• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Good guy with an AK47 ...

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
ECSO seeking 2 home invasion suspects; investigating if 3rd was shot in head by homeowner

Pensacola News Journal said:
Escambia County deputies are investigating an armed home invasion where it is believed an intruder suffered a non-fatal gunshot wound to the head from the homeowner.
[...]
One of the three intruders picked up the gun, but the homeowner was able to run to a backroom and retrieve an "AK-47-style gun," Simmons said.
"He started shooting for his own protection, to get them out of his house and to protect himself," the sheriff said.
The men fled the residence, but investigators were able to identify two of the suspects as Antonio DeWayne Dean Jr., 18, and Da'Torrance Leanders Hackworth, 20. Arrest warrants related to the home invasion have been issued for both men.
[...]
Simmons added, "We get a report of a third individual that had a wound to the head not long after (the home invasion). The stories he's giving us as to how he got shot in the head are inconsistent at best. In short, we don't believe him.

In another home invasion self-defense story, a 93 year old man was defending himself from an intruder on the other side of the country.

93-year-old man shoots home intruder, fends off others near Los Angeles

ABC News said:
A 93-year-old suburban Los Angeles homeowner, who a relative said was frustrated over being the victim of numerous home break-ins, shot and critically wounded a burglar and scared off the would-be thief's accomplices, according to authorities.
[...]
"I approached them to put them under citizen's arrest. They wouldn't adhere to that and then one of them came at me with a fishing pole," Teague told reporters outside his home Thursday.
He said the suspects, who entered his home after kicking open his door, began throwing things at him as he tried to hold them at gunpoint.
[...]
The wounded suspect, identified as Joseph A. Ortega, 33, of Moreno Valley, was hospitalized in critical condition, according to the sheriff's department.

Well done!

My issue has always been about how "good guys" are solely being defined by their lack of a criminal record. I can't think of any bad guy who didn't start with a clean criminal record. Gun reform (since clearly, we can't get rid of them) should only be about good guys (law-abiding citizens selling guns) not arming bad guys (those with no criminal record obviously buying one for a criminal act). How we can do so is something I'm not sure of but we don't seem o be having that talk.

Edit: And I say it should "only be about that" because we can do fuck all to stop bad guys from getting guns from other bad guys. But we sure as shit can do something about good guys arming bad guys.

I think Derec’s intended”point” is that assault rifles are a good way to thwart attempted home invasions, supported by two anecdotes gathered from an unknown time interval.

Fascinating Home Invasion Statistics:

• 65% of burglars are already well-acquainted with the people they rob.
  • Only 12% of home invasions are planned in advance.
  • New Mexico has the highest burglary rate with 767.8 burglaries per 100,000 people.
  • There are almost three burglaries every minute in the US.
  • 85% of home invasions are not conducted by professional burglars.
  • 62% of burglaries happen during daylight hours.
  • 88% of burglars may be robbing to support their drug habit.
  • Burglaries in the US have dropped by 37% since 2008.
If both of Derec’s examples occurred in the same week, it would indicate a success rate of less than a half of one percent. Chances are they were drugged up non-pro home invaders too, so factor that in. Then consider how much risk to self and family is increased by the presence of an AK47 in your home, and the stupidity is glaring.

So a good guy with a gun keeps his weapon secured at home and only uses it for self defense? I can get on board with that.

So a good guy with a gun keeps his weapon secured at home and only uses it for self defense? I can get on board with that.
It also comes in handy when you have simply had enough of the computers and technology in your life. I feel like doing myself this sometimes:

My issue has always been about how "good guys" are solely being defined by their lack of a criminal record. I can't think of any bad guy who didn't start with a clean criminal record. Gun reform (since clearly, we can't get rid of them) should only be about good guys (law-abiding citizens selling guns) not arming bad guys (those with no criminal record obviously buying one for a criminal act). How we can do so is something I'm not sure of but we don't seem o be having that talk.

If your record is clean at 21 it's very unlikely you'll go bad later.

I think Derec’s intended”point” is that assault rifles are a good way to thwart attempted home invasions, supported by two anecdotes gathered from an unknown time interval.

• New Mexico has the highest burglary rate with 767.8 burglaries per 100,000 people.
If both of Derec’s examples occurred in the same week, it would indicate a success rate of less than a half of one percent. Chances are they were drugged up non-pro home invaders too, so factor that in. Then consider how much risk to self and family is increased by the presence of an AK47 in your home, and the stupidity is glaring.
Not only that, but any firearm would have probably had the same effect.

If your record is clean at 21 it's very unlikely you'll go bad get caught later.
FTFY.

so in other words, the real solution to stopping home invasions/burglaries and reducing shooting deaths is:
1. legalize drugs, regulate them like any other product, make them accessible and affordable.
2. provide a social infrastructure that makes it so that people need to turn to drugs less often to mitigate the shitshow of their own existence.
3. vastly reform home insurance (or, ideally, just nationalize it) so that high value personal items are replaceable and you don't feel the need to *murder another human being* over your television.

I find this childish worldview of good guys and bad guys, wherein good guys have a right and responsibility to presonally end the lives of bad guys, very disturbing. I know it isn't just you; a great many Americans seem to believe that they live in a modernist era TV Western where you can tell how good or bad someone is by observing the color of their hat/skin. But even allowing for over-exposure to said genre, I don't really understand how anyone could pass the age of twelve or so without at some point realizing that the world is not a simple dyad between good and evil people. Since everyone is predisposed to think of themselves as good and those opposed to them as bad, I do not see how such a reductionist worldview could possibly end any other way than with everyone dead.

I find this childish worldview of good guys and bad guys, wherein good guys have a right and responsibility to presonally end the lives of bad guys, very disturbing. I know it isn't just you; a great many Americans seem to believe that they live in a modernist era TV Western where you can tell how good or bad someone is by observing the color of their hat/skin. But even allowing for over-exposure to said genre, I don't really understand how anyone could pass the age of twelve or so without at some point realizing that the world is not a simple dyad between good and evil people. Since everyone is predisposed to think of themselves as good and those opposed to them as bad, I do not see how such a reductionist worldview could possibly end any other way than with everyone dead.
“If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Who is saying they have a responsibility??

The position is that people have a right to use whatever force is necessary to stop home invaders. If the bad guys end up dead so be it.

As for the splitting into good guys and bad guys--the reality is that most people never commit substantial offenses. Violent or potentially violent crime is highly concentrated in a small segment of the population, a somewhat larger segment will engage in white collar crime.

The position is that people have a right to use whatever force is necessary to stop home invaders.
Of course they do. That does not make death anything to celebrate. Certainly not something a "good guy" would consider well done.

And the fact that upper class people commit different kinds of crimes does not make them "good people". Grow up.

Both of the scenarios listed in the OP could have just as easily occurred with a lever-action .30-30. Again showing how utterly superfluous having military style rifles in civilian hands is, unless you like big body counts at mass shootings

How many people used their home gun to kill themselves during that same period of time?

I had a man mug me in Dallas 20 years ago. I had no weapon so I handed him the money. If I was at home I and he was breaking in I'd take a gun or rifle and shoot him dead. Wouldnt like having to have done it but he chose to break in and made me fear for my life. You do stupid crap you reap terrible rewards.

The position is that people have a right to use whatever force is necessary to stop home invaders.
Of course they do. That does not make death anything to celebrate. Certainly not something a "good guy" would consider well done.

And the fact that upper class people commit different kinds of crimes does not make them "good people". Grow up.
"Good" as in not a threat, not as in angel.

How many people used their home gun to kill themselves during that same period of time?
Also
In 2021 there were at least 377 unintentional shootings by children. This resulted in 154 deaths and 242 injuries in the United States.

70% of unintentional shootings by children occur in the home.
(Link)

Back
Top Bottom