• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How to Create a Gun-Free America in 5 Easy Steps

Easy (easy, it says) steps. Even in a world where perhaps some things are relative, those steps are in no way easy.

Yes, divert the resources of law enforcement away from the war on drugs to the war to save our children from gun violence.

Very easy.

Yes, divert the resources of law enforcement away from the war on drugs to the war to save our children from gun violence.

Very easy.
Better to have no drugs than to have no guns. The war on drugs is a worthwhile effort while the war on guns is not. And by drugs, I'm talking about things like Coke, meth, and crack...stuff like that.

Coke, meth, and crack...stuff like that.

Would you include Pepsi too?

I was just messin' with unter...

But no, Pepsi is fine. Watch out for Diet Pepsi though; I hear there is a high correlation with heart disease, so much so that if the argument behind the logic was sound (which it's not, 'cause I like to be like that), we might want to keep a watchful eye on those diet drinks too.

Very easy.

Hang on. Didn't the government make drugs illegal? Why do we still have them? Why aren't people following the law?

- - - Updated - - -

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnoFKskvSq4[/youtube]

How does disarming law-abiding citizens make them safer?

09d69cdc341036a1acc151ea9eb8cbf9.jpg

Wait...the video made the mistake of assuming the Constitution needs to be amended by sovereign votes in a nation "of, for, and by" the people. That is a very quaint and old fashioned notion.

Steps 1 through 4 are unnecessary. The video makers seem to be unaware of the hidden "Decree" and "Opinion" by revelation loophole - President Hillary issues a Decree she will make and enforce laws (regulations) as she pleases, or the Court's Gang of 5 render an "Opinion" (Decree) that they discovered that the amendment is advisory only.

In other words, these six folk tells the nation that the law is what they say it is - period. Think of it as Congress, and written law, as being advisory.

The NRA go the America it wanted. And now we have about as many deaths from mass shootings as we have days in the year.

Congrats NRA. Your vision of America is here. God bless America!

Wait...the video made the mistake of assuming the Constitution needs to be amended by sovereign votes in a nation "of, for, and by" the people. That is a very quaint and old fashioned notion.

Steps 1 through 4 are unnecessary. The video makers seem to be unaware of the hidden "Decree" and "Opinion" by revelation loophole - President Hillary issues a Decree she will make and enforce laws (regulations) as she pleases, or the Court's Gang of 5 render an "Opinion" (Decree) that they discovered that the amendment is advisory only.

In other words, these six folk tells the nation that the law is what they say it is - period. Think of it as Congress, and written law, as being advisory.
Anyone remember the days of "Loyal Bushies"? It seems to some that Obama is the first person to use discretion as President of the US.

And how do you propose to take all the guns people have hidden?

I think the real way to lower the gun population of this country is to de-popularize guns and re-purpose the factories that make them. A gun factory just makes guns and is beholden to the NRA to keep its doors open and its foundries and lathes spinning. I think the answer might be to offer these factories some other sort of production to replace guns...a mechanical product possibly to produce alternative energy. This might even be an approach to the ammunition factories. These are robust industries that need to have a revenue stream and to keep their machinery operating. Guns, if they are to be used, require ammunition.

I think guns need a campaign similar to the one used on the cigarette industry because they are the same type of thing...they kill people and their primary purpose, unlike cigarettes, is to kill people. Guns were invented to kill people, not to make marks on targets. I think we have to eventually recognize the anachronism of both our Second Amendment and guns themselves. Their history on our planet is bloodstained at every turn. There are better focuses for the human psyche. It is more a matter of more people realizing this and then perhaps we can make some inroads on the dominance of guns, and gun manufacturers on our society.

I think the real way to lower the gun population of this country is to de-popularize guns and re-purpose the factories that make them. A gun factory just makes guns and is beholden to the NRA to keep its doors open and its foundries and lathes spinning. I think the answer might be to offer these factories some other sort of production to replace guns...a mechanical product possibly to produce alternative energy. This might even be an approach to the ammunition factories. These are robust industries that need to have a revenue stream and to keep their machinery operating. Guns, if they are to be used, require ammunition.

I think guns need a campaign similar to the one used on the cigarette industry because they are the same type of thing...they kill people and their primary purpose, unlike cigarettes, is to kill people. Guns were invented to kill people, not to make marks on targets. I think we have to eventually recognize the anachronism of both our Second Amendment and guns themselves. Their history on our planet is bloodstained at every turn. There are better focuses for the human psyche. It is more a matter of more people realizing this and then perhaps we can make some inroads on the dominance of guns, and gun manufacturers on our society.

You mean like remove guns and references to guns from movies and TV? Remove guns and references to guns from video games so they don't influence children? Remove guns from most public places? Ban hunting, shooting competitions, and ranges? Even shut down our high school skeet shooting team and our college rifle team? Raise taxes on all gun related items?

That sort of thing?

It's about as unrealistic as saying the NRA or gun manufacturers drive legislation and not the roughly 70-80 million gun owners (40-45 million handgun owners) in the US who happen to vote. The total NRA membership is only ~4.5 million. The entire gun industry profits are equal to one or two wall street investment banks.

We can't even reduce the number of NCIS shows down to a reasonable amount, let alone reduce the number of guns advertised by the entertainment industry.

How does disarming law-abiding citizens make them safer?

View attachment 4366

If you have guns in a gun-free zone, you stand out from the crowd.

- - - Updated - - -

“You don’t need no gun control, you know what you need? We need some bullet control. Men, we need to control the bullets, that’s right. I think all bullets should cost five thousand dollars… five thousand dollars per bullet… You know why? Cause if a bullet cost five thousand dollars there would be no more innocent bystanders.
Yeah! Every time somebody get shot we’d say, ‘Damn, he must have done something ... Shit, he’s got fifty thousand dollars worth of bullets in his ass.’

And people would think before they killed somebody if a bullet cost five thousand dollars. ‘Man I would blow your fucking head off…if I could afford it.’ ‘I’m gonna get me another job, I’m going to start saving some money, and you’re a dead man. You’d better hope I can’t get no bullets on layaway.’

So even if you get shot by a stray bullet, you wouldn't have to go to no doctor to get it taken out. Whoever shot you would take their bullet back, like "I believe you got my property.”

― Chris Rock

How to Create a Gun-Free America in 5 Easy Steps

1. Create the Junited Nations
2. Elect a Black Kenyan Muslim for President
3. Force diplomacy with Cuba
4. ?
5. Take everyone's guns

Where I live blacks account for less than 5% of the population and 95% of the homicides and 90% of the shootings. If we're going to ignore the constitution, then common sense gun control would be to disarm blacks.

It's for the children.

Or we could address root causes instead of stupid "do something" proposals that do nothing.

Yes, the only way to get things done in this country is by Constitutional Amendment. Way to go, "Reason." You've made your quota of windmill-tilting for the week!

Oh, and about that "gun free zone" argument? Turns out most of America is a "gun free zone." Though we have over 300 million of them, they are held by less than one third of the population. Here's a map:

gun-ownership-map-updated.png

Jesus...Nebraska is just asking to get shot! :rolleyes:

But seriously, folks. No "reason"able people are actually demanding that the 1/3 of America that is armed be completely disarmed like the other 2/3 of the country. We just want a little more safety, and some modicum of security from people who own guns, but aren't good at handling them. And unlike the fine folks at "Reason," a little regulation doesn't mean confiscation of guns.

On the way home from work today I passed an accident on the freeway. Kinda hard to figure out what exactly had happened, but it probably happened at around 75mph. One car had serious front end damage and had spun completely around to face oncoming traffic, while the other damaged car was sitting on the side of the freeway. Traffic was slowly moving by the two drivers, who were talking to each other while they waited for emergency vehicles to arrive.

Now, 50 years ago if two vehicles had collided going 75mph on the freeway, the drivers wouldn't be casually chatting over the damage. They'd likely be slowly bleeding to death in their respective vehicles or at the very least too injured to move. The scene I saw today was made possible by the fact that we regulate the living shit out of automobiles. They are designed to meet federal crash test requirements and while they're not perfect, they're several orders of magnitude safer than grandpa's prized 1965 Buick.

You can't operate one of these relative cocoons of safety features without a license and insurance. Once you do get on the road there are all sorts of rules to follow, and if you fail to operate within those rules you can lose your permission to drive.

Has this eliminated all traffic accidents? No. Do people still die in traffic accidents? Yes. But all this onerous government regulation has absolutely made driving safer. More importantly for the gun debate, it has not led to a ban on cars, nor has it led to widespread confiscation of motor vehicles. You don't have to make America "gun free" in order for it to be safer, anymore than you have to make America "car free" in order to make the roads safer.

I guarantee you Nebraska's gun ownership rate is greater than 20%.

But we're talking common sense controls to reduce shootings and homicides. So it's obvious that we could reduce ours by more than 90% by restricting minorities.

90%

That's huge. Why target mentally ill people or gun owners in general with that sort of low hanging fruit.

Back
Top Bottom