• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Great Republican Ideas

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
At the suggestion of @Metaphor, I am creating this thread as a repository for the Republican or conservative ideas that will improve Americans' standard of living, create economic stability and prosperity, improve education and technology - or anything else that would benefit Americans as a whole.

Being personally bereft of any ideas on how Republicans plan to do any such thing, I am left with the cynical view that Republicans are currently devoted to making Americans poorer, less stable, less educated and technologically inept. I hope to be disabused of that notion by the presentation of even just a few of Republicans' Great Visionary Ideas. Thank you in advance.

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
Republican hesitancy to vaccinate is going to keep COVID in play for the foreseeable future, highlighting the holes in our healthcare systems, our economy, even our political leadership's ability and willingness to represent the desires of their constituents. Eventually this highlighting MUST drive change.
One way or another.

Max Planck once said,
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.”
― Scientific Autobiography and Other Papers
The GOP approach to vaccines is creating a similar mechanism, speeding the die-off of opponents and the eventual rise to power of those who adopt the safest measures, for themselves and their posterity.

Gospel

Warning Level 9999
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
How far back in history are we allowed? In other words, is this about the Jekyll republicans or the hyde republicans?

TomC

Celestial Highness
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
How far back in history are we allowed? In other words, is this about the Jekyll republicans or the hyde republicans?

This is so important.

The Republican Party I grew up with had little in common with the TeaParty Republicans we have now.
Tom

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated

This is so important.

The Republican Party I grew up with had little in common with the TeaParty Republicans we have now.
Tom

Talking about CURRENT Republicans. Not back when they were what Democrats are now.

Republican hesitancy to vaccinate is going to keep COVID in play for the foreseeable future, highlighting the holes in our healthcare systems, our economy, even our political leadership's ability and willingness to represent the desires of their constituents. Eventually this highlighting MUST drive change.
One way or another.

Bzzzzt! Unintended consequences don't count. Waiting for positive, life-enhancing Republican ideas, visions and actions.
Looks like it could be a very long wait...

Gospel

Warning Level 9999
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic

This is so important.

Tom

I'll go as far as saying the Republicans as of the end of slavery was the new (if not true) founding fathers of America. In comparison what I see in today's Republicans are unrecognizable.

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Nonpracticing agnostic
Bzzzzt! Unintended consequences don't count. Waiting for positive, life-enhancing Republican ideas, visions and actions.

This has to be one of the most difficult challenges out there. You should offer a $1 million reward, like, you know, proof of BigFoot or something.

That said, I found something that is representative of the Republican vision, but I'm not quite sure if it meets all the criteria.

Rand Paul and the 19-Year Libertarian War on Low-Flow Toilets

untermensche

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
magic mood ring
Once upon a time Republicans claimed to care about moral conduct.

They would not support an obvious and pathological liar for office.

TomC

Celestial Highness
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
That said, I found something that is representative of the Republican vision, but I'm not quite sure if it meets all the criteria.

From the article:
Beyond the immediate buzz, conservative activists seem to agree that toilets and lightbulbs make for good talking points

Oh great.
"Marriage equality and feticide rights aren't working like they used to. Let's make water and electricity conservation the new wedge issues!"

Am I understanding that right?
Tom

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Improve America's health care by repelling ACA and doing nothing else.

Improve America's infrastructure by giving it to the wealthy.

Lower deficit spending by cutting income but not spending.

Protect America's right to commit acts of honestly held religiously based acts of discrimination.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated

This has to be one of the most difficult challenges out there. You should offer a $1 million reward, like, you know, proof of BigFoot or something.

I think Republican donors should put up the reward money. It's not like they don't wipe their asses with that kind of chump change.

I haven't had to live with gummint-restricted water concerns since I first bought my first house in 1972, so I'm not really qualified to comment on the merits of Mr. Paul's idea.
But the article does explain why he smells like shit:

"Frankly, the toilets don't work in my house," Paul said.

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
Bzzzzt! Unintended consequences don't count.
You said bupkes about intentions. You wanted "ideas that will improve Americans' standard of living."
Republicans killing off Qanon followers cannot help but improve the standards for survivors.

Waiting for positive, life-enhancing Republican ideas, visions and actions.
Two people from my town are going to Federal Prison, in all likelihood, for their participation in that group tour of the capital just after the New Year. This is very positive, and certainly enhances my life, if only by a fraction. Esp. with the anti-BLM punishments likely to enhance their punishments.

That guy who defaced the Gay Pride monument in Florida and faces EXTRA jail time because of the law meant to protect Confederate monuments? That life-affirming. Not, you know, HIS life, but oh well.

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Nonpracticing agnostic
Bzzzzt! Unintended consequences don't count.
You said bupkes about intentions. You wanted "ideas that will improve Americans' standard of living."
Republicans killing off Qanon followers cannot help but improve the standards for survivors.

Waiting for positive, life-enhancing Republican ideas, visions and actions.
Two people from my town are going to Federal Prison, in all likelihood, for their participation in that group tour of the capital just after the New Year. This is very positive, and certainly enhances my life, if only by a fraction. Esp. with the anti-BLM punishments likely to enhance their punishments.

That guy who defaced the Gay Pride monument in Florida and faces EXTRA jail time because of the law meant to protect Confederate monuments? That life-affirming. Not, you know, HIS life, but oh well.

but what about the unintended consequences of the unintended consequences that you may have thought were good? I mean, what if killing off Qarens actually leads to more conspiracies about why they died which then leads to more Qarens? Look at Ashli Babbitt dying, for example. The Reich wing has completely taken advantage of her death (which was completely their fault) to create more propaganda which then might very well be creating more Ashli Babbitts.

Far from dampening support for the big lie, Babbitt's death is being amplified by Trump loyalists into a powerful rallying symbol for far-right anti-government extremists the FBI calls terrorists, who now find aid and comfort within a Trumpified GOP.

Babbitt's canonization as a right-wing martyr is a dangerous development for a Republican Party with members increasingly comfortable pressing for and defending political violence. Trump himself seems to want to use outrage over Babbitt's death as a blast furnace to heat up his 2024 political comeback — but cheerleading extremism is more likely to send the country up in smoke.
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...-killed-capitol-riot-martyr-why-s-ncna1273750

Gospel

Warning Level 9999
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic

but what about the unintended consequences of the unintended consequences that you may have thought were good? I mean, what if killing off Qarens actually leads to more conspiracies about why they died which then leads to more Qarens? Look at Ashli Babbit dying, for example. The Reich wing has completely taken advantage of her death (which was completely their fault) to create more propaganda which then might very well be creating more Ashli Babbits.

Even after openly showing support for someone violently breaking into the US Capital he's not encouraging violence. That's another great idea brought by the current republicans, the bar is so low for indictments, that political criminals have more freedom to incite violence.

bigfield

the baby-eater
Basic Beliefs
yeah nah
At the suggestion of @Metaphor, I am creating this thread as a repository for the Republican or conservative ideas that will improve Americans' standard of living, create economic stability and prosperity, improve education and technology - or anything else that would benefit Americans as a whole.

The Republican platform seems to be based around the philosophy that standard of living, economic stability and prosperity and education are the responsibility of the individual to attain for themselves and their children. They emphasise free markets in which a few people will find stable, high-income employment, send their children to good private schools, pay for private health care, and presumably move to an affluent neighbourhood. Potentially a fine arrangement for some but not much of an opportunity for most.

TV and credit cards

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist

Being personally bereft of any ideas on how Republicans plan to do any such thing, I am left with the cynical view that Republicans are currently devoted to making Americans poorer, less stable, less educated and technologically inept. I hope to be disabused of that notion by the presentation of even just a few of Republicans' Great Visionary Ideas. Thank you in advance.

Everyone? Even Other People? Well. I'll try. Luckily, I live in Ohio.

Ohio Republicans protect gas drillers rights to drill wherever they want in the state. Who cares what the suburban mom wants. She should be tending to her chores. Not worrying about man stuff. This keeps the price of gas low for all of us. Nevermind it's often is so cheap it's hardly worth pulling out of the ground. The point is, drill baby drill is patriotic. I've seen the sign myself. There was an American flag next to it.

Ohio Republicans protect local government's right to deny wind farms in their communities. This protects the citizens from wind turbine syndrome. And cancer.

And I heard there is a town in North Carolina that refused to allow another solar farm in their county as it would suck up too much of the sunshine. This I'm paraphrasing a comment from a retired science teacher. Oh, and she said cancer too.

Besides, conservatives don't need to improve anything. America is great just the way it is was is. You know what I mean. Except the libbies. That's the only thing wrong with America is the libbies. So, as long as conservatives can own the libbies, everything will be great again again. That's why "owning the libbies" is the number one concern among Republicans. Now do you understand?

Trump Love.gif

jonatha

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
In a somewhat serious attempt to address the OP, I checked congress.gov to see what bills Garland Hale "Andy" Barr IV, my Republican Congressman, has sponsored.

HR 790 - "This bill eliminates provisions that fund the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) using transfers from the earnings of the Federal Reserve System. The transfers under current law permit the CFPB to be funded outside of the annual appropriations process, and this bill brings the CFPB into the regular process."

Could be good governance, could be a way to restrict funding to the CFPB, an agency whose mission is to reduce opportunities to fleece the financially unsophisticated.

HR 1193 - "This bill expands research on valvular heart disease and its treatment. This disease is caused by damage to or disease affecting any valve that controls blood flow in the heart."

Barr's wife died unexpectedly last year at the age of 39 from this condition.

HR 1479 - "This bill prohibits the use of federal funds to rejoin the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action—commonly known as the Iran nuclear deal—unless the President commits to submit any successor agreement to the Senate for advice and consent as a treaty."

Could be good governance, more likely a way to prevent the US from rejoining.

HR 1543 - No congress.gov summary yet available. Summary in bill text says "To provide authorities to prohibit the provision of services by social media platforms to certain individuals and entities on the Specially Designated Nationals List and senior officials of governments of a state sponsor of terrorism."

Arguably unconstitutional.

HR 1729 - No congress.gov summary yet available. Summary in bill text says "To amend the Federal Reserve Act to prohibit certain financial service providers who deny fair access to financial services from using taxpayer funded discount window lending programs, and for other purposes."

Effectively prevents banks from denying loans to legal businesses they or a large fraction of their customers find objectionable (refers to "Operation Choke Point", which was a DOJ program that "investigated banks in the United States and the business they did with firearm dealers, payday lenders, and other companies believed to be at a high risk for fraud and money laundering.")

HR 2561 - No congress.gov summary yet available. Summary in bill text says "To require the appropriate Federal banking agencies to establish a 3-year phase-in period for de novo financial institutions to comply with Federal capital standards, to provide relief for de novo rural community banks, and for other purposes."

This might actually be an example of what the OP wanted. It establishes a 3-year phase in period "to meet any Federal capital requirements that would otherwise be applicable to the financial institution" and notes in the findings

(3) A November 2019 report by the Federal Reserve System found that 44 counties in the U.S. were “deeply affected” by trends in bank closures and consolidation (i.e., had fewer than 10 branches in 2012 and lost at least 50 percent of them by 2017).

(4) 89 percent of the deeply affected counties were rural.

(5) Rural counties deeply affected by branch closures had higher poverty rates, lower median income, and a higher share of their population were African American compared to all rural communities.

HR 3012 - No congress.gov summary yet available. Summary in bill text says "To establish a Higher Education Initiative in the Office of Private Sector of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and for other purposes."

Targets "suspected incidents of individuals participating in federally funded research as agents of a foreign government in institutions of higher education and National Academies." "Foreign government" is later defined as (basically) China.

HR 3802 - No congress.gov summary yet available. Summary in bill text says "To amend the FAST Act to add activities relating to the extraction, recovery, or processing of certain materials to the definition of a critical project, and for other purposes."

Barr apparently wants to see if we can extract rare earth elements, "microfine carbon", or other "critical minerals" (broadly defined) from coal and the many forms of waste left behind by coal mining. Smells like pseudoscientific claptrap to me - if there were any hope of that I would have thought industry or the researchers they fund would have discovered it by now.

HR 3265 - No congress.gov summary yet available. Summary in bill text says "To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to apply current income tax bracket breakpoints to capital gains brackets."

Increases the amount of long-term capital gains on which zero tax is owed by $100 or $200 (depending on filing status). Increases the amount of long-term capital gains to which the 15% rate applies (and thus decreases the amount of long-term capital gains to which the 20% rate applies) by $47,600, $74,200, or $121,000 (depending on filing status).

Will no doubt be appreciated by all the poor folks in Kentucky's 6th district struggling to make ends meet on $500K in cap gains income...

H. Con. Res. 36 - "This concurrent resolution establishes the Joint Select Committee on the Events and Activities Surrounding China's Handling of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus to investigate and report to Congress and the executive branch specified information related to the coronavirus (i.e., the virus that causes COVID-19) pandemic."

I rather expect we'll get this (whether from Barr's resolution or one of the many others no doubt filed by Congressfolk of every persuasion)...

Probably won't get anything else. Barr has been in Congress since 2013 and has sponsored (i.e., introduced) 92 bills. 3 have become law (the "1921 Silver Dollar Coin Anniversary Act", a bill "to amend title 38, United States Code, to reduce the credit hour requirement for the Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship program of the Department of Veterans Affairs", and a bill "to designate the health care system of the Department of Veterans Affairs in Lexington, Kentucky, as the "Lexington VA Health Care System" and to make certain other designations.")

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
but what about the unintended consequences of the unintended consequences that you may have thought were good? I mean, what if killing off Qarens actually leads to more conspiracies about why they died which then leads to more Qarens?
If conspiracies kill of conspiracy nuts, then more conspiracies will kill off more conspiracy nuts.
They talked themselves OUT of vaccines, they talked themselves INTO bleach and hydrochlorinine (or whatever), they'll talk themselves out of the next precautionary measure, they'll talk themselves into felonies and post them to YouTube for the Feds' benefit, and they'll talk themselves into, i dunno, moving to Texas for the freedom to melt/freeze to death? It's a feedback loop that'll eventually start taking them out in droves.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
America is great just the way it is was is.

View attachment 34466

I must admit that this is the closest that anyone in this thread so far has come to painting the positive Republican vision of America.
That it would strike most people as a dystopian "Murka", may or may not be at odds with what most conservatives actually think they're working toward.
They haven't shown up to say one way or the other in this thread for some reason...
Maybe they're working on it.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
HR 1193 - "This bill expands research on valvular heart disease and its treatment. This disease is caused by damage to or disease affecting any valve that controls blood flow in the heart."

THAT does look positive, even if it is offered out of personal self interest of an elected official.
I think "somewhat serious" attached to that list reveals its truly cynical, sarcastic and possibly even facetious nature.

jonatha

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic

THAT does look positive, even if it is offered out of personal self interest of an elected official.
I think "somewhat serious" attached to that list reveals its truly cynical, sarcastic and possibly even facetious nature.

Moi? :dancy:

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...

That actually makes it negative, in my mind. They've had the ability to fund such research for however long, and nothing happens until it affects this person personally? If he'd been motivated by OTHER people dying of the condition, people he wasn't connected to beyond 'his constituents,' he might have funded it well enough and early enough to have positively impacted his wife's situation.

Especially since other people are dying of other things, such as the condo collapse, and the GOP response is not 'Shit we gotta save people from this sort of thing,' but to down play it with 'Now, let's not go overboard with construction standards and inspection frequency just because there was a tragedy...'

So any benefit from this legislation just highlights their efforts to avoid protecting anyone else if it might cost rich people a few bucks.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
but what about the unintended consequences of the unintended consequences that you may have thought were good? I mean, what if killing off Qarens actually leads to more conspiracies about why they died which then leads to more Qarens?
If conspiracies kill of conspiracy nuts, then more conspiracies will kill off more conspiracy nuts.
They talked themselves OUT of vaccines, they talked themselves INTO bleach and hydrochlorinine (or whatever), they'll talk themselves out of the next precautionary measure, they'll talk themselves into felonies and post them to YouTube for the Feds' benefit, and they'll talk themselves into, i dunno, moving to Texas for the freedom to melt/freeze to death? It's a feedback loop that'll eventually start taking them out in droves.
Yeah, but in conditions that endanger our lives at well. This isn't a, 'strap themselves to a rocket and launch to colonize The Moon' thing where their harm is just harm against them. These idiots have helped contribute to the deaths of thousands.

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Nonpracticing agnostic

I think that might be an assumption. Perhaps, you have to look at the death rate versus the replacement rate and/or consider some other variables here. Suppose, for example, that for each new conservative martyr that is created, there are 20 new Qarens created. BUT out of those Qarens, only one in the 20 ends up martyring themselves. I guess the other question is how much can the existence of these Qarens push the center of American politics to convert more centrists and moderates into Republicans. I mean, even a far leftie like me is having second thoughts on Republicans like John Kasich...and that's because on a relative level, they are starting to seem reasonable and honorable...and so this probably is impacting centrists and moderates much more.

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
Yeah, but in conditions that endanger our lives at well. This isn't a, 'strap themselves to a rocket and launch to colonize The Moon' thing where their harm is just harm against them. These idiots have helped contribute to the deaths of thousands.
yes, but 99% of the Covid deaths last month were unvaccinated. I have no idea how many were legit unable to be vaccinated, thru no fault of their own, but the numbers have to be heavily weighted towards idiots.
And we're movung in self-defense to isolate ourselves. No unvaxxed at a hospital or other business, not going where the incautious hang out. The two groups are moving in two directions, one clearly demonstrating that pride goeth before destruction.
And the divide is only going to get worse.

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
I think that might be an assumption. Perhaps, you have to look at the death rate versus the replacement rate and/or consider some other variables here.

If you have numbrrs, i would like to see them.
But while RW media talks up the martyrdom, i don't think it's persuading all that many.

I keep seeing people survive COVID and realize it's real and advocate for vaccination.
I see survivors who lost someone to Covid who make sure to point out it was his/her denial thst done for them.
I see interviews with insurrectionists, post-arrest, realizing Trump conned them.

Some are steadfast.
Some a re wavering or turning.
I would wonder how someone dying of COVID drives someone else, who isn't already anti-vax, to taking up that stance. And how many.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

This is so important.

Tom

Exactly. I have considerable political agreement with the Republicans of old. I have almost no agreement with the modern Republicans.

WAB

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
n/a

The aqueduct?

/Python humour

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Yeah, the low-flow toilets are crappy crappers. I wouldn't really call the Republicans right on this, though--the correct solution is the dual-flush design. One flusher for pee, one flusher for poo. The basic problem is one of compatibility. The floor connection is set at a certain distance from the wall and the pipe has to bend sufficiently to reach that point--and that causes problems with a low-flow design. (Look at your toilet--most toilets you can see the path the drain takes. Note how much more gentle the curve could be if the drain point was set closer to the wall, or even in the wall.)

As for light bulbs: A LED bulb is cheaper in the long run, period. The use cases for incandescent are very few. However, they went a little too far. They restricted them to specialty situations but didn't cover them correctly. There should have been no restriction on the production of incandescents but rather a mandate that they cost at least 50% more than an equivalent LED, unless there is no practical LED for the situation. (Thus bulbs for your oven don't get hit by the price requirement.) People can use them if they really need them, but the economics is always against them. (The lower electricity doesn't always cover it--think of cases where the person buying the bulbs isn't the person paying the power bill.) Personally, we still have three incandescent bulbs in use: They are outside. Our summer weather can be outside the specs for LED bulbs--while I have not tried it I would expect a short life out of a LED in those fixtures.

crazyfingers

Supermagnon
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanism

Yeah, the low-flow toilets are crappy crappers. I wouldn't really call the Republicans right on this, though--the correct solution is the dual-flush design. One flusher for pee, one flusher for poo. The basic problem is one of compatibility. The floor connection is set at a certain distance from the wall and the pipe has to bend sufficiently to reach that point--and that causes problems with a low-flow design. (Look at your toilet--most toilets you can see the path the drain takes. Note how much more gentle the curve could be if the drain point was set closer to the wall, or even in the wall.)

As for light bulbs: A LED bulb is cheaper in the long run, period. The use cases for incandescent are very few. However, they went a little too far. They restricted them to specialty situations but didn't cover them correctly. There should have been no restriction on the production of incandescents but rather a mandate that they cost at least 50% more than an equivalent LED, unless there is no practical LED for the situation. (Thus bulbs for your oven don't get hit by the price requirement.) People can use them if they really need them, but the economics is always against them. (The lower electricity doesn't always cover it--think of cases where the person buying the bulbs isn't the person paying the power bill.) Personally, we still have three incandescent bulbs in use: They are outside. Our summer weather can be outside the specs for LED bulbs--while I have not tried it I would expect a short life out of a LED in those fixtures.

I have some strip lights in my basement where 4 of 6 are connected on a movable strip all on one switch. If I only use LEDs or even mix in a fluorescent, the light switch buzzes.they are on dimmers. I need one old bulb among them to stop the buzz. I can not use the, use an old bulb or get an electrician to replace the switch. This is on 3 sets of light. However overall, i only buy LEDs these days.

crazyfingers

Supermagnon
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanism
Been trying to think when Republicans last had a good idea. I keep returning to Eisenhower,s interstate highway system. But he got the idea from the German Autobahn.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Democratic Socialist Atheist

Nah, you just have a crappy toilet. We had one too. When we bought our first home, it had just been remodeled. They used a cheap toilet. Never flushed well and it always got dirty very quickly. When we remodeled the bathroom again ourselves I spent extra money on a good high flow toilet. It worked great. All toilets have a flow rating on the box. Just pick one with a high flow rate.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated

That actually makes it negative, in my mind. They've had the ability to fund such research for however long, and nothing happens until it affects this person personally?

Oh shut up Keith and quit being such a downer. At least it was a Republican idea. :p

Two people from my town are going to Federal Prison

That guy who defaced the Gay Pride monument in Florida and faces EXTRA jail time

All the shit you come up with isn't their idea, it's just shit that happens because they don't know wtf they're doing, don't know how it effects people or the country, and don't care.
So I don't need to dive into that "consequence of unintended consequence of unintended consequence silliness. I need IDEAS - REPUBLICAN IDEAS!

Let's face it - no Republicans have stepped up in this thread. The thread is in the dumper. A high flow dumper.

crazyfingers

Supermagnon
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanism

Nah, you just have a crappy toilet. We had one too. When we bought our first home, it had just been remodeled. They used a cheap toilet. Never flushed well and it always got dirty very quickly. When we remodeled the bathroom again ourselves I spent extra money on a good high flow toilet. It worked great. All toilets have a flow rating on the box. Just pick one with a high flow rate.

Ya. Our place in Maine has a new toilet. It works great even when it splatters all over the side. TMI?

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated

Ya. Our place in Maine has a new toilet. It works great even when it splatters all over the side. TMI?

All three of ours are vintage 1996. But one cost way more than either of the others. Best toilet ever. High flow, virtually self cleaning, reliable. If it was a car it would be a new old stock '57 Chevy Bel Air Sport coup, straight 6, three on the tree. Nothing fancy, just always works like it should.

(ETA - Definitely TMI)

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
We got a low flow with a larger effluent (flapper) 3-inches versus 2-inches. It makes all the difference in a low-flow toilet.

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
All the shit you come up with isn't their idea, it's just shit that happens because they don't know wtf they're doing, don't know how it effects people or the country, and don't care.
So, what? Their policies stand to make benefit Americans. Just...not THEM.

Like the best thing that ever happened for Rush Limbaugh's show was Obama getting elected.

Best the NRA can hope for on the news is someone saying we should cut down on the number of guns out there. Or if they can claim someone said that.

Every time a school district goes to court over teaching creationism, their loss and costs give at least some school boards pause when considering the action.

Patooka

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
aaa

All three of ours are vintage 1996. But one cost way more than either of the others. Best toilet ever. High flow, virtually self cleaning, reliable. If it was a car it would be a new old stock '57 Chevy Bel Air Sport coup, straight 6, three on the tree. Nothing fancy, just always works like it should.

(ETA - Definitely TMI)

I'm surprised a thread about good Republican ideas segues to a discussion about toilets.

crazyfingers

Supermagnon
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanism

(ETA - Definitely TMI)

I'm surprised a thread about good Republican ideas segues to a discussion about toilets.

Ha. Are you really surprised?

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Nonpracticing agnostic

(ETA - Definitely TMI)

Well, Loren had a good response about dual flush toilets. When I was in Iceland, I noted that is how it works there. I think it's a good solution, provided a home actually has a problem in the first place.

Therefore, I retract my tongue-in-cheek toilet answer.

Now, I got nothing left. :confused2:

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
I think we have to go all the way back to Nixon for good republican proposals. He was good on the environment and actually proposed universal health care.

Ford fell down a lot.

Reagan was a disaster.

crazyfingers

Supermagnon
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanism
I think we have to go all the way back to Nixon for good republican proposals. He was good on the environment and actually proposed universal health care.

Ford fell down a lot.

Reagan was a disaster.

IIRC, Truman first proposed universal health care. Europeans were all doing it after WWII. Never happened here obviously.

crazyfingers

Supermagnon
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanism

Ford fell down a lot.

Reagan was a disaster.

IIRC, Truman first proposed universal health care. Europeans were all doing it after WWII. Never happened here obviously.

Upon further research, it was FDR.

Top Bottom