• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Flat Earth outrage among skeptics

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Here's my latest pet peeve. It's not with flat earthers. They're predictably dumb. My problem is with otherwise intelligent and thoughtful skeptics having a problem with flat eathers and talking about it.

Upset skeptic "I don't understand how anybody can believe in flat earth"

Sensible person "These people are boring as fuck, and stupid, and just desperately want to be interesting."

That should be the end of it. Why are skeptics giving these people any attention? Why are we watching documentaries about them? Why are we still discussing it, years later? Why are we still sharing posts about them on Facebook? Why are these so interesting that they warrant any discussion?

Loads of people are dumb as bricks. We don't give the rest of them any attention other than the passing chuckle. What makes these people so damn special that we can't stop talking about them? They're no more dumb than UFO'logists or crystal healers, and we don't endlessly go on about them.

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
So terribly sorry you're offended by people talking on a topic that interests them.

I guess i'll put you on ignore, to avoid the possibility (after this) of continuing a conversation past the point where you have said all that needs to ever be said, and in the only way it needs to be said.

ideologyhunter

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
atheism/beatnikism
Another benefit to thrashing the luddites: they raise their offspring to be luddites, and damn it, there needs to be a publicly accessed "other" that those kids can, hopefully, encounter and think about.

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
So terribly sorry you're offended by people talking on a topic that interests them.

I guess i'll put you on ignore, to avoid the possibility (after this) of continuing a conversation past the point where you have said all that needs to ever be said, and in the only way it needs to be said.

But why does i interest people to the degree it does? I find it mystifying?

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Here's my latest pet peeve. It's not with flat earthers. They're predictably dumb. My problem is with otherwise intelligent and thoughtful skeptics having a problem with flat eathers and talking about it.

Sensible person "These people are boring as fuck, and stupid, and just desperately want to be interesting."

That should be the end of it. ...

And yet, here's a new thread on TFT.

Physician, heal thyself.

Reactions: WAB

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
But is there anyone that is actually a flat earther? Isn’t it like Duck Dynasty... a fake thing?

DBT

Contributor
As unbelievable as it seems, I think that there are actual flat earthers. I have come across fundamentalist Christians who earnestly argued for it.

It takes an Industrial Grade of ignorance to believe in a flat earth, but apparently, astonishing as it is, it can be done.

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Why do you find it interesting that some skeptics find it interesting that some people believe the earth is flat?

I don't know. That's why I created this thread.

I do know why people care. It's always fun to talk about how stupid idiots are, since it elevates ourselves. But flat earth is so obviously wrong, there's nothing much to argue against.

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
But is there anyone that is actually a flat earther? Isn’t it like Duck Dynasty... a fake thing?

I think there are. But it's not intellectual people. So their opinions don't matter.

I know a woman who believes all kinds of nonsense because she believes she has psychic powers and can feel what is true. There's no point arguing against that because she didn't reach her beliefs via rational means. She believes earth is hollow and there lives dinosaurs inside. My reply to that was, "oh, really" and then I changed the subject

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Physician, heal thyself.

I'm not talking about flat earthers. I'm talking about skeptics inability to bring up topics that interest me. Its something different

Jokodo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
humanist

Physician, heal thyself.

I'm not talking about flat earthers. I'm talking about skeptics inability to bring up topics that interest me. Its something different

Skeptics are under no obligation to restrict themselves to topics you find interesting.

In other news, the world wasn't built for you.

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Skeptics are under no obligation to restrict themselves to topics you find interesting.

In other news, the world wasn't built for you.

Just as I'm free to be annoyed by anything I wish to. This annoys me. Anybody is free to not care about my annoyance. I'm a big boy. I can handle it.

DBT

Contributor
Isn't astonishing that there are still people - apparently otherwise normal, no brain damage, not intellectually impaired - who believe in a flat earth?

What does it say about the education system? What does it say about a general understanding of science, physics, astronomy, etc?

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Isn't astonishing that there are still people - apparently otherwise normal, no brain damage, not intellectually impaired - who believe in a flat earth?

What does it say about the education system? What does it say about a general understanding of science, physics, astronomy, etc?

Is it really? We live in a world where a lot of people believe in God? Is that any stranger?

So far these people have zero influence on policy or anything much. So not really a problem... at all.

On social matters, I put these in the same category as people who are passionate about sports or sailing... While their money could be put to better use, for society,... they're not doing any harm. So what's the biggie?

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I didn't know flat earthers received any attention, let alone lot of attention. Is this in Europe ? But in general, curiosities such as flat earthers, doomsday cults, survivalists, ghost hunters or whatever get a little cycle of attention every so often, on slow news days where the news anchor says "up next we talk to a guy who thinks his pet gerbil is his reincarnated grandmother". It's just dumb fluff and you switch it off. I doubt the sincerity of people who claim thy think the earth is flat anyway. I heard something on the radio a guy was starting a gofundme to buy a rocket to get himself into space to see if the earth was flat. A dumb filler piece on radio.

skepticalbip

Contributor
Searching for reality along the long and winding r
Basic Beliefs
Everything we know is wrong (to some degree)
I didn't know flat earthers received any attention, let alone lot of attention. Is this in Europe ? But in general, curiosities such as flat earthers, doomsday cults, survivalists, ghost hunters or whatever get a little cycle of attention every so often, on slow news days where the news anchor says "up next we talk to a guy who thinks his pet gerbil is his reincarnated grandmother". It's just dumb fluff and you switch it off. I doubt the sincerity of people who claim thy think the earth is flat anyway. I heard something on the radio a guy was starting a gofundme to buy a rocket to get himself into space to see if the earth was flat. A dumb filler piece on radio.

He did actually build his rocket and blasted off in it. You may enjoy this:

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist

Why do you find it interesting that some skeptics find it interesting that some people believe the earth is flat?

I do know why people care. It's always fun to talk about how stupid idiots are, since it elevates ourselves. But flat earth is so obviously wrong, there's nothing much to argue against.

Because flat earthism is a gateway to even more damaging stupidity. Once you have been trained to be truly stupid, the sky is the limit.

DBT

Contributor

Is it really? We live in a world where a lot of people believe in God? Is that any stranger?

So far these people have zero influence on policy or anything much. So not really a problem... at all.

On social matters, I put these in the same category as people who are passionate about sports or sailing... While their money could be put to better use, for society,... they're not doing any harm. So what's the biggie?

Some might say that existence of God/Creator, with no evidence for or against, is not falsifiable. Hence however remote, it is a possibility, while the idea of a Flat Earth has overwhelming evidence against it. More than sufficient evidence to not only prove FE false, but show it to be a completely absurd notion.

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Because flat earthism is a gateway to even more damaging stupidity. Once you have been trained to be truly stupid, the sky is the limit.

How isn't flat earthism the end of the line? How could it get any dumber than this?

Kharakov

Quantum Hot Dog
Basic Beliefs
Don't step on mine.
Wise move. Wouldn't want to risk reading something interesting.

Bronzeage

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Pragmatic
I don't believe in flat earthers. I think they are a fantasy made up by people and don't exist in real life.

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I don't believe in flat earthers. I think they are a fantasy made up by people and don't exist in real life.

I think this is more true than we're led to believe. They get a lot of attention. But it's such a stupid belief, it can't be more than a handful believers

DBT

Contributor
How stupid is the idea of a six thousand year world/universe....yet there are those who argue for it, and appear to actually believe what they are arguing for.

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
It only looks round because of the local space time distortion. Gravity actually tends to make things flat.

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
How stupid is the idea of a six thousand year world/universe....yet there are those who argue for it, and appear to actually believe what they are arguing for.

There's a big difference. A huge difference. People who believe in a six thousand year universe swing political power. It's worthy of our attention. Flat Earthers wield no power and never will. It's clearly a club for people who aren't welcome anywhere else and who enjoy life on the fringes and margins of the world. As long as that's all they are, there's zero risk the rest of us. And since their ideas are as idiotic as YECs, then we can ignore them.

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic

There's a big difference. A huge difference. People who believe in a six thousand year universe swing political power. It's worthy of our attention. Flat Earthers wield no power and never will. It's clearly a club for people who aren't welcome anywhere else and who enjoy life on the fringes and margins of the world. As long as that's all they are, there's zero risk the rest of us. And since their ideas are as idiotic as YECs, then we can ignore them.

Very good point. I do not know about Europe over here the idea of ancient aliens being the source of civilization has a following. Several cable shows have been on for years.

skepticalbip

Contributor
Basic Beliefs

In a venn diagram showing those who believe in a six thousand year old universe and those who believe in a flat Earth, there is a significant overlap.

DBT

Contributor
Yes, an overlap must be there because there is clearly a motive for believing in a flat earth, which is a belief relating to special creation. No such thing as a flat earth could possibly form naturally.

T.G.G. Moogly

Traditional Atheist
Basic Beliefs
egalitarian
Freaky claims and beliefs pique the curiosity of rational people. A flat-earther is a freak show that you've got to see to believe, which is why people spend time to go see it.

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Very good point. I do not know about Europe over here the idea of ancient aliens being the source of civilization has a following. Several cable shows have been on for years.

Europeans are a cautious and conservative lot. We're mostly into good food and good sex. The middle-class is also into art. These are the only things we'll be truly passionate about. We tend to be agnostic about most things. Ideas like Flat Earth or YEC will float around but not really get a foothold. Europeans seem to avoid joining fan clubs, unless it's sports. Compared to my American friends Europeans read more philosophy and expose themselves to more ideas, especially through literature. I think this acts as a inoculation against getting too crazy.

We also like being against anything Americans are for, because Europeans feels a bit insecure about once having been the greatest and most powerful, and now most certainly aren't. So the fact that YEC and Flat Earth is big in USA, means we should be against it.

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

In a venn diagram showing those who believe in a six thousand year old universe and those who believe in a flat Earth, there is a significant overlap.

I was going to call bullshit. Did some googling... yup. You are right. Wow. Mind blown. I've now changed my mind. I think it's worthy of outrage, since creationists certainly are dangerous. I did not make this connection before. Thanks for enlightening me. Seems like this is just Intelligent Design, round 2.

T.G.G. Moogly

Traditional Atheist
Basic Beliefs
egalitarian
Freaky claims and beliefs pique the curiosity of rational people. A flat-earther is a freak show that you've got to see to believe, which is why people spend time to go see it.

Is that you Mr. Barnum?

This is how the RCC sustained itself for centuries and continues to do so. All those pilgrimage sites had their freak attractions like a vile where the blood came back to life or the rock grotto where a magic lady appeared to children and then made a spring. These are freak show attractions of the first order.

All flat-earthers need to do to get a real foothold is work in a little religious freakiness. They need to find golden tablets and seer stones, discover a story about the first flat-earther who died for his beliefs, before ascending into the firmament. Once the IRS recognizes them as a religion they're good to go.

As goofy claims go a flat earth is pretty tame. No one is changing food into a zombie and then eating the zombie and drinking its blood. No one is wearing magic underpanties or funny hats or chastising the money changers. They need to teach how to find your flat zone and become one with your center. Where's their great teacher wearing a flat disc on his or her head? They need to seriously jazz things up, they're nowhere near approaching crazy enough to have a following.

Somewhere out there is the flattest spot on earth, the holy of holies, the sacred place where you can hear the flatness speaking. Honestly, these guys are amateurs and need a shot in the arm. They actually need a P.T. Barnum.

skepticalbip

Contributor
Basic Beliefs

Is that you Mr. Barnum?

This is how the RCC sustained itself for centuries and continues to do so. All those pilgrimage sites had their freak attractions like a vile where the blood came back to life or the rock grotto where a magic lady appeared to children and then made a spring. These are freak show attractions of the first order.

All flat-earthers need to do to get a real foothold is work in a little religious freakiness. They need to find golden tablets and seer stones, discover a story about the first flat-earther who died for his beliefs, before ascending into the firmament. Once the IRS recognizes them as a religion they're good to go.

As goofy claims go a flat earth is pretty tame. No one is changing food into a zombie and then eating the zombie and drinking its blood. No one is wearing magic underpanties or funny hats or chastising the money changers. They need to teach how to find your flat zone and become one with your center. Where's their great teacher wearing a flat disc on his or her head? They need to seriously jazz things up, they're nowhere near approaching crazy enough to have a following.

Somewhere out there is the flattest spot on earth, the holy of holies, the sacred place where you can hear the flatness speaking. Honestly, these guys are amateurs and need a shot in the arm. They actually need a P.T. Barnum.

Absolutely and the reason for my comment. You are the first I have seen that expressed a recognition of the great market potential there. Old P.T. would be proud of you, with proper marketing this would easily outdo his Fiji Mermaid (or The Fejee Mermaid as he promoted it).

Last edited:
Top Bottom