• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Force

fast

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Christian
I’m trying to think something through, but I’m afraid I’m equivocating back and forth between different conceptions of what I’m calling “force.”

Years ago, I watched a television show (maybe “cops” or something similar) where in real life an officer pulled over a driver and issued him a citation (maybe a ticket for speeding). Nothing special there, but what grabbed my attention is the argument that ensued. The officer asked the driver to sign the ticket, but the driver didn’t want to. It must be a state specific way of handling things, as I’ve never been asked, let alone been ordered to sign a ticket.

The officer threatened incarceration over the issue after the driver continued to refuse. The officer wasn’t hot-headed over it and was apparently just trying to follow protocol. He even explained that it wasn’t an admission of guilt but rather a mere acknowledgement that he has received the ticket. I’m not saying it cannot be viewed as reasonable, but I couldn’t help but think reasonableness aside,: one should not be forced to sign his name.

For whatever reason, I felt that it’s very wrong to force someone to sign his name, and I still feel that way so long as I don’t misconstrue the sense of “force” I have in mind with another sense of “force” that I learned later. As to reason, it has to do with the idea that a persons word is his bond and that signing one’s name represents the giving of one’s word, so it seems to me that the signing of one’s name should be done of one’s own volition; therefore, although it may appear reasonable at first glance to have a protocol in effect that requires a signature, the threat of imprisonment changes things such that it ought to be an exception, reasonableness be damned.

There is another sense (that needs to be viewed independently) that acknowledges that forcing people to sign their names is completely acceptable, but not such that it conflicts with how I’ve been speaking. From many discussions of free will, I’ve come to accept that if I don’t want to do something yet am pressured into doing it (and keep in mind that we can sometimes overcome the pressure, so being able to overcome it doesn’t negate its presence), I’m being forced.

Let’s look at some examples. Let’s say you want to permisibly drive but don’t want to take a drivers test. You are not forced to take the drivers test per se, as you are free to walk, but you are forced to take the test if you want to legally drive. I’m okay with that force. If you want a job but cannot have it unless you sign an application, you’re gonna look pretty silly arguing that the employer is forcing you to sign an employment application, especially if he’s perfectly content with you taking a hike. This is vastly different than (oh say) having to sign up for selective service or acknowledging your identity as a potential juror.

I don’t think it’s even possible to go through life with any sense of normalcy without signing your name, but what I was against is being forced to sign one’s name when one doesn’t want to (on the one hand) and the very same worded damn thing (on the other hand). It’s like “force” is ambiguous in some way. Maybe I’m highly selective such that I’m perfectly okay with whatever negative consequences might come my way so long as it’s not legal mandate. In other words, our freedom shouldn’t hang in the balance. Sure, I might can’t use an apple product if I elect to not sign that I’ve agreed to something, and sure, I might can’t get the light company to provide power to my home if I don’t sign agreeing to something, but all these “forces” to sign or else never lead to my freedom being taken.

By the way, while I accept that it’s a way of life to often agree or else, it’s sometimes unconscionable that we must either agree to some of the things we do or else. There was another thread where someone refused to sign and lost her job. It’s only acceptable to the extent that it wasn’t a consequence of incarceration. Some might say she was forced to sign yet overcame the force. Others might say she wasn’t forced and that she didn’t sign shows that, but she was forced, just as forced as we enter into agreements all the time.

I guess. Maybe I’m reading into it too much.

Well, not sure how this might factor into your quandary, but there are contracts/agreements (or, I suppose, clauses within certain contracts/agreements) that are not valid in spite of the fact you may have signed anyway. I don't know what the legal term might be (or if there is one; I'm sure there is one; there always is), but basically the courts have held that if a contract/agreement has language/provisions in it that are contrary to established law, then the agreement is void no matter how consensually agreed to--or not, I guess--by all parties.

Iow, it's possible that any terms of service agreement you may have been required to sign in order to get the particular product/service you wanted could in fact be void depending upon the laws of your state and/or federal laws. So there are precedents where the courts have agreed--at least in part--with the notion that being forced to sign a contract in the manner you're describing does not necessarily mean the contract will be upheld.

Not exactly what you seem to be on about, but at least it mitigates the notion that a company can just get you to sign any damn thing they want or else no dice. The trouble is, of course, that no lay person ever really reads any of the small print, nor do they then check to see if any provisions of their contract contravene state/federal law. That's what class actions are for. :D

I’m trying to think something through, but I’m afraid I’m equivocating back and forth between different conceptions of what I’m calling “force.”

Years ago, I watched a television show (maybe “cops” or something similar) where in real life an officer pulled over a driver and issued him a citation (maybe a ticket for speeding). Nothing special there, but what grabbed my attention is the argument that ensued. The officer asked the driver to sign the ticket, but the driver didn’t want to. It must be a state specific way of handling things, as I’ve never been asked, let alone been ordered to sign a ticket.

The officer threatened incarceration over the issue after the driver continued to refuse. The officer wasn’t hot-headed over it and was apparently just trying to follow protocol. He even explained that it wasn’t an admission of guilt but rather a mere acknowledgement that he has received the ticket. I’m not saying it cannot be viewed as reasonable, but I couldn’t help but think reasonableness aside,: one should not be forced to sign his name.

For whatever reason, I felt that it’s very wrong to force someone to sign his name, and I still feel that way so long as I don’t misconstrue the sense of “force” I have in mind with another sense of “force” that I learned later. As to reason, it has to do with the idea that a persons word is his bond and that signing one’s name represents the giving of one’s word, so it seems to me that the signing of one’s name should be done of one’s own volition; therefore, although it may appear reasonable at first glance to have a protocol in effect that requires a signature, the threat of imprisonment changes things such that it ought to be an exception, reasonableness be damned.

There is another sense (that needs to be viewed independently) that acknowledges that forcing people to sign their names is completely acceptable, but not such that it conflicts with how I’ve been speaking. From many discussions of free will, I’ve come to accept that if I don’t want to do something yet am pressured into doing it (and keep in mind that we can sometimes overcome the pressure, so being able to overcome it doesn’t negate its presence), I’m being forced.

Let’s look at some examples. Let’s say you want to permisibly drive but don’t want to take a drivers test. You are not forced to take the drivers test per se, as you are free to walk, but you are forced to take the test if you want to legally drive. I’m okay with that force. If you want a job but cannot have it unless you sign an application, you’re gonna look pretty silly arguing that the employer is forcing you to sign an employment application, especially if he’s perfectly content with you taking a hike. This is vastly different than (oh say) having to sign up for selective service or acknowledging your identity as a potential juror.

I don’t think it’s even possible to go through life with any sense of normalcy without signing your name, but what I was against is being forced to sign one’s name when one doesn’t want to (on the one hand) and the very same worded damn thing (on the other hand). It’s like “force” is ambiguous in some way. Maybe I’m highly selective such that I’m perfectly okay with whatever negative consequences might come my way so long as it’s not legal mandate. In other words, our freedom shouldn’t hang in the balance. Sure, I might can’t use an apple product if I elect to not sign that I’ve agreed to something, and sure, I might can’t get the light company to provide power to my home if I don’t sign agreeing to something, but all these “forces” to sign or else never lead to my freedom being taken.

By the way, while I accept that it’s a way of life to often agree or else, it’s sometimes unconscionable that we must either agree to some of the things we do or else. There was another thread where someone refused to sign and lost her job. It’s only acceptable to the extent that it wasn’t a consequence of incarceration. Some might say she was forced to sign yet overcame the force. Others might say she wasn’t forced and that she didn’t sign shows that, but she was forced, just as forced as we enter into agreements all the time.

I guess. Maybe I’m reading into it too much.

I'm pretty sure what you're signing is an agreement to show up for court. If you don't agree, then the officer could arrest you and place you in jail to make sure you will appear. Oh, and it is important to appear. I got 10 days, with 9 suspended because I forgot to show up. The other misdemeanors in the cell block were nice though. One of them told me, "Remember, if they don't treat you right out there, you'll always have a home here".

A general answer.

Here in Seattle under our mayor and city council crimess are progressively being decriminalized.

Peole know they will noy be procected for teft in a store and will not be physically prevented in a store. As a result people are walking into stores, stealing in plain sight, and walking out.

Without the threat of police using force then police become incapacitated.

A few days ago I was in a Walgreens stor in downtown Seattle. . As I walked in somebody went out on a motorized scooter carrying goods past the security guard. The guard yelled at him but could do nothing.

Like it or not, fear of legal consequences is part of maintain civil order. During the demonstrations and riots again under Seattle policy the police pulled back resulting in open looting and destruction of property, along with physical s assaults and murder.

A general answer.

Here in Seattle under our mayor and city council crimess are progressively being decriminalized.

Peole know they will noy be procected for teft in a store and will not be physically prevented in a store. As a result people are walking into stores, stealing in plain sight, and walking out.

A few days ago I was in a Walgreens stor in downtown Seattle. . As I walked in somebody went out on a motorized scooter carrying goods past the security guard. The guard yelled at him but could do nothing.

Like it or not, fear of legal consequences is part of maintain civil order. During the demonstrations and riots again under Seattle policy the police pulled back resulting in open looting and destruction of property, along with physical s assaults and murder.

The police should arrest looters, and call in the National Guard if they need help. Citizens should report looters during demonstrations. Hmm. Maybe demonstration organizers should take a stand against looting, insist that they will not tolerate it, and provide teams to photograph looters to help police.

A general answer.

I am actually a bit surprised that the citizens of Seattle haven't yet mobilized and confronted the mayor and city council to demand police protection and prosecution of looters.

Seems to me that rather than speaking to force, steve_bank your are speaking to respect for the property of others. If removing social pressure to care for what is in possession of another you are presuming others care that if they take what belongs to others that they don't care whether others' take what belongs to them.

It's not a matter of force, but of the fabric of social belonging. Social belonging needs equity to operate well. If things are systematically unequal then corrective measures need be in place counter balance unequal transactions.

There are a variety of options for doing that other that through the use of force by the powerful against the oppressed like improve equity measures. Provide sufficient resources to those without to cool their desire to have what others have. Restructure shops to have encased display, live service and verifiable possession measure service. IOW Remove opportunity for theft. Take that which was taken from the suppliers away from those who do illegal taking then use the opportunity to provide resources for the individual to work within the societal framework to acquire such things. Rather than punish, provide training and support for improving one's ability to have enough in her life. Provide health services, learning opportunities, family support, etc. Strive to get people to feel worthwhile and wanted. Yes! Spare the child with care and love.

A general answer.

I am actually a bit surprised that the citizens of Seattle haven't yet mobilized and confronted the mayor and city council to demand police protection and prosecution of looters.

It is growing. There is a sut against the city over the lack of protection during the riots. That being said, Seattle is one of te most progressive cities in the country.

We have an elected city council member who is an avowed communist who wants to tare down the system. She let rioters into city hall at night and is facing a recall vote she is expected to defeat. She is running for mayor.

Seattle police have left in nu bers that now reduce response times. You can only exect quick response to to vilent situations.
l
Last week someone who got into our building and assaulter and injured our resident maintenance man. The police caught him. If we call police for a break-in or theft which happens periodically police will not show up, they say make a report on;lne.

People know there is a reduced lowlihood of a police response and act accordingly. Police reports that it is drawing criminals here.

Back
Top Bottom