• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Hot July?

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I don't know about others, but working at home sucked this July. I'm not certain, but I think we (Akron/Canton) are looking at having shattered the average temp in July by maybe a degree. 90 degree days? We easily broke our average (what is our average these days) of 90 degree days for the summer... in July! We had one week where the high didn't drop below 90. Dropped below 85 degrees twice. Looking at July for 2019, which was one of the top ten, maybe top five hot July's on record... not even close to this year.

What makes it suck is I don't have central air AC. Why would I?! When it does get 90, it does so for a couple days and we are back to normal. But yeah... hotter than hell this July.

Most summers we use the AC for maybe a week total, a day or two here and there. This summer we've probably already used the AC more than in all the previous years combined. It's been hot and it's been dry. When it's 87 degrees in the house I cannot get good sleep so the AC goes on, and then usually goes off in the morning. This year it's stayed on a lot because it's regularly getting into the 90s. Gotta be able to sleep.

We have been under an excessive heat warning for most of the month. While 110+F days are common here in July I think there have been a lot more of them than usual.

It's not hotter than usual here in Georgia, but it does seem more humid than usual. We haven't had many days in the 90s, and of course we have central A/C as almost everyone here does. It hasn't reached 95 once, which is a bit unusual for this time of year.

I actually turn off the A/C at night and use window fans to stay comfortable. I'm very cold natured and I really hate A/C at night and our bedroom is the coolest room in the house. It doesn't seem to bother my husband either, but he grew up in Miami. Oddly enough, many of the Georgia natives seem to have a harder time dealing with the heat than I do. I've been in New Jersey in July when it was hotter and more humid than anything I've encountered here.

Last September was miserable here. Every day was very hot and we had no rain for the entire month. I sure hope we don't have a repeat of that. That was a little bit too much even for me.

I don't know about others, but working at home sucked this July. I'm not certain, but I think we (Akron/Canton) are looking at having shattered the average temp in July by maybe a degree. 90 degree days? We easily broke our average (what is our average these days) of 90 degree days for the summer... in July! We had one week where the high didn't drop below 90. Dropped below 85 degrees twice. Looking at July for 2019, which was one of the top ten, maybe top five hot July's on record... not even close to this year.

What makes it suck is I don't have central air AC. Why would I?! When it does get 90, it does so for a couple days and we are back to normal. But yeah... hotter than hell this July.

90? That's jacket weather. It was 117 here in Lake Havasu yesterday.

Here in North Texas we've actually had a slightly cooler than average July, and it's continuing on into August. Of course that means lower nineties rather than upper nineties. We've actually had several rainy days. And like in SoHy's Georgia, nearly everyone has air conditioning.

They usually measure summer here in the number of 100 degree days. In 1980 we had 69, and plenty of them were over 105 or even 110. And it's not a dry heat either. This year, so far only one or maybe two. It's still humid though.

90? That's jacket weather. It was 117 here in Lake Havasu yesterday.

Yeah, much more worrisome out west. Here, the constant sweating reminds one to keep drinking. Out there, you're hot but dry and comfortable in your clothes. It's easy to forget to drink. Then the next thing you know, it's lights out.

Here in North Texas we've actually had a slightly cooler than average July, and it's continuing on into August. Of course that means lower nineties rather than upper nineties. We've actually had several rainy days. And like in SoHy's Georgia, nearly everyone has air conditioning.

They usually measure summer here in the number of 100 degree days. In 1980 we had 69, and plenty of them were over 105 or even 110. And it's not a dry heat either. This year, so far only one or maybe two. It's still humid though.

I lived in Texas in the early 70s and I remember some temps that were over 105 in July. To be honest, they didn't bother me that much. I was young and the last house we rented didn't even have A/C. Our car didn't even have A/C. People these days are spoiled. I was in San Antonio, a beautiful sprawling city back then. I can only imagine how congested it must be by now.

I lived in Texas in the early 70s and I remember some temps that were over 105 in July. To be honest, they didn't bother me that much. I was young and the last house we rented didn't even have A/C. Our car didn't even have A/C. People these days are spoiled. I was in San Antonio, a beautiful sprawling city back then. I can only imagine how congested it must be by now.

I don't think we're spoiled so much as getting older. I didn't have A/C, either in my house or my car, until I was into my forties. It seems like the older I get the less acclimated I am to summer heat/humidity. The summer heat kills many elderly poor who don't have A/C.

And incidentally Mrs.Tharmas suffers from the reverse of SAD. She gets depressed by sunlight and does much better in the winters when it's overcast and rainy.

At 78.2, it is officially the warmest average (not average high, the average temp) temperature in Akron since people kept track of the numbers.

July seemed very hot and humid here in eastern Massachusetts and we haven't had much rain. August as started off the same. Will see what happens after the tropical storm passes.

Tell me, bilby, are you having a cold July?

Eldarion Lathria

Nope. Usually it's cold and dry here in July; Warm days but cold overnight (frost is rare, but typically we get lots of nights in the single digits °C).

This year we have had rain (very unusual in July/August around these parts), and the clouds have meant warmer nights, and slightly cooler days. Only one report of frost out west of Ipswich - usually they get a few frosty days in Ipswich, which is one of the reasons it's considered uninhabitable by Brisbanites.

July was excessively hot here in Michigan too.

But someone must have hit a switch on August 1st because it's been quite cool here these last few days. 68F here now at 4 in the afternoon.

But someone must have hit a switch on August 1st because it's been quite cool here these last few days. 68F here now at 4 in the afternoon.
This hasn't been the first time August just drops in temperature almost instantly. It is weird. More rain, but I'll take the rain and comfy (typical) temps.

Record temps last 5 days here, today might make it 6.

Doesn't seem particularly hot to me, since I'm from AZ, and the humidity here is nice and low too, so I've been pretty comfortable. :)

It's quite pleasant here on the coast, actually a bit cooler than usual. I hear from my students that inland California is getting pretty oven-like, though.

In July, we had only 4 days below 90, and 15 days of 97 or higher. I don’t remember anything like this in central Maryland.

Yup. Last week it was too warm for me to want to do any but the shortest of early-morning hikes--by the end of this week the highs on the mountain are going to be in the 70s.

We still haven't hit 95 yet, which is unusual for central Georgia. Most days are in the upper 80s with a. few in the lower 90s. We've had a lot of short afternoon showers too. Not really a bad summer at all imo. Considering that most of the time I'm sitting inside, I guess it really doesn't matter. :)

Back
Top Bottom