• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Good guy with a gun actually shows up

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Indiana Mall shooting ended when another man with a gun (the unicorn-like rare 'good man with a gun') shot the shooter.
article said:
A nearby “good Samaritan” shot the gunman, Ison said. He added that the bystander was lawfully carrying a firearm, which he said he believed was a handgun, and “appears to be cooperating fully.”
I wonder if the Indiana AG will publicly say he is going to check the paperwork on that guy's gun license. Okay, not really.

article said:
The bystander “was able to stop the shooter almost as soon as he began,” Ison said.
Authorities identified the bystander as a 22-year-old man from Bartholomew County, south of Greenwood.
Thanks to the armed bystander this was merely a "mass shooting" with three dead instead of a "mass killing" with five or more dead.

Thanks good man with a gun. See you again next blue moon.

Last edited:
Indiana Mall shooting ended when another man with a gun (the unicorn-like rare 'good man with a gun') shot the shooter.
article said:
A nearby “good Samaritan” shot the gunman, Ison said. He added that the bystander was lawfully carrying a firearm, which he said he believed was a handgun, and “appears to be cooperating fully.”
I wonder if the Indiana AG will publicly say he is going to check the paperwork on that guy's gun license. Okay, not really.

article said:
The bystander “was able to stop the shooter almost as soon as he began,” Ison said.
Authorities identified the bystander as a 22-year-old man from Bartholomew County, south of Greenwood.
Thanks to the armed bystander this was merely a "mass shooting" with three dead instead of a "mass killing" with five or more dead.

A friend from Indiana texted me this shortly after it hit the news. I have friends and family in Greenwood. Aside from horror and recognition that this shooting happened where we have both been, many times, our other immediate reaction was that this would justify for far too many people concealed carry laws.

And there's this: https://www.in.gov/isp/files/Permitless-Carry-Website-Messaging.pdf

Permitless carry is now law in Indiana.

Conceal carry has been a thing in Ohio for a while. And to be fair, you wouldn't know. Nothing really changed. In Illinois, they had a red flag law... which was overridden by the shooter's father's signature!

I think the problem with mass killings is that criminally intent people are given way too easy access to guns. Regarding all the other shootings, that genie has been out of the bottle too long to manage it.

The perpetrator had to be crazy, suicidal, or both.
I grew up in Greenwood. I've lived around here since the mid-60s. The gun culture here is huge. The good guy was probably one of a dozen armed folks in the mall at the time.
Luckily, he was sufficiently capable with his weapon to avoid collateral damage, apparently.
Tom

ETA ~All too many of the yahoos around here might have just opened fire in the general direction of the shooting and caused as much carnage as the perp.~

article said:

article said:

So, they managed to prove the rule with the exception, seeing as how it took them how many years of concerted searching to find just this one incident of a unicorn that wasn't also shot by police?

All this tells me is that these are so rare that they come up maybe once in a decade of searching for such candidates so as to defend this exception as if such unicorns were on every street.

The rarity of such unicorns just says to me how outlandish the argument for food guys with guns are seeing as this is the only one I've seen hoisted up this side of the decade.

The thing is: it should NOT have been a matter of luck that the so called Good Samaritan had sufficient skill and presence of mind to shoot the shooter ( what a world we live in!) and not hit anybody else. Although the cynic in me would want ballistics reports confirming that.

What would have happened if no one had a gun?

The cops would have been called for an altercation in the mall at which point they shoot a black guy for running? That's my best guess.
You don't know Greenwood very well.

When I lived there, I could walk to the home of the Grand Dragon of the Indiana KKK. I still remember the first time I saw a black person in Greenwood, it was at that mall. The next town south is Whiteland. It wasn't named that by accident. Next town south is New Whiteland. Indianapolis was getting bigger, not everyone was happy about all that urban stuff coming to Johnson County.

There were still unofficial, but seriously enforced, sundown laws when my family moved there.
Tom

I was kinda hoping you'd give me some insight on Greenwood that illustrates why my guess wouldn't happen in Greenwood. Thanks for the info on the neighboring towns at the time you lived there though.

Back
Top Bottom