• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Gay Mormons? Why?

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfaithblog/58406680-180/affirmation-conference-lgbt-mormon.html.csp

Apparently there is a large gathering of LGBT mormons in Salt Lake City this week. I find this bizarre. What self respecting LGBT person would self identify as a member of a church that seeks utterly to deny them their basic humanity? I can see that they believe in God and Jesus and all that, but there are plenty of liberal protestant denominations that welcome them without reservation. Why not join those? It's not like you have to give up your basic core religious beliefs to join them.

I really would like to know what drives such people.

SLD

Yeah. That's a good deal. I guess Jesus was a Mormon from another planet. Maybe I should convert. After all, I am not gay.

Well, if someone thinks that the Mormon religion is a factual account of the universe, then it's probably better to be part of that religion than one that you don't think is true.

Well, even teh gays and lesbos want to be ruler of their own planet (who wouldn't?) when they die, so who can blame them?

What self respecting LGBT person would self identify as a member of a church that seeks utterly to deny them their basic humanity?

I can see that they believe in God and Jesus and all that, but there are plenty of liberal protestant denominations that welcome them without reservation. Why not join those? It's not like you have to give up your basic core religious beliefs to join them.

I really would like to know what drives such people.

SLD
Gay Catholics, Gay Baptists, Gay Adventists ...et al.
Most are simply poor confused victims that suffer from the misfortune of having been born into the families of an insane religious cult.
Hard to sever the ties and entanglements with a religion that one (LBGT or not) has been indoctrinated into by ones family members from infancy.

As one experienced, having been so indoctrinated into a different flavor of this religious lunacy, I can very well comprehend how hard it is for any individual to confront the fact that their family, life-long friends, loved ones, are all deluded, and their precious religions teachings nothing more than a crock of steaming horse shit, and to publicly and openly reject and turn their back upon their church and religious upbringing.

Most LGBT's (and not a few closet atheists) are trying to gain some measure of acceptance and compassion from their parents, extended families, and their communities. That is well nigh unachievable in any measure by means of so openly offending the fundamental beliefs of the cult members that comprise those families and communities.

Are gay Mormons really any more self-hating than non-gay Mormons?

Are gay Evangelicals really any more self-hating than non-gay Evangelicals?

Are gay Catholics really any more self-hating than non-gay Catholics?

I mean, if you consider the "protection racket" aspect of the whole heaven and hell thing, then take into account the "made sick and commanded to be well" aspect of Christian/Muslim theology, aren't they all self-hating if we want to get technical about it? People call homosexual Mormons "self hating" in the hopes that it will convince them to leave religion, but if self-hate is part of the appeal of the religion in the first place, what are you actually accomplishing when you accuse them of being "self-hating"?

If you are raised in a religion, its tough to leave.

Why even ask this question?

I don't understand why anybody would join or stay in a religion that doesn't get them lots of wild and crazy sex.

I don't understand why anybody would join or stay in a religion that doesn't get them lots of wild and crazy sex.

You are a bad person because you were born with the urge to have sex, but if you just pay this little tithe and follow a few simple rules, you will go from being an immoral wretch to a good and noble person! Payment plans available! Offer expires while you wait!

Or at least, that's what it sounds like to my ears.

You don't choose a religion like a club, by looking at the perks and the members and finding out which suits you.
You join a religion because you feel it's got The TruthTM, and then you try to reconcile your personal life with this TruthTM.

So, it's nonsense to ask a gay mormon "why choose a religion where you have to hate yourself?". The only question worth it is "why do you believe, how do you know it's true?".
(and 99.9% of the time, shake your head sadly at the answer and leave silently, because the debate is not even worth having)

Back
Top Bottom