) in 1999, but are still often referenced as FANY(PRVC); Their modern role is to assist with major incident medical response in the Greater London area.

The ATS was disbanded in 1949, and replaced by the WRAC (Women's Royal Army Corps); Similarly the WAAF became the WRAF on the same day (Feb 1st, 1949). The WRNS continued until the early 1990s, when it was merged into the (until then exclusively male) Royal Navy.

Certainly I can recall my grandfather's generation having a good chuckle at these sorts of jokes, but then, they had to make their own entertainment in those days.

*ETA - I just looked it up, and I was wrong - FANY wasn't formed in WWI, but in the Boer War in 1907.

Last edited:
I'm aware that the word "fanny," which in American English is an extremely mild term for a person's buttocks, is a more vulgar term referring to a part of the female anatomy in British English.

"Fanny" or a variant thereof was also the name of at least two American celebrities over the years, comedian Fanny Brice (from the first half of the 20th century, also the main character in two Streisand movies) and author and comedian Fannie Flagg, author of "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe," which the movie Fried Green Tomatoes was adapted from.

-- how does that tend to be handled in England and envirnos? Are such folks referred to by their first name despite the implications, or no?

Just curious.

Rob

There are plenty of people named Dick, Peter, and John Thomas, and except for the case a now diseased race car designer named Dick Trickle, no one thought much about it.

The main reason such names as Fanny and Dick become euphemisms is because they can be spoken in polite company. That's the function of a euphemism.

There used to be a TV cook in Britain called Fanny Craddock. A famous faux pas was when she was making doughnuts, her husband turned to the camera and says "May all your doughnuts turn out like Fanny's". True story, apparently.

Fanny is often used to describe someone that is not to be taken seriously/irrelevant, stupid even.

My favorite inappropriate Fanny reference is Lake Fanny Hooe, up on the Keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan. It just sounds dirty, even in American. Gorgeous little lake, though, camped there once in the wintertime before the mosquito hordes had quite arrived.

sunrise_over_lake_fanny_hooe_by_dailyb-dah6v7u.jpg

Back
Top Bottom