• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

FIFA Women's World Cup 2015

Sajara

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
For whatever reason, I didn't even know the Women's World Cup had started. Poor advertising in the US as usual I guess.

So, I caught up on a few of the games and while it looks like there will be some great matchups coming...the refs already seem to be making bad calls.

The Kiwi's got robbed against the Netherlands. They should have had a penalty kick that could have tied the game but the refs never called it.

I'm not even sure the Canada penalty kick was fully earned, but I can see why they called it.

Anyone else going to be watching this World Cup?

No cable TV, but I'll read any updates here. I'm interested if it shows up in front of me.

I watched Sweden v Nigeria tonight; first game I've been able to catch. Nigeria look excellent in attack, but they can't defend setpieces. Should be plenty of goals in their games. This one finished 3-3.

I may attend a game at some point, but my schedule's been so shitty lately I haven't even been able to watch the televised coverage let alone make it to a live match. It's a shame though; while it's sad that women's world cup is treated like an afterthought, it is international football I can watch with only a fraction of the sense of guilt and disgust FIFA normally inspires.

I kind of didn't believe the score in Germany's first game when I saw it.

I watched the Canada-China game because I was at a bbq and my friend there was watching it. It was surprisingly entertaining and I'll probably watch some more.

The Canadians really need to work on their plays, though, instead of just randomly kicking it towards the goal whenever they get the chance. Taking a shot and hoping for a rebound may work in hockey, but it doesn't seem to be an overly effective soccer move.

I'm not even sure the Canada penalty kick was fully earned, but I can see why they called it.

I think it was totallly earned. The Chinese player blatantly clothelined the Canadian while she was going for the goal. Also, it helped the Canadian team and was therefore totally valid in a completely non-biased way.

Saw good portions of USA v Nigeria. Almost looked like it was an All-Star game based on just going out there instead of having a plan other than, "Score on set pieces". The USA was the better team on paper, and in general, the better team on the pitch however they lacked in the putting the ball on target category, something required to score. Nigeria had the best chances of the night, and probably should have drawn.

The Fox commentating team gets high marks for Ethnocentric Game Call. You'd swear the US were the underdog the way they were calling it, nevermind how they seemed to not give Nigeria any credit for anything.

Crap way to go out, freak goal in extra time. England underdogs ? I thought they were the holders ?

USA! USA!

2015 FIFA Women's World Cup Final Schedule

Sunday, July 5, 7 p.m. EST United States vs Japan (Fox)

Rematch of last time where Japan won on penalties, the US team appeared exhausted and had one of the worst Penalty Shootouts in a long time. It was oddly enough forgotten with Brazil's Men's team missing all four of their penalties the same day against Paraguay in the Copa America. Should be interesting. Can Amy Wambach not score and not blame the turf? Can Hope Solo get through to the Final without getting arrested on assault charges? Does anyone know a name of a player on Japan?

America in the Woman's World Cup seems like New Zealand for Rugby. Not many titles, despite really being one of the best out there.
Crap way to go out, freak goal in extra time. England underdogs ? I thought they were the holders ?
Where in the world do you get your news from?! England haven't even been in the final a Woman's World Cup.

America in the Woman's World Cup seems like New Zealand for Rugby. Not many titles, despite really being one of the best out there.
Where in the world do you get your news from?! England haven't even been in the final a Woman's World Cup.

Oh. Well the way the English media go on about it, I assumed that England had been winning this competition for years. The men's national team won the World Cup last year right ? Or nearly did. Or were favorites to win. Or something.

Oh. Well the way the English media go on about it, I assumed that England had been winning this competition for years. The men's national team won the World Cup last year right ? Or nearly did. Or were favorites to win. Or something.
Alright, you are just trolling now.

Alright, you are just trolling now.

A tongue in cheek comment about the English media's tendency to overstate the national team's chances to win the world cup. But I thought I did hear one of the commentators say England were the holders of the women's world cup but I didn't hear that right obviously. They must have been talking about another team.

Both Japan and England looked kinda weak and disorganized. None of the 3 goals were really earned (the first 2 penalty kicks were poor calls: Outside the box and a total flop).

The US looked really strong against Germany and gave themselves many great chances for more goals than the 2. They just need to capitalize more.

There was a 5 minute interval where England almost score 3 times. Beyond that, I was thinking shootout after 30 minutes of extra periods. Which would benefit the US because of the extra time running on a hot field with one less day to rest before the next match.

US and Japan...Japan won the last one over US in the final. A big thank you, to all the Americans who came north to fill the seats and help break attendance records.

Back
Top Bottom