• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How should west respond to potential (likely) Russian invasion of Ukraine?

Jayjay

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
An accurate worldview or philosophy
I think most people are patriotic to some degree, in any country.

If Canada offered United States a tract of land to connect Washington with Alaska, at no cost, most Americans would probably agree that it's a nice thing to have, even if they lived in neither state. Bigger America, better America.

If there were a few Canadians who objected, their objections might be pushed aside because of greater good, and imagine all the trade and development it would cause. And Canadians speak English so they wouldn't even have to leave their homes, they'd just live in the US. And doesn't it make more sense to have each country be contiguous? That's better for everyone.

Now that you have the idea in your head that western coast of Canada belongs to the US, even if more Canadians objected, that would just seem like they're just being greedy. Maybe some of them even take arms, and start terrorizing America. Those ingrates. They should have their land taken from them for being so unreasonable.

And there you go. What patriotic American wouldn't support a special military operation to build a land bridge to Alaska? And unpatriotic Americans obviously shouldn't have a say in it, they're colluding with the enemy!

marc

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist, skeptic, nerd
Barbos's obsession with a handful of neo-nazis in Ukraine is cute.

It's like, should we be worried about the fascist state that tried to obliterate the culture of its neighbors and take their land and wealth through violent aggression in the 1940's, or the one doing it now in the 2020's?
I think if you could find more nazis at an average CPAC conference.

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
I note that some intercepted phone calls from angry Russian soldiers in Ukraine have been intercepted. Disgusted by lack of equipment fuel, food and hopelessness, apparently some Russian soldiers are planning to desert starting on the 26th, Going home. Some are shooting them selves to be sent home. Stay tuned for this on the 26th. Meanwhile, estimates are being made that 30% of Russian, military personnel have been killed, wounded, or captured. How long can that keep going on?

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
I think most people are patriotic to some degree, in any country.

If Canada offered United States a tract of land to connect Washington with Alaska, at no cost, most Americans would probably agree that it's a nice thing to have, even if they lived in neither state. Bigger America, better America.

If there were a few Canadians who objected, their objections might be pushed aside because of greater good, and imagine all the trade and development it would cause. And Canadians speak English so they wouldn't even have to leave their homes, they'd just live in the US. And doesn't it make more sense to have each country be contiguous? That's better for everyone.

Now that you have the idea in your head that western coast of Canada belongs to the US, even if more Canadians objected, that would just seem like they're just being greedy. Maybe some of them even take arms, and start terrorizing America. Those ingrates. They should have their land taken from them for being so unreasonable.

And there you go. What patriotic American wouldn't support a special military operation to build a land bridge to Alaska? And unpatriotic Americans obviously shouldn't have a say in it, they're colluding with the enemy!

The Alaska Highway (French: Route de l'Alaska; also known as the Alaskan Highway, Alaska-Canadian Highway, or ALCAN Highway) was constructed during World War II to connect the contiguous United States to Alaska across Canada. It begins at the junction with several Canadian highways in Dawson Creek, British Columbia, and runs to Delta Junction, Alaska, via Whitehorse, Yukon. When it was completed in 1942, it was about 2,700 kilometres (1,700 mi) long, but in 2012, it was only 2,232 km (1,387 mi). This is due to the continuing reconstruction of the highway, which has rerouted and straightened many sections. The highway opened to the public in 1948.[1] Once legendary for being a rough, challenging drive, the highway is now paved over its entire length.[2] Its component highways are British Columbia Highway 97, Yukon Highway 1 and Alaska Route 2.

Put could probably hve negotiated a road to Russia's naval base.

steve_bank

Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
I found some articles on Noam Chomsky's positions.

Noam Chomsky, Jeremy Scahill on the Russia-Ukraine War - Apr 14

Noam Chomsky: Trump Is The "One Western Statesman" Pushing For Diplomacy To End Ukraine War | Video | RealClearPolitics - May 1

Which is far too generous. The truth about Trump is much closer to what he said nearly six years ago: Noam Chomsky: "Hitler Was A Sincere, Dedicated Ideologue -- Trump Isn't" | Video | RealClearPolitics - 2016 Nov 29

Noam Chomsky Says Ukraine Desire for Heavy Weapons Is 'Western Propaganda' - May 13

NC seems like he is willing to give Vladimir Putin the sort of pass that he does not give to the US foreign-policy establishment.
At this point does nayone actually think Putin will negotite, and even if he did he coud be trusted?

The video of Trump passively sitting next to Putin kissing his ass saying he believes everything Putin says makes me sick as an American. Trump a western statesman, give me a break.

I was not aware Chompsky was a Trump fascist.

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I found some articles on Noam Chomsky's positions.

Noam Chomsky, Jeremy Scahill on the Russia-Ukraine War - Apr 14

Noam Chomsky: Trump Is The "One Western Statesman" Pushing For Diplomacy To End Ukraine War | Video | RealClearPolitics - May 1

Which is far too generous. The truth about Trump is much closer to what he said nearly six years ago: Noam Chomsky: "Hitler Was A Sincere, Dedicated Ideologue -- Trump Isn't" | Video | RealClearPolitics - 2016 Nov 29

Noam Chomsky Says Ukraine Desire for Heavy Weapons Is 'Western Propaganda' - May 13

NC seems like he is willing to give Vladimir Putin the sort of pass that he does not give to the US foreign-policy establishment.
At this point does nayone actually think Putin will negotite, and even if he did he coud be trusted?

The video of Trump passively sitting next to Putin kissing his ass saying he believes everything Putin says makes me sick as an American. Trump a western statesman, give me a break.

I was not aware Chompsky was a Trump fascist.
Agreed. Russia can't be trusted. It's possible that Chomp is getting a little bit addled. The May 13 interview was bizarre.

steve_bank

Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
My impression of Chomsky was a tenured professor not living in the real world.

If he really called Trump a statesman it reveals who he really is. Or he is entering old age dementia.

Top Bottom