• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Girl tossed in the air by American buffalo / bison

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Shed Sports on Twitter: "The hardest hitting bison in the league https://t.co/va9oO7Bf4J" / Twitter
Watch bison launch 9-year-old girl into the air
A raging bull bison could be seen charging at a 9-year-old girl at Yellowstone National Park — and launching her several feet into the air.

The youngster was tended to by park emergency workers before being treated and released from the Old Faithful Clinic, according to NPS.
I was reminded of this from  Aurochs, a Eurasian wild bovine that was the ancestor of domestic bovines.
Historical descriptions, like Caesar's Commentarii de Bello Gallico or Schneeberger, tell that aurochs were swift and fast, and could be very aggressive. According to Schneeberger, aurochs were not concerned when a man approached, but when teased or hunted, an aurochs could get very aggressive and dangerous, and throw the teasing person into the air, as he described in a 1602 letter to Gesner.

Person 1: OMG! That buffalo is charging that child!
Person 2: Bison.
Person 1: What?!
Person 2: It's appropriately called a bison.
Person 1: OMG! That bison just tossed that poor girl in to the air!
Person 2: There, you got it.

Video: Bison attacks 9-year-old girl at Yellowstone -- that video

What does this have to do with science? Is it because its a textbook example of ballistic trajectories?
Bison behavior.

Recent bison attacks are a reminder to keep your distance | Animal Behaviour | Earth Touch News
A few bison attacks result from plain old bad luck, but most arise when people suppress common sense and get much, much too close to the biggest land animal in North America. People have long invaded bison personal space for snapshot purposes, and our era’s selfie craze hasn’t helped matters. In 2015, five people were gored by bison in Yellowstone in separate incidents – three of the attacks directly stemming from the victim crowding the animals for a picture.

Certainly some of that foolhardy behaviour can be attributed to underestimating the bison’s athleticism, power, and cantankerousness: essentially equating the shaggy, humped beast with a dull-mannered cow. (As Patsy Holmes told Fox 13 of being toppled by the Yellowstone bison, “We just weren’t scared of him, and I think that’s the mistake ... people need to realize they’re wild animals.”)

Well, to emphasise: A bison is not a cow. Domestic cattle have been bred for placid grazing and packing on pounds. Bison, by contrast, are tough-as-nails beasts with hardcore Ice Age roots, designed to withstand the blizzards, droughts, wolves, and grizzlies of the North American grasslands. Despite their immensity – bulls may weigh a ton – they’re remarkably swift and agile, capable of racehorse speed and vertical jumps of some 1.85 metres (6 feet).

(Incidentally, ever seen a bison on a trampoline? Here – now you have.)

Not only can a bison outrun you, but it can make surprisingly tight turns, as these videos – educationally posted on Yellowstone National Park’s website – attest:
Bull bison fighting each other in their late-summer rutting season: Incredible Bison Battle - YouTube

That seems much like descriptions of aurochsen as big, strong, fast, and dangerous.

Person 1: OMG! That buffalo is charging that child!
Person 2: Bison.
Person 1: What?!
Person 2: It's appropriately called a bison.
Person 1: OMG! That bison just tossed that poor girl in to the air!
Person 2: There, you got it.
In Australian accent:

What's the difference between a buffalo and a bison?

You can't wash your hands in a buffalo.

:)

I had a friend whom I worked with that had a small ranch outside Austin, Texas. He actually got two bison to raise on his ranch. A full grown bison can jump over a 4 foot tall fence. One of his bison did so one day while he was on his tractor and attacked his tractor while he was mowing. It had become quite aggressive as it matured. He ended up giving it away to a fellow bison enthusiast that had a small herd himself. It was an accident looking to happen. Later it's new owner had to make it into hamburger because it was too wild and aggressive and was not by any means domesticated or domesticatable. This is apparently what a buffalo raised apart from a herd usually becomes. The American Indians never managed to domesticate buffalo. That is not in a buffalo's genetic makeup.

I had a friend whom I worked with that had a small ranch outside Austin, Texas. He actually got two bison to raise on his ranch. A full grown bison can jump over a 4 foot tall fence.
All the cartoon and tv ruminants are so placid, it's quite a shock at a rodeo to see a Brahma bull clear a fence in anger, then you realize the whole damn thing is nothing but muscle and bad attitude.

What does this have to do with science? Is it because its a textbook example of ballistic trajectories?

Well, in this case it was a bison that caused someone to crap their pants. Bear have managed to bring about the same natural response. Rattlesnakes and other critters too.

Maybe because we're all part neanderthal we like to get close to big animals. In my case the 98% non-neanderthal DNA wins every time, however.

I see that the adults appear to run faster than the child.....the advantage of having longer legs, I guess.....
We also start sooner. We make the observation and commit to departure while the kids have trivial concerns to deal with.

I don't know how many times I heard the boys pause to ask "What does 'ohshit' mean?"

Idiot. Time's a wastin', and that gate won't open itself.

I see that the adults appear to run faster than the child.....the advantage of having longer legs, I guess.....
We also start sooner. We make the observation and commit to departure while the kids have trivial concerns to deal with.

I don't know how many times I heard the boys pause to ask "What does 'ohshit' mean?"

It was a bit of sarcasm aimed at the adults who left the child behind. But I guess it was a reflex action, danger/run, and something they probably felt bad about after the event.

I don't know how many times I heard the boys pause to ask "What does 'ohshit' mean?" Idiot. Time's a wastin', and that gate won't open itself.
It was a bit of sarcasm aimed at the adults who left the child behind.
Yeah, I got that. Was my 'playing along' not obvious?

It was a bit of sarcasm aimed at the adults who left the child behind. But I guess it was a reflex action, danger/run, and something they probably felt bad about after the event.
Properly motivated, people can walk on water.

walk-on-water-bull.jpg

Peez

Back
Top Bottom