• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How can Covid-19 testing effectively and in mass production differentiate between live virus carriers and cleared patients?

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
And what are implications of the two being confused?

Sorry, for the drive by topic drop, but I have get this out in busy day.

I don't think we have anything currently in mind that can distinguish active from recently defeated.

My understanding is that those who have recuperated from the virus must test negative twice before being allowed to end their quarantines. I've also read that one can shed live viral cells for about 6 weeks after recovering. And then again, some people test negative even when they have the virus, as the tests aren't perfect plus the test can be done incorrectly.

It's quite confusing, isn't it?

I think the truth is that we don't know enough yet about this virus. I read traditional news reports as well as medical reports, sometimes for hours a day, and I've come to the conclusion that we still have a lot to learn about COVID-19

So the type of test for Covid-19 seems important for how it is interpreted medically and by lawmakers, employers and employees.

Let's take a very sketched example.

A guy is tested for Covid-19 with no severe symptoms, maybe because of his job classification or was near an outbreak.

He tested positive say on May 1st, but he and his employer has no idea of what kind of test was used and the interpretation it.

Set aside false positives for now, he has it actively or has smashed it to bits and the test is just showing fragments.

Now, what happens next?

Will he be retested for 2-3 more months and not be allowed to work until he tests negative? (His job is not amenable to work at home).

Is this overkill considering what we know now?

Back
Top Bottom