• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fargo

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Anyone watching the FX TV series based on the film?

I must say I am impressed with it so far (three episodes). I was skeptical at first, the film being such a singularity I thought the show might end up being not much more than a cheesy bid to cash in on the film's success. But nope, it turns out to be a very satisfying continuation of the film even with different story, different town, and different characters. It's like wishing for the impossible and it magically really happens.

Martin Freeman is really fantastic as Lester. Some similarity to Jerry from the film, but a different character. I love the murky conflicts. I can't help but want Malvo to get away with everything, but also want Lester to win and be free of all his troubles, but also want Molly to prevail... It's wonderful. :)

http://www.fxnetworks.com/fargo/

Yeah, I am watching it. Very good so far. All the acting has been great. They make a big deal in the opening credits that the story is completely true. I don't want to google it and find out spoilers about what happens, but do you know whether it is in fact a true story and not just "inspired" by a true story? (I hate he "inspired" thing because technically all fiction is "inspired" by non-fiction).

Not at all true, and neither was the film. Those statements are just artistic license.

But so widely believed that snopes has a page on it: http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/fargo.asp

Reminds me of the disclaimer at the front of Shane Maloney's excellent Murray Whelan novels:

"The author of this book, its setting and characters are entirely fictitious. There is no such place as the state of Victoria. The Australian Labor Party exists only in the imagination of its members."

:D

oTxUDPk.gif

Not at all true, and neither was the film. Those statements are just artistic license.
I think I learned that it wasn't true at IIDB or FRDB. Certainly had more truth in Fargo than in Argo.

I feel like the show is weakening due to the cartoonish level of stupidity of every character, except the bad guys.

Fantastic show. Billy Bob Thornton is a scene stealer throughout. The sign language argument in the diner last episode was great. However, I can't look at Keith Carradine and not be constantly reminded of his role in Dexter, eating cucumber sandwiches while courting Deb.

In the latest episode, the one airing June 3rd, Malvo strangles someone who appears to be a cop while he's standing at a urinal. Who was the victim and what connection does this have to the rest of the plot?

In the latest episode, the one airing June 3rd, Malvo strangles someone who appears to be a cop while he's standing at a urinal. Who was the victim and what connection does this have to the rest of the plot?

His only significance is that he's the cop guarding the room in the hospital where the deaf hitman is staying, on a day when Malvo happens to want to visit the hitman. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

His only significance is that he's the cop guarding the room in the hospital where the deaf hitman is staying, on a day when Malvo happens to want to visit the hitman. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Ah OK, thx!

As the season went on, each episode was less impressive than the last, but it did manage to keep my interest to the end, and did surprise me at least once per episode. I found the ending satisfying, if not mind blowing.

OOOOOH, more Fargo coming!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/06/fargo-showrunner-season-2-interview/

The first season of FX’s small-town crime thriller impressed critics, stunned skeptical Coen brothers devotes, and earned 18 Emmy nominations. But now showrunner Noah Hawley is attempting a complete creative reboot for season two. There’s a new small town setting (Luverne, Minnesota), a new time period (1979), a new story (about rival mob gangs) and new characters (including a married couple played by Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons and a young, not-yet-cast version of the first season’s retired state cop Lou Solverson).

OOOOOH, more Fargo coming!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/06/fargo-showrunner-season-2-interview/

The first season of FX’s small-town crime thriller impressed critics, stunned skeptical Coen brothers devotes, and earned 18 Emmy nominations. But now showrunner Noah Hawley is attempting a complete creative reboot for season two. There’s a new small town setting (Luverne, Minnesota), a new time period (1979), a new story (about rival mob gangs) and new characters (including a married couple played by Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons and a young, not-yet-cast version of the first season’s retired state cop Lou Solverson).

Cool. It will be a tough task to achieve as high of quality with a whole new cast and Kirsten Dunst isn't a great start, but I'll be watching it.

Back
Top Bottom