• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How do you feel abut the cross at ground zero?

NobleSavage

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
The American Atheists sued to have the cross at ground zero removed. The case has been thrown out. I'm not excited about the cross being there. I get how stupid it is to put up a religious symbol where 3000 people died because of religious zealots. However, I feel the American Atheists should find other fight to pick.

http://gothamist.com/2014/07/29/atheists_say_tossed_911_cross_suit.php

Other atheists have fought to keep memorial roadside crosses of public property.

"Mother Removes Cross Memorial After Dispute With Atheist Rights Group"

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...Memorial-Religion-Church-State-248741091.html

I just see this as doing more harm to the atheist community than good.

I think the "cross at ground zero" is about as religious as a silhouette of the Virgin Mary found in a grilled cheese sandwich. It is silly, really..."wow you found two perpendicular pieces of structural steel in the wreckage of two giant skyscrapers? Well the Rapture can't be far off, then!"

Filing a lawsuit? Kind of a dick move, and one that reflects badly on non-believers in general.

Correct me if I am wrong. I understand what Atheism is, however, why belittle those that believe?

I am not religious anymore, however, I will NOT begrudge anyone their beliefs. If they want to leave a cross up, let them.

IMO, if a group of atheists are going to go around wanting all religious symbols removed, then they are hindering their cause. Do atheists want every single church destroyed as well?

Correct me if I am wrong. I understand what Atheism is, however, why belittle those that believe?

I am not religious anymore, however, I will NOT begrudge anyone their beliefs. If they want to leave a cross up, let them.

IMO, if a group of atheists are going to go around wanting all religious symbols removed, then they are hindering their cause. Do atheists want every single church destroyed as well?

The idea is that there are people who died in the World Trade Centers who were not Christian, and so it's ridiculous to have them all represented by a Cross. But, again, I don't think there's much anyone can do about it, and I don't think going for a lawsuit every time something like this happens is the way to go.

The idea is that there are people who died in the World Trade Centers who were not Christian, and so it's ridiculous to have them all represented by a Cross. But, again, I don't think there's much anyone can do about it.

So to remove the cross will satisfy the non-christians? Okay. What about the jewish people? I agree. It is virtually impossible to provide enough different symbols of respect to suit everyone who passed.

This one, IMO, is in the too-hard-to-please-everyone basket.

I must admit, I giggled to myself when I heard that they assigned significant meaning to finding the cross. But I will not begrudge it's place there. It is part of the building so let it stay.

These easiest way to ensure no religious/non-religious group is excluded/included in the memorial is to have entirely secular in nature.

I suspect the lawsuit was more about challenging the presumption that christianity holds a unique position in American society that trumps all other beliefs. However, the chances of it being portrayed as such in the media are next to nil so, overall, I think the inevitably negative courage outweighs any potential benefit the AA might have gained.

Pick your fights carefully.

Given how too many otherwise semi-sane christian wanna-be martyrs are crowing about the "victory" on FaceBook, I think American Atheists shot us all in the foot with this one.

As for the Christians finding meaning in a random piece of wreckage from a building that had thousands of similar "crosses" - it makes them look eye-rollingly stupid, but what else is new. :shrug:

The American Atheists sued to have the cross at ground zero removed. The case has been thrown out. I'm not excited about the cross being there. I get how stupid it is to put up a religious symbol where 3000 people died because of religious zealots. However, I feel the American Atheists should find other fight to pick.

http://gothamist.com/2014/07/29/atheists_say_tossed_911_cross_suit.php

Other atheists have fought to keep memorial roadside crosses of public property.

"Mother Removes Cross Memorial After Dispute With Atheist Rights Group"

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...Memorial-Religion-Church-State-248741091.html

I just see this as doing more harm to the atheist community than good.
take it down. if it were crescent shaped it would already be down.

Back
Top Bottom