• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pinned Folding team - The Godless Ones

Denotes a thread or post that is permanently displayed at the top of the subforum.
Didn't we already have a folding team dating back to the FRDB days if not to the IIDB days?

Yup, same one AFAIK.

There was a thread at FRDB where a few of us would check in.
I was just starting one here so Ray J would have something to link too when the other site is finally shut down.

I am already folding with another team. I just thought I would drop by and tell you about using the Chrome application to do the folding. This has two great advantages
1. You get about double the points using it.
2. Work units are very much smaller. Depending on your hardware they will take between 5 - 30 minutes each.

The Chrome app can be downloaded here https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/foldinghome/hmnbjdgjgikbkapaolimfoidihobnofo?hl=en-US/
Other information can be read from here https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=25878

I was contributing to this a couple of years ago but the Folding@Home app kept crashing on this computer and I had to keep killing it and restarting it, so I gave up and forgot about it.

I'm back up and churning out work units now. Don't have much in the way of CPU power to contribute but it's better than nothing.

Funny, I remember the 'folding@home phrase from both the previous forums. But I had never explored it or connected it to the protein folding problem. Probably 15 years ago, when I was running a non-profit concerned with genetic discrimination and the extreme over-promising by the bio-techs and the Human Genome Project, I actually was encouraged by the existence and enormity of the problem. And I remain heartened by its persistence in the face of this kind of massive effort.

While human genetics has advanced our medical practices and health ever so modestly (and created billions in wealth for scientist-entrepreneurs, Wall Streeters and educational patent-funded endowments, I think the dangers of this type of knowledge and the mis-use of it outweigh those gains and are likely to do so, perhaps forever.

I am already folding with another team. I just thought I would drop by and tell you about using the Chrome application to do the folding. This has two great advantages
2. Work units are very much smaller. Depending on your hardware they will take between 5 - 30 minutes each.

The Chrome app can be downloaded here https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/foldinghome/hmnbjdgjgikbkapaolimfoidihobnofo?hl=en-US/
Other information can be read from here https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=25878

Interesting

I tried the Chrome folder on my desktop (paused the other program) and it's taking about 5 min to complete a WU. Don't know it the total points will equal/surpass it's normal output but it's really cranking them out :)

Sent from my portable distraction device

Interesting! I'll have to try this out!

Interesting! I'll have to try this out!

It is still a good thing to do and you now earn 125 points per WU.

125 points isn't that many, but I guess if I could get 48+/day (at the 30min/WU rate mentioned above), that might be worth it. I mean, with 2 WUs complete since Sunday, I have 650 points for the week so far.

eta: I've received over 1,500 points for a single WU before, but that usually took several days to complete.

It is still a good thing to do and you now earn 125 points per WU.

Forgive the ignorance but what do the points do?

Sorry but if you are after something like $ you are out of luck. There are tables like the one in the OP and the more points you have the higher up in the table you are. It also shows how much good you have done for the cause.

125 points isn't that many, but I guess if I could get 48+/day (at the 30min/WU rate mentioned above), that might be worth it. I mean, with 2 WUs complete since Sunday, I have 650 points for the week so far.

eta: I've received over 1,500 points for a single WU before, but that usually took several days to complete.

I get 10,000+ regularly on a single WU.
It usually takes a day to complete on my i5-3470 @ 3.2GHz using the desktop program.
Daily output from the Chrome app was lower due (I think) to lost time uploading/downloading so many WUs

Oh no! There's now a team called 'Christians against cancer' which is gaining on us! At current rates, they'll overtake us in less than 2 months. I was just able to add a work machine, but it doesn't fold very fast, despite the dual 2.33GHz cores. Well, a few more points/WUs is better than none, I guess. Still wish we could get some people back to folding again.

On a personal note, I'm less than 20k points from rejoining the top 20 in total points on the team!

One desktop just died, first guess a capacitor overheating in this record breaking summer. I confess that I won't be spending a lot of money to revive it just for F@H - it wasn't used for much more than that. I just got one more laptop and will try to teach it folding. Another discarded laptop ran Win ME, and was too powerless to have F@H installed.

I finally realized (I think) that the passkey thing isn't just to keep others form using your ID (What would the problem be if they did? Wouldn't their results just add to your/our points?) but that there's some points benefit to it. Are there other boosters that I've overlooked?

... the passkey thing ... there's some points benefit to it.
There is? How did you find that out?

- - - Updated - - -

... record breaking summer.
Really? Ours has been pretty average. Had some real heat very early, but since then it's been very tolerable. We haven't even been in the pool very much this year.

First off, a big welcome to the team to Quetzacoafold! I see you've been working your way quickly up the charts and are now nearly in the top 250 team members in the points standings. Good work!

Next, now with 3 machines working — with passkeys installed :D — I've been raking in the points this month! And in a pat-myself-on-the-back moment: I'm back in the top 20! Just passed Anticontrame and according to the projections, I should catch Enoemos within 2 weeks! And the team output has been erratic, but in 3 of the last 4 days we've exceeded the point total of what our trend line has predicted. I'd love to see that trend line start turning more positive.

And a big welcome to Puck, whom some of you old-timers may remember. I posted about the Folding@Home project on Facebook and she decided to join on to the team. She's already in the top 250 team members, catching up on Quetzacoafold. As for me, I'm having a record month. Oh, and I noticed that the team trendline is indeed inching up! Nice work to all team members!

And Puck has just overtaken Quetzacoafold! They are both in the top 225 now! :applause:

Back
Top Bottom