• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.
  • 2021 Internet Infidels Fundraising Drive
    Greetings! Time for the annual fundraiser.Sorry for the late update, we normally start this early in October. Funds are needed to keep II and IIDB online. I was not able to get an IIDB based donations addon implemented for this year, I will make sure to have that done for next year. You can help support II in several ways, please visit the Support Us page for more info. Or just click:

I will try to track all donations from IIDB. Many thanks to those that have already donated. The current total is $550. If everyone dontated just $5, we would easily hit our goal.

General Photography Thread

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Well, there is a thread specific for Wildlife, so I thought I'd make with a general one.

Just got a Sony a68 and OMG is that thing impressive for a less than $600 chassis. No WIFI or NFT, but I feel like I'm cheating using this thing. I tested it out, and was quite disappointed to find out that it doesn't have a remote shutter input like my previous Sony Alpha. So I was stuck with a max 30 second shutter time, unless I get a couple cables for field use. Turns out, 30 seconds was probably the right exposure. Only modification was resizing it for sharing here. Serious focus issues here, mainly because everything is generally in motion due to the train or wind. I thought it was absurd that it can focus with an ND10 filter on it.

DSC00025 (1024x683).jpg

phands

Veteran Member
Let's see if this works...

20170807_205300-EFFECTS.jpg

CaisCais, Portugal last summer. Galaxy s8+ HDR on.

Attachments

• 20170807_205300-EFFECTS.jpg
    20170807_205300-EFFECTS.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 2

phands

Veteran Member
Manhattan from the flight deck of the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier Galaxy s6 Edge+ . handheld, HDR on.

20151217_221908.jpg

I have a Canon EOS6D and a range of lenses, but phone cameras are blowing them away...plus you're more likely to be carrying a phone. more of the time.

phands

Veteran Member
Anyone else getting forced to resize to 2048 x 2048 max by VBulletin? Given that my phone camera takes much bigger and better than that, should we ask if the Admins will up the size limit?

ruby sparks

Contributor
Curious: just how good are camera phones getting these days? What phone should a former serious SLR enthusiast be looking at?

phands

Veteran Member
Curious: just how good are camera phones getting these days? What phone should a former serious SLR enthusiast be looking at?

They are getting superb. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, with two 12MP dual-pixel cameras facing forward, both with OIS, and a third 8MP camera for selfies. One has standard 1x zoom, the other 2x. The resolution is incredible. I have added a Ztylus Revolver 4-lens carousel, so i now have a full suite of lenses which fit in a pocket. My Canon EOS 6D and lenses cost almost $6000, and the phone camera is often just as good, at under a 6th of the price. All the photos I posted on this thread, and the wildlife thread were taken on phone cameras. As the old cliche says, the best camera is the one you have with you. I love my DSLR, but carrying it and all the lenses is inconvenient.

ruby sparks

Contributor

They are getting superb. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, with two 12MP dual-pixel cameras facing forward, both with OIS, and a third 8MP camera for selfies. One has standard 1x zoom, the other 2x. The resolution is incredible. I have added a Ztylus Revolver 4-lens carousel, so i now have a full suite of lenses which fit in a pocket. My Canon EOS 6D and lenses cost almost $6000, and the phone camera is often just as good, at under a 6th of the price. All the photos I posted on this thread, and the wildlife thread were taken on phone cameras. As the old cliche says, the best camera is the one you have with you. I love my DSLR, but carrying it and all the lenses is inconvenient.

Cool. Thanks.

What's your opinion/knowledge about iphones camerawise? I'm kinda tied into apple because it's what I use for my work (designer) so I'm probs going to be sticking with mac as a computer, and ipad, and hence by extension an iphone, because of interoperability.

Couldn't agree more about the inconvenience of SLRs. If I get similar quality from a phone, I'm ditching my SLR. Personally, I go back to 1979, a manual, non-digital Zenith and developing my own pics, so I'll be a bit sad, but times change.

I ask because I'm at a point in time where both my Camera (Canon Rebel, 2007 vintage) and phone (iphone SE) arguably could be upgraded, so I'd like to kill two birds with one stone. Should I move from Apple to get a better camera is my question.

I sometimes print and frame, but never more than A3 size, so if the differences are minimal at that size, it's not going to be an issue for me, even if it still is for commercial/professional photographers.

I guess I should also look into whether stuff like the zytlus revolver are either avialable for or compatible with an iphone.

Nice pics by the way, yours.

Last edited:

phands

Veteran Member

Cool. Thanks.

What's your opinion/knowledge about iphones camerawise? I'm kinda tied into apple because it's what I use for my work (designer) so I'm probs going to be sticking with mac as a computer, and ipad, and hence by extension an iphone, because of interoperability.

Couldn't agree more about the inconvenience of SLRs. If I get similar quality from a phone, I'm ditching my SLR.

I ask because I'm at a point in time where both my Camera (Canon Rebel 2007) and phone (iphone 6) arguably could be upgraded, so I'd like to kill two birds with one stone.

The newer iPhone cameras are also excellent. The 8 and the X are really good. They don't have the same innovations that Android is currently enjoying, like dual cameras side by side, but they share the add-ons market like the Ztylus lens kits, and just make sense from a convenience point of view. Plus, you can send photos/videos immediately from a phone. Even my EOS6D, which has WiFi doesn't make sharing so convenient. Also.the on-camera extra processing and editing is now just incredible. i've hardly used my DSLR in 2 years since phone cameras became so good.

I wouldn't hesitate to make the move, and I would never have said that even 3 years ago.

rousseau

Contributor
No pics to post but..

I'm going on the trip of a lifetime at the end of September and I'm thinking about upgrading my digital camera. Could anyone point me in the right direction for something in the 400 - 600 range? I don't need fireworks, just an all around solid entry-level camera.

Keep in mind I also just bought a new Samsung Galaxy A5.. but I don't know if I trust it for the trip.

phands

Veteran Member

Cool. Thanks.

Couldn't agree more about the inconvenience of SLRs. If I get similar quality from a phone, I'm ditching my SLR. Personally, I go back to 1979, a manual, non-digital Zenith and developing my own pics, so I'll be a bit sad, but times change.

I ask because I'm at a point in time where both my Camera (Canon Rebel, 2007 vintage) and phone (iphone SE) arguably could be upgraded, so I'd like to kill two birds with one stone. Should I move from Apple to get a better camera is my question.

I sometimes print and frame, but never more than A3 size, so if the differences are minimal at that size, it's not going to be an issue for me, even if it still is for commercial/professional photographers.

I guess I should also look into whether stuff like the zytlus revolver are either avialable for or compatible with an iphone.

Nice pics by the way, yours.

Ztylus is made first for iPhone..enjoy

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
No pics to post but..

I'm going on the trip of a lifetime at the end of September and I'm thinking about upgrading my digital camera. Could anyone point me in the right direction for something in the 400 - 600 range? I don't need fireworks, just an all around solid entry-level camera.
I like the info available here. Cheaper cameras mean giving and taking on what you really want verses what you are willing to give up.

rousseau

Contributor
No pics to post but..

I like the info available here. Cheaper cameras mean giving and taking on what you really want verses what you are willing to give up.

Thanks.

I think I may have to spend some time researching when I get a chance. All I know that I *want* at this point is for whatever is taking the pictures I want to not screw it up. Crispness and clarity would also be nice.

My current digital camera is over 10 years old and is likely outclassed by my phone. I've heard I'll get an edge from a modern, entry-level DSLR over the phone, though.

Toni

Contributor
No pics to post but..

I have older models of Nikon and Canon that I've really liked. Easy to use, versatile, convenient. New Nikon cameras now have instant bridging to phone or tablet for instant sharing of photos, which seems like it would be convenient.

One of the things I'm really looking forward to about retirement is being able to spend more time actually learning more about the capabilities of my current cameras and how to make the best use of them ===and hopefully getting into some others.

ruby sparks

Contributor
Phones make all of the decisions and make with the post processing. There is no artistic effort with a phone camera.

I'm not totally unsympathetic to that point, but I respectfully disagree.

Unless you only use your SLR on fully manual, then you are getting 'automatic assistance'. Heck, even using a zoom lens is arguably 'cheating' (though I myself don't see that as a problem). It's all on a spectrum. Even Canaletto apparently used a camera obscura when painting.

There is imo plenty of room for creativity. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that for me, the key artistic skill is in the seeing and/or composing of the shot.

Last edited:

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Phones make all of the decisions and make with the post processing. There is no artistic effort with a phone camera.

Unless you only use your SLR on fully manual, then you are getting 'automatic assistance'.
The comparison is only accurate if you are shooting in P mode. Personally, I almost exclusively shoot in M Mode. Granted, there is help in the camera for things like dynamic resolution and white balance. But if you use a camera, it is wholly automatic... and the pic is mostly about where you are, than photography.
There is imo plenty of room for creativity. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that for me, the key artistic skill is in the seeing and/or composing of the shot.
I remember not knowing enough about photography back in the day (compared to my woeful level these days) and having a shot composed that was magazine worthy. To the eye, it was brilliant! To a person who knew how to take a picture, it'd win contests. My shot sucked ass and was completely wrong, and quite humbling. Had I had a Galaxy s8+ HDR probably would have come out perfectly. But at that point, who cares. If anyone can take the pic thanks to technology, who cares.

ruby sparks

Contributor
The comparison is only accurate if you are shooting in P mode. Personally, I almost exclusively shoot in M Mode. Granted, there is help in the camera for things like dynamic resolution and white balance. But if you use a camera, it is wholly automatic... and the pic is mostly about where you are, than photography.
I remember not knowing enough about photography back in the day (compared to my woeful level these days) and having a shot composed that was magazine worthy. To the eye, it was brilliant! To a person who knew how to take a picture, it'd win contests. My shot sucked ass and was completely wrong, and quite humbling. Had I had a Galaxy s8+ HDR probably would have come out perfectly. But at that point, who cares. If anyone can take the pic thanks to technology, who cares.

I mean, I partly agree with you. For example, shooting only in M-mode does mean that you are exercising more skill and creativity. But as you acknowledge, any camera, in the final analysis, is 'help'.

And yes, there is the phenomenon of '(almost) anyone being able to take that pic' when the camera is giving large amounts of help.

That said, I tend to think that the cameras nowadays are offering mostly 'non-artistic' help. Though even that's not true, what with the vast range of in-camera and post-production effects available. All of which are in essence 'cheats' in a way, of course. Cheating has always been around. I mentioned Canaletto. I also read that back in the days of celluloid, many of the top photographers, who were getting paid enough to justify it, shot rolls and rolls just to get one good pic.

Anyhows, the sort of photography that I enjoy and admire the most is more about 'seeing (and composing) the shot', which, thankfully, as far as I know, technology has not yet really invaded. I'm not so much into technical perfection. When I'm out and about with a camera, the pleasure is mostly in my head and the way looking for shots enhances the ways I see the world. I would argue that a phone camera is still a valid tool for this.

A typical example might be:

experts copy.jpg

or

At the Gates of Dawn copy.jpg

or at a pinch...

2475001113_92c4a4e562_b copy.jpg

I do see your point though. And if you can operate in M-mode then that is admirable and more personally creative. I sometimes (with my SLR) try to get back into M-mode but I seem to have forgotten all the things I once half knew.

Attachments

• Last Laugh copy.jpg
    Last Laugh copy.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 133835_476943725671861_1708861818_o copy.jpg
    133835_476943725671861_1708861818_o copy.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 133835_476943725671861_1708861818_o copy.jpg
    133835_476943725671861_1708861818_o copy.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 2

rousseau

Contributor
A good guitarist can make any guitar sound good. A bad guitarist..

The idea that the settings you use on the camera are a major component of the artistry process, and not the external composition of your photos is strange to me. A good camera is a better tool, but the picture comes from the photographer themselves. I've known professional photographers with fantastic equipment who take terrible photos, and with no experience I've taken a large number of classic photos with just point and click on auto.

I mean, yea, a mastery of settings is going to lend itself to better photos, but I think that over-states photography as a technical skill, and under-states it as a humanistic one.

ruby sparks

Contributor

I'm just wondering. This is an excellent pic. Open question to all readers: are there, or is there any good reason why there aren't, phone cameras that have all or many of the creative user-settings that 'traditional' cameras have, such as extended shutter speeds, ISO choices, aperture settings (or the digital equivalent) to control depth of field, or focus control to experiment with intentional blur (as in my 'red' pic above, taken with an SLR on manual focus)? Maybe such things already exist and I am behind the curve.

Unless I'm mistaken, I seem to recall a professional photographer friend of mine having, a few years ago, some kind of app (and a set of lens adaptors such as phands mentioned) which effectively allowed him to use his phone camera a lot like an SLR.

Another fab feature would be an ability to save pics in RAW format, since, if you're going to play with/improve them after, RAW is so much better at preserving image quality while you're tampering.

Last edited:

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member

In the simple realm a high end phone rivals a low end DSLR. Consider, however, that despite this I generally hike with a low-end DSLR despite having my phone with me. While the sensor isn't much better than the phone the rest of it is--I have a 24:1 optical zoom range on the lens and thus can do much better on a small, distant target than I possibly could with the phone. Also, I have much better exposure control--something that can be quite useful if I wish to combine multiple shots into a single image. (For example, to make a panorama of the horizon, something that can be impressive if done from a mountain peak.)

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member

Unless you only use your SLR on fully manual, then you are getting 'automatic assistance'. Heck, even using a zoom lens is arguably 'cheating' (though I myself don't see that as a problem). It's all on a spectrum. Even Canaletto apparently used a camera obscura when painting.

With good modern gear you have assistance even in full manual mode--it's still calculating the exposure and will tell you how far off it believes you are.

I don't see it as "cheating" to use automatics. However, automatics do not always do the job, especially when it comes to exposure. Even in P mode, however, I frequently don't go with the automatic answer, but rather do things like aim for their feet, push the button to the halfway point, and then recompose the shot properly, but with the exposure ignoring the sky that's now in the picture. I want to expose for the person, not the sky.

That being said, I've never actually even seen a general, how could I photograph one?

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum

With good modern gear you have assistance even in full manual mode--it's still calculating the exposure and will tell you how far off it believes you are.

I don't see it as "cheating" to use automatics. However, automatics do not always do the job, especially when it comes to exposure. Even in P mode, however, I frequently don't go with the automatic answer, but rather do things like aim for their feet, push the button to the halfway point, and then recompose the shot properly, but with the exposure ignoring the sky that's now in the picture. I want to expose for the person, not the sky.

That being said, I've never actually even seen a general, how could I photograph one?

I imagine that a photograph containing two Colonels or three Lieutenant Colonels would also qualify. Admirals and airforce officers of Air Vice-Marshal rank or above may be permitted, but not if taken using a phone camera.

RavenSky

The Doctor's Wife
Staff member
No pics to post but..

Thanks.

I think I may have to spend some time researching when I get a chance. All I know that I *want* at this point is for whatever is taking the pictures I want to not screw it up. Crispness and clarity would also be nice.

My current digital camera is over 10 years old and is likely outclassed by my phone. I've heard I'll get an edge from a modern, entry-level DSLR over the phone, though.

You might want to look at some of the mirrorless cameras, too. They are much lighter for travel, while the focus is virtually as good.

RavenSky

The Doctor's Wife
Staff member
Looks the banning of Phone Cameras has made the thread less attractive.

Dude, seriously... :rolleyes:

It is near impossible for any OP to control the direction a thread takes, but if Jimmy wants this thread to be about and for camera photography, do you really need to be a jerk about it? Why not just start another thread specifically for smartphone photography?

I thought your photos were great, btw.

rousseau

Contributor
Thanks.

You might want to look at some of the mirrorless cameras, too. They are much lighter for travel, while the focus is virtually as good.

I ended up hearing this from a few people and decided to take the advice to heart. Went with the Sony RX100 II. For travel it should make things a lot easier.

rousseau

Contributor

It is near impossible for any OP to control the direction a thread takes, but if Jimmy wants this thread to be about and for camera photography, do you really need to be a jerk about it? Why not just start another thread specifically for smartphone photography?

In fairness, on a forum where 75% of the activity has become 4 posters bickering about repetitive political issues, you might not want to make topics too narrow.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor

In fairness, on a forum where 75% of the activity has become 4 posters bickering about repetitive political issues, you might not want to make topics too narrow.
:D

Toni

Contributor
General question that I'm not sure where to put so I thought I would put it here:

I'm interested in scanning a bunch of family photos. I have an embarrassing number, and generally the quality is about what one would expect from family photos over several decades. I had originally intended to put them on flash drives for offspring and will probably still do that but one cleverly suggested that a photo sharing site might be what I was really looking for. I do have about a decade's worth or more of digital photos as well....

Any suggestions for useful, easy to use apps that would allow me to have a single sharing site for family photos?

rousseau

Contributor
General question that I'm not sure where to put so I thought I would put it here:

I'm interested in scanning a bunch of family photos. I have an embarrassing number, and generally the quality is about what one would expect from family photos over several decades. I had originally intended to put them on flash drives for offspring and will probably still do that but one cleverly suggested that a photo sharing site might be what I was really looking for. I do have about a decade's worth or more of digital photos as well....

Any suggestions for useful, easy to use apps that would allow me to have a single sharing site for family photos?

Were you hoping just to share the files, or have a place where the photos can be viewed too?

Not sure about the latter, but if you just want to share the raw files it's easy enough to just compress a few folders on your desktop, upload them to mediafire.com, and then share the download link to the folders with whoever you like.

If you want them to be viewable (and still likely downloadable, but not sure) I'd probably go with Google Photos, but not sure what your family member had in mind.

Toni

Contributor

Were you hoping just to share the files, or have a place where the photos can be viewed too?

Not sure about the latter, but if you just want to share the raw files it's easy enough to just compress a few folders on your desktop, upload them to mediafire.com, and then share the download link to the folders with whoever you like.

If you want them to be viewable (and still likely downloadable, but not sure) I'd probably go with Google Photos, but not sure what your family member had in mind.

I am hoping to make them both viewable and also downloadable/printable (in case we ever revert to the old days and want physical copies of stuff) to cover my bases, and to be usable across a variety of platforms. We're a mixed family: some us apple/mac phones and computers; some use other types of phones and a PC computer. One or two of us switch things up and haven't quite decided where we will (permanently)land.

I saw your lovely photos from your honeymoon. Do you feel it's quite secure. I am a bit...stupidly obsessed with the idea of having privacy and no one being able to hack our photos. There is no reason I can think of for anyone to actually do this. None of us is famous or even well known, no celebrity, etc. I have had friends who were surprised to find someone they knew from the internet showing unexpectedly and uninvited on their doorsteps so there is that....

hurtinbuckaroo

Veteran Member
A good guitarist can make any guitar sound good. A bad guitarist..

The idea that the settings you use on the camera are a major component of the artistry process, and not the external composition of your photos is strange to me. A good camera is a better tool, but the picture comes from the photographer themselves. I've known professional photographers with fantastic equipment who take terrible photos, and with no experience I've taken a large number of classic photos with just point and click on auto.

I mean, yea, a mastery of settings is going to lend itself to better photos, but I think that over-states photography as a technical skill, and under-states it as a humanistic one.

To consistently make good photos, even with a point & shoot camera, you have to know your equipment. The crappy photographers with good equipment probably don't know much about their gear; the good ones with the basic cameras (or phone cameras) probably know the limitations, and will even use them to their advantage. Selection of shutter speed, aperture, etc. (or selection of subject/composition based on the inability to change those settings) is, IMO, an important part of the artistic process.

I don't see the logic in not allowing phone photos, but I'll abide by it.

rousseau

Contributor

I am hoping to make them both viewable and also downloadable/printable (in case we ever revert to the old days and want physical copies of stuff) to cover my bases, and to be usable across a variety of platforms. We're a mixed family: some us apple/mac phones and computers; some use other types of phones and a PC computer. One or two of us switch things up and haven't quite decided where we will (permanently)land.

I saw your lovely photos from your honeymoon. Do you feel it's quite secure. I am a bit...stupidly obsessed with the idea of having privacy and no one being able to hack our photos. There is no reason I can think of for anyone to actually do this. None of us is famous or even well known, no celebrity, etc. I have had friends who were surprised to find someone they knew from the internet showing unexpectedly and uninvited on their doorsteps so there is that....

I'd go with Google Photos if it were me (just switched to that platform from Facebook for our honeymoon because frankly I hate Facebook and they degrade the quality of your pictures). I don't know much about what Apple offers, but as long as your family has Google accounts Google Photos should be quite portable and flexible. Nobody will have access to your albums unless you share them with people, in which case those people are able to join the albums which will give them permanent access if they want. As for security you can pretty much take it to the bank with Google.. I'm sure they aren't bulletproof, but they are going to be more bulletproof than any other tech company.

Mediafire is a quick and painless way to share the raw files and should be pretty secure too, but now that I check out my Google photo albums it looks like they're easily downloadable from there too. So if you're going to display the photos you might just want to skip Mediafire and let people use the Google interface.

Max Rockatansky

Die dulci freure
Let's see if this works...

View attachment 16741

CaisCais, Portugal last summer. Galaxy s8+ HDR on.

Awesome sunset. I used to be a 35mm SLR fan back in the 80s, mostly aviation pictures...and, yes, sunsets and sunrises. Recently I bought a Canon Rebel T6. Due to a work surge, I haven't done much with it, but will begin doing so now.

These are from an iPhone 6s:

IMG_1426.JPG
IMG_2858.JPG

Underseer

Contributor

Are you going to buy a scanner, or pay some service that has a scanner?

Top Bottom