• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Good article about some of Trump's pardons

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/21/us/politics/trump-pardons.html

Access, Influence and Pardons: How a Set of Allies Shaped Trump’s Choices

A loose collection of well-connected groups and individuals led by a pair of Orthodox Jewish organizations had striking success in winning clemency for white-collar criminals during the Trump presidency.

WASHINGTON — One hacked the computers of business rivals. One bribed doctors to win referrals for his nursing homes.

Another fled the country while he was on trial for his role in a fraud that siphoned $450 million from an insurance company, leading to its collapse. Still another ran a Ponzi scheme that plunged a synagogue into foreclosure.

Each won clemency from President Donald J. Trump.

They also had something else in common, an investigation by The New York Times found. The efforts to seek clemency for these wealthy or well-connected people benefited from their social, political, or financial ties to a loose collection of lawyers, lobbyists, activists and Orthodox Jewish leaders who had worked with Trump administration officials on criminal justice legislation championed by Jared Kushner.

That network revolved around a pair of influential Jewish organizations that focus on criminal justice issues — the Aleph Institute and Tzedek Association — and well-wired people working with them, including the lawyer Alan M. Dershowitz, Brett Tolman, a former U.S. attorney for Utah, and Nick Muzin, a Republican operative.

Stuff like this should be used to disabuse the Trumpista base of thinking that Trump is an honest businessman.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/21/us/politics/trump-pardons.html

Access, Influence and Pardons: How a Set of Allies Shaped Trump’s Choices

A loose collection of well-connected groups and individuals led by a pair of Orthodox Jewish organizations had striking success in winning clemency for white-collar criminals during the Trump presidency.

WASHINGTON — One hacked the computers of business rivals. One bribed doctors to win referrals for his nursing homes.

Another fled the country while he was on trial for his role in a fraud that siphoned $450 million from an insurance company, leading to its collapse. Still another ran a Ponzi scheme that plunged a synagogue into foreclosure.

Each won clemency from President Donald J. Trump.

They also had something else in common, an investigation by The New York Times found. The efforts to seek clemency for these wealthy or well-connected people benefited from their social, political, or financial ties to a loose collection of lawyers, lobbyists, activists and Orthodox Jewish leaders who had worked with Trump administration officials on criminal justice legislation championed by Jared Kushner.

That network revolved around a pair of influential Jewish organizations that focus on criminal justice issues — the Aleph Institute and Tzedek Association — and well-wired people working with them, including the lawyer Alan M. Dershowitz, Brett Tolman, a former U.S. attorney for Utah, and Nick Muzin, a Republican operative.

Stuff like this should be used to disabuse the Trumpista base of thinking that Trump is an honest businessman.

He could shoot them on 5th Avenue and they'd still think he was their Savior.

Yeah, do you not remember when the first noises about Russian connections started to come out?
Trump's people donned Tshirts saying "Better Russians than Clinton."

If Trump flat out sold pardons, they'll say it shows what a good businessman he is.

The vast majority of Jewish people pretty much hate the Orthodox sect and acknowledge they are a cult-like criminal organization.

And of course, the fact that the press is persecuting him like this only helps to prove to them that he is their savior. Every savior needs a good persecution complex, or they just aren't' believable.

And of course, the fact that the press is persecuting him like this only helps to prove to them that he is their savior. Every savior needs a good persecution complex, or they just aren't' believable.

The evidence is so open and shut as to what these pardoned white collar guys did.

Hanging on with pure copium.

Screenshot from 2021-08-18 16-34-32.png

At the same time that Trump was getting the final wave of pardons into channel, he became our most execution-happy President in 100 years. What a pathology -- he really, really wanted to exercise the power to put people to death. He and Barr expedited the executions of 13 federal inmates. Imagine that our system gave this empty, uneducated, malicious man such power. I hope his remaining years simply fill him with rage, and that his life ends soon.

Yeah. One guy. That's definitely the same thing as 143 accomplices.
BothSides-ism AGAIN.

Who said Rich was the only one?

He was a just an example of sleazy "pay to play" politics.
Tom
The Clintons in general have always get riding on the black side of the gray line. But jebus... you'd swear Marc RIch was an SS agent at a Death Camp back in 2000 the way Rush Limbaugh wouldn't drop it... in fact, the fact I can remember the name of Marc Rich just shows how bloody over the top the AM Radio / Cable News world has been about him. I can't name any other person that HW, W, Obama, or Clinton pardoned. I'll remember a few that Trump did. Though thankfully he didn't pardon the rioters. That was a serious worry I had.

Yeah. One guy. That's definitely the same thing as 143 accomplices.
BothSides-ism AGAIN.

Who said Rich was the only one?

Like JH, Rich is the only one I remember from 2+ decades ago. Ask me in 20 years and I bet I can still name at least a handful of Rumpy's criminal friends.
Other than that, I don't really recall a lot of controversial presidential pardons at all.
The Orange Menace racks up yet another "win" as the runaway #1 all time record holder, in the "Presidents pardoning people out of self interest" category.

Back
Top Bottom