• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Have Any Book Suggestions?

JemStone

Looking for book recommendations:
any and all regarding skeptical arguments contra religion and/or any particular sect.

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Michael Martin has written a series of books giving arguments for atheism. Thorough if a bit dry. John Loftus has written or edited a series of books on the subject. J.L. Mackie, "The Miracle Of Theism". These are not exactly the popularization books such as Dawkins or Hitchens, but are more academic.

JemStone

In my library I have "The Cambridge Companion to Atheism"
Michael Martin (editor) 2006
I have some of Loftus' books. He has a good perspective as a former minister.
Also his website https://www.debunking-christianity.com/
Thanks for recommending J.L. Mackie, "The Miracle Of Theism" i will have to read it

James Brown

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic Atheist
Agree with the John Loftus recommendation.

Atheism: The Case Against God by George H. Smith was seminal for me, but it's Christian-centric.

Asimov's Guide to the Bible is eye-opening about what's not spelled out in the Bible (history, geography, etc.)

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I love the book "Atheism for Dummies, by Dale McGowan, so much that I've read it twice. I've met the author, while attending a meeting at the Atlanta Freethought Society. He's very likable and reasonable. You can get it in paperback or for the kindle. It's an enjoyable read, imo.

I read "The Case Against God" a long time ago. I gave it away to another atheist who really loved it. It was a little too academic/boring for me, but it's well written and makes a good argument from w hat I remember. I don't even remember all of the atheist books I've read. I was already an atheist when I read them.

TomC

Celestial Highness
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
I never found anti-theist or anti-Christianity books very interesting. I remember getting "The God Delusion", l lost interest a few pages in.

I found religious apologetics much more interesting.
One was "When bad things happen to good people", by Rabbi Kushner. Kushner explained away the Problem of Evil by simply eliminating "Almighty" from Almighty God.

Another was Alvin Platinga's "God, Freedom, and Evil". He just asserted that God is incapable of doing anything that he, Platinga, considers illogical.

Then there's Lee Strobel, "The Case for Christ". Strobel claimed to be a hard hitting journalist and an atheist. But he saw no apparent reason to ask tough questions of his Christian interviewees, he just accepted whatever they told him. Even when they were making up stuff and attributing it to non-Christian people.
He claimed that this method of investigation turned him from a hardcore atheist to a true believer.

Books like those keep me reading until the end. Dawkins, not so much.
Tom

ETA ~It just occurred to me to include William L Craig. He likes to talk about the Kalam Cosmological Argument.

I find KCA somewhat compelling. The simplest answer to the question "Why is there something, rather than nothing?" is "God". But then Craig goes on to attribute all kinds of human characteristics to God, like sentience and caring, with absolutely no justification. ~

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Agree with the John Loftus recommendation.

Atheism: The Case Against God by George H. Smith was seminal for me, but it's Christian-centric.

Asimov's Guide to the Bible is eye-opening about what's not spelled out in the Bible (history, geography, etc.)

Back around 1984, I read The Case Against God. At that time, also published by Promethues Books was Peter Angeles, "Critiques Of God: Making The Case Against Belief In God", and "The Case Against God: A Short Introduction". Angeles and Smith put me on the path of strong atheism.

"Critiques Of God" was a collection of essays by various authors Peter Angeles edited, for me an introduction into academic atheism.

Top Bottom