• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Hatred of Obama

JohnG

Basic Beliefs
Non- theist
I'm not a US citizen, and never really delved into US politics too deeply. I assumed Obama was a decent guy, helped the US get on a good path out of recession, did some of the nasty work of getting out of Iraq, maybe the odd misstep here, I dunno...

But I didn't know that there was a certain demographic of people in the US that really, really hate him.

Is this just the usual Republicans trash Democrats, and Democrats trash Republicans? I remember people saying Bush wasn't very bright, but not the outragoeus conspiracy stuff about Obama. I did a bit of research that didn't yield much, other than maybe racism.

Is that it? Is it purely race? Is it only a small, but very crazy and vocal,
cross-section of alt-right "thinkers" (Including the president)?

Maybe it's just twitter. I'm astounded at the crazy stuff I see on there. Check out the replies to a John Podesta Tweet. Unfreakin'believable some people.

It's not really race as much as it is Ideological perception.

Both my father and my father in law are Republicans, and both hate Obama, but only one of them is a racist. Actually the one that isn't the racist hates Obama more.

I'm not a US citizen, and never really delved into US politics too deeply. I assumed Obama was a decent guy, helped the US get on a good path out of recession, did some of the nasty work of getting out of Iraq, maybe the odd misstep here, I dunno...

But I didn't know that there was a certain demographic of people in the US that really, really hate him.

Is this just the usual Republicans trash Democrats, and Democrats trash Republicans? I remember people saying Bush wasn't very bright, but not the outragoeus conspiracy stuff about Obama. I did a bit of research that didn't yield much, other than maybe racism.

Maybe it's just twitter. I'm astounded at the crazy stuff I see on there. Check out the replies to a John Podesta Tweet. Unfreakin'believable some people.

No, it's not a "both sides" kind of thing at all. Conservatives in the US have gone full blown right wing authoritarian follower. It started long ago, and has risen and fallen throughout our history, but the latest right wing batshittery really began with Reagan. Not long after, Fox Newstainment came along claiming to be fair and balanced, and well, conservatives have a bad habit of believing lies without checking so long as it fits the narrative. And Fox's favorite activity is racist dog whistling.

All humans have the capacity for this, of course, and it's not black and white by any means, but there are a few cognitive traits that pool heavily among the right and religious:

• Submission to authority
  • Willingness to support all manner of injustice and inhumane treatment of outgroups
  • Scapegoating of outgroups
  • Insistence on conformity and punishment of non conformists
  • Punishment of questioning and doubt of the favored authority
  • Us vs. them mentality
  • Diminished sense of empathy
  • Diminished capacity for self reflection

The submission to authority and aversion to questioning explain a lot about the anti-intellectualism and willful ignorance so prevalent among right wingers. In the absence of a conscience (which is the opposite of submission to authority/aversion to questioning), their executive functions are pretty much used only for justifying what they have already latched onto as true and conforming to the ideological group, and not for creative problem solving where society at large is concerned.

Obama is both black (an outgroup) and a Democrat (a super duper evil outgroup). They literally have no other perceptive options available to them regarding Obama.

There's an easy to read, free ebook online that details some of the research on the right wing authoritarian phenomenon that has taken over the US government almost completely (we still have a functioning justice system and a free press at the moment) and around the globe. Australia and Europe are simmering in right wing authoritarian followers, too, unfortunately. The link to the book is in my sig below.

What Floof said, but I will add: racism

Thanks. I edited and added a line specific to Obama and racism. Blacks have consistently served as the main target for right wing bigotry in the US as other outgroups have sort of gone up and down in that respect.

One thing I think outsiders don't understand about US politics is just how far to the right our conservative politicians are, generally. So when someone refers to something like the extremists on the right, this is actually a sizeable portion of conservatives in general. To support this one can easily point to the current GOP and how they overwhelmingly support the single worst president to ever serve, one that is only 2 years into his term. Gallup has this at 90% currently. This is not hyperbole in my view. The other things to keep in mind is how intertwined the evangelical religious movement is with conservatism and the extent to which the right has its own propaganda arm to use as it sees fit, with very little regard to any kind of journalistic integrity. Underlying this all is a deeply rooted bigotry, and a class warfare between the North and South, or more accurately, between Rural and Urban areas of the country.

Spend some time listening to conservative media, and you'll find FOX News the least objectionable of the right propaganda machine. You've seen Twitter, and what passes for information in these groups. It's the outlandish and irresponsible conspiracy theorists meeting the gullible and authoritarian arms of the religious. Stir in politicians that for the last 30 years have not just let these lies stand, but encouraged them in order to dehumanize their enemies and garner votes, and you have a recipe for the disaster that is Trump.

You see, what Trump and his associates did to the rank and file GOP was what conservative media has been doing to mainstream media for a long time now. Mainly, claim bias against themselves, and sow distrust in anyone that does not spread their narrative. The right spent so much time sowing that distrust not just of minorities, but expertise in general, and especially of Liberalism, that their policy writing abilities have withered. Their only ideas are zombie economic and social ideas from fifty years ago, but they excel in fostering an outrage among their base. The GOP even has a name for their average voter. They're called "low information voters". That's their OWN name for them. This should tell you what you need to know. The average Republican voter is uneducated, intellectually incurious, religious, authoritarian, bigoted, and very, very angry, Those in the party that do not meet this description have little power or influence within the party, but for some reason like to continuously try to put their fingers in the cracks of the dike as it comes down around them.

As the country moves forward onto an increasingly complex world stage with increasingly complex problems, the average conservative politician has talked a big game with their constituents but been unable to deliver on the promises they freely make. As more and more wealth moves into the top 10 percent, and more jobs disappear thanks to automation and innovation, many of these constituents feel lost as the manufacturing economy closed up shop and the service industry takes hold. The post World War 2 edge the United States had has decreased steadily, and it is no longer for the most part, possible to live comfortably with one wage earner on a high school education. Instead of face these realities, conservatives did what they always do, created a scapegoat. In this case, there are two major offenders. Minorities for taking away all those great high paying jobs, and liberal Democrats for encouraging globalization. Not only that, but the Democrats defend the minorities, and the minorities, being lazy and willing to vote for whoever gives them a bigger handout always vote with the Democrats.

In response to conservative racist policy and language, Democrats, er coastal elites, have often shamed those living in "flyover country" and admonished them for their racist attitudes, actively wagging their finger at their banjo playing brethren in the hicks. This has caused a solidification of said rednecks, and there is nothing they like more than to say and do shocking things to make said elites cry big, awful liberal tears. This sustenance may not be as nutritious as actual food, or as useful as food stamps or health care, but it's second best.

Their final act of defiance was to elect a man that told them they didn't have to feel ashamed of being a racist turd anymore. One that angered the globalist elite cucks and made them sputter with outrage and gasp such statements as "You can't do that!" and "That's racist!" and made them cry all the more. Because America. Because freedom.

The interesting thing is that Trump actually is everything the right accused Obama of being. Tyrannical, overreaching, authoritarian, you name it.

It's just partisanship. The far right really hated Bubba and hatched a conspiracy theory that he plotted to kill Vince Foster. The far left really hated W. (Due remember that W, McCain, and Romney were Hitlers before the literally Hitler was elected in 2016.) Then the far right hated Obama. Then the Hildabeast. Now the far left really hates Trump. It's horseshoe theory. It's humorous when partisan hacks deny that they're just as bad as their doppelgangers.

This is also a perspective as an outsider looking in also, but at least compared to Australia, there are a lot of US citizens who follow political parties like they are their favourite football team. There could be an election where the choice is Henry Hayes vs Mephistopheles demon lord of the eighth plane of hell, and a significant portion of the constituents would vote solely depending on who has the (R) and who has the (D) next to their names. It isn't a "both sides" equivalency; you find a significant amount on the Republican side, but there is a bit of the "my tribe" mentality for democrats as well.

Then again I live in a country where headbutting a former leader is kind of a non story, so it's pretty clear we try not to put any politician on a pedestal as a general rule. I daresay the spectacle of the US election process has a lot to do with the blind loyalty as well.

This is also a perspective as an outsider looking in also, but at least compared to Australia, there are a lot of US citizens who follow political parties like they are their favourite football team. There could be an election where the choice is Henry Hayes vs Mephistopheles demon lord of the eighth plane of hell, and a significant portion of the constituents would vote solely depending on who has the (R) and who has the (D) next to their names. It isn't a "both sides" equivalency; you find a significant amount on the Republican side, but there is a bit of the "my tribe" mentality for democrats as well.

Then again I live in a country where headbutting a former leader is kind of a non story, so it's pretty clear we try not to put any politician on a pedestal as a general rule. I daresay the spectacle of the US election process has a lot to do with the blind loyalty as well.

Americans always amuse me when they talk about 'The Left', as if they had one.

It's a two party system, with the choice being between the right wing 'Democrats' and the far right wing 'Republicans'. Every time the Republicans move further to the right (which has been a frequent occurrence since at least the Reagan presidency), they drag the Democrats further to the right in pursuit of the electoral middle ground.

The same thing occurred in the UK, but the genuinely left wing supporters of the supposedly left wing Labour Party rebelled after the disastrous experiment started by Tony Blair of chasing the right wing Tory Party ever rightwards; And they now have a left wing leadership to the frothing HORROR of the right wing press.

Attempts to do something similar in Australia foundered on the inability of the Australian Labor Party to decide which wing it is currently on, much less which way it should move. Rudd wanted to drift right, Gillard wanted to drift left, and neither could obtain the wholehearted backing of the party.

My friend's father was a lifelong Democrat. Would never dream of voting Republican.

In 2008, when Obama accepted the nomination, he said, "I ain't voting for no monkey," and voted for John McCain.

I'm just a white guy, but racism might have been involved there.

To support this one can easily point to the current GOP and how they overwhelmingly support the single worst president to ever serve

I didn't know they supported Woodrow Wilson.

Part of the problem is people have no sense of History.

Now I know Democrats who have voted Democratic for decades and would never vote Republican. And I know Republicans who have voted Republican for decades and would never vote Democrat. Suddenly, in 2008, those Republicans who vote Republican because they are Republicans were told that they aren't voting Democrat because they are racists. Odd, that.

Suddenly, in 2008, those Republicans who vote Republican because they are Republicans were told that they aren't voting Democrat because they are racists. Odd, that.
Lord knows, I never expected my cousins to have voted Democrat in 2008, 2012 or 2016.
But I might have been a little less disappointed in the fuckers if they had not supported Republicans who ran on a thinly-veiled, or positively bragging platform of racism...

It's just partisanship. The far right really hated Bubba and hatched a conspiracy theory that he plotted to kill Vince Foster. The far left really hated W. (Due remember that W, McCain, and Romney were Hitlers before the literally Hitler was elected in 2016.) Then the far right hated Obama. Then the Hildabeast. Now the far left really hates Trump. It's horseshoe theory. It's humorous when partisan hacks deny that they're just as bad as their doppelgangers.
Your explanation ignores the basic fact that it is not only the far right that hated Obama or the Clintons.

Suddenly, in 2008, those Republicans who vote Republican because they are Republicans were told that they aren't voting Democrat because they are racists. Odd, that.
Lord knows, I never expected my cousins to have voted Democrat in 2008, 2012 or 2016.
But I might have been a little less disappointed in the fuckers if they had not supported Republicans who ran on a thinly-veiled, or positively bragging platform of racism...

Yeah, no racism to see here. All is well. Move along.

Much conservative outlook is based on nostalgia. When America was strong and men were men etc, all that crap. White men were firmly in charge, and the world was beautiful. Now everything is a mess, and equal rights, diversity, and political correctness are perceived to be the problem. It's not considered racist, just a realistic admission that minorities are less capable, and whites are paying the price.

According to that reasoning, Obama must be inferior.

It's like my favorite quote from Catch-22: "We know you're guilty, we just have to figure out what you've done."

Perhaps this question should have been asked at a forum with more balanced political representation. I'm becoming convinced that some people on this forum have never even met a Republican.

Seriously, though, how can anyone forget how awful Woodrow Wilson was?

A McCain administration's policies wouldn't have been much different from the Obama administration's, especially after watering down by Republican obstructionism.

McCain would now likely be hailed as having pulled the US from the brink of another Great Depression. I'm hard put to think that the abiding Obama hatred is anything but racism.

Perhaps this question should have been asked at a forum with more balanced political representation. I'm becoming convinced that some people on this forum have never even met a Republican.
There are plenty of libertarians and pseudolibertarians in this forum, as well as conservatives.

As usual, you are wrong. My father is a lifelong Republican (who would not vote for Trump), and one of my brothers is a Republican (who did vote for Trump).

There are plenty of Republicans who are not racists, even some who voted for Trump. But Trump courted bigots and racists in his campaign, and still feeds their hatred with his immigration rhetoric.

Back
Top Bottom