• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

I scream, you scream, we all scream for Recipes on Ice Cream!

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I've been dieting for the past couple of months (lost around 20 lbs or about 9000000 mg). One thing I couldn't have was ice cream. Because you know... lots of calories for not so much. So, like any normal person, I put together a spreadsheet to analyze just how the calories added up and see where I could reduce.

There are three main sources of calories in ice cream, sugar, dairy, and eggs. In general, it appears that typical ice cream is a mix of milk and half and half. The "good stuff", primarily half and half. The very good stuff, half and half and heavy cream. Many many recipes online ask you to use heavy cream in heavy doses. As noted before, the "good stuff" uses half and half. So any recipe with heavy cream is pretty overkill both in flavor and in heart disease.

So I've begun working on ice cream, hardly an expert... yet. In order to get a good low cal ice cream recipe, you need flavor. Mint and Coffee come immediately to mind both in potency and lack of calories. The good thing about eggs is they are kick out-able in a recipe. Don't have to have them. One way to make up for the eggs is to use a higher fat recipe. The fat generally helps smooth out the ice cream... but it is also the source of why you are about to break your ice cream scooper when you be using an ice pick to get it out of the container you just removed from the freezer. Also, as noted, trying to avoid the calories.

Unfortunately, this ends my expertise in ice cream, as Xanthum gum is recommended to help gel the ice cream together. I believe Coldstone uses pudding mix (but that has calories).

Without Xanthum gum, whole mix ice cream is a bit hard and crystally. I used about half the sugar other recipes called for. It turns out decent, but I think adding something to help with the texture will improve the product.

The other thing I want to try is Stevia... the no calorie natural sweetner that is so sweet, you shouldn't use it without professional help. From what I've seen online, the reviews of ice creams with stevia are all over the place. One article I read suggested that stevia when used with sugar, is actually the best solution. The stevia helps extend the flavor, instead of trying to be only thing on stage... kind of like Rick Wakeman is better when playing with Yes, than doing a solo show. But I'll need to try that out and see if that works.

Back to the spreadsheet, my conclusion for making lower calorie ice creams was halfing the sugar and using whole milk. Yes, you can use 2% or lower, but the calorie savings verses the likely degraded quality of product isn't a good trade off. I have some mocha coffee cookies and creme made with just whole milk in the freezer at the moment and will report on the findings. I believe that has a 240 calorie per cup rating, which is about 80 calories (334000 mJ) lower... about 25.0000 percent.

I will discover either the truly best low calorie ice cream every made or fail miserably and ultimately reinvent the wheel, rediscovering that it can't be done. Either way, should be interesting... and because it is only whole milk, I'm not blowing through a huge amount of money to do so.

Any one else has advice, recipes, snipes feel free to share, as long as it is ice cream or some sort of other dessert born from an ice cream maker.

I've been dieting for the past couple of months (lost around 20 lbs or about 9000000 mg). One thing I couldn't have was ice cream. Because you know... lots of calories for not so much. So, like any normal person, I put together a spreadsheet to analyze just how the calories added up and see where I could reduce.

There are three main sources of calories in ice cream, sugar, dairy, and eggs. In general, it appears that typical ice cream is a mix of milk and half and half. The "good stuff", primarily half and half. The very good stuff, half and half and heavy cream. Many many recipes online ask you to use heavy cream in heavy doses. As noted before, the "good stuff" uses half and half. So any recipe with heavy cream is pretty overkill both in flavor and in heart disease.

So I've begun working on ice cream, hardly an expert... yet. In order to get a good low cal ice cream recipe, you need flavor. Mint and Coffee come immediately to mind both in potency and lack of calories. The good thing about eggs is they are kick out-able in a recipe. Don't have to have them. One way to make up for the eggs is to use a higher fat recipe. The fat generally helps smooth out the ice cream... but it is also the source of why you are about to break your ice cream scooper when you be using an ice pick to get it out of the container you just removed from the freezer. Also, as noted, trying to avoid the calories.

Unfortunately, this ends my expertise in ice cream, as Xanthum gum is recommended to help gel the ice cream together. I believe Coldstone uses pudding mix (but that has calories).

Without Xanthum gum, whole mix ice cream is a bit hard and crystally. I used about half the sugar other recipes called for. It turns out decent, but I think adding something to help with the texture will improve the product.

The other thing I want to try is Stevia... the no calorie natural sweetner that is so sweet, you shouldn't use it without professional help. From what I've seen online, the reviews of ice creams with stevia are all over the place. One article I read suggested that stevia when used with sugar, is actually the best solution. The stevia helps extend the flavor, instead of trying to be only thing on stage... kind of like Rick Wakeman is better when playing with Yes, than doing a solo show. But I'll need to try that out and see if that works.

Back to the spreadsheet, my conclusion for making lower calorie ice creams was halfing the sugar and using whole milk. Yes, you can use 2% or lower, but the calorie savings verses the likely degraded quality of product isn't a good trade off. I have some mocha coffee cookies and creme made with just whole milk in the freezer at the moment and will report on the findings. I believe that has a 240 calorie per cup rating, which is about 80 calories (334000 mJ) lower... about 25.0000 percent.

I will discover either the truly best low calorie ice cream every made or fail miserably and ultimately reinvent the wheel, rediscovering that it can't be done. Either way, should be interesting... and because it is only whole milk, I'm not blowing through a huge amount of money to do so.

Any one else has advice, recipes, snipes feel free to share, as long as it is ice cream or some sort of other dessert born from an ice cream maker.

Have you tried it with Eggbeaters instead of losing the egg altogether? Eggbeaters is, from what I understand, a decent replacement for egg in everything egg is used in, but with like half the caloric content and no cholesterol or fat involved.

I still eat ice cream even though I am dieting.

This one:
78727754-9A5E-4904-A8C7-46C95C5D4B34.png

Is very creamy, more so than most full fat ice creams.

And only about 700kJ per 100g serve. It’s good!

I have been experimenting with ice cream. I got some guar gum. It helps gel things and is a common ice cream additive. Another hot additive is MCT, mid chain tryglyceride, that comes from coconut oil. It is expensive, about $13.00 a quart but it takes only two table spoons to help stop ice cream from getting hard. My next experiment. Some people add 2 table spoons of vodka. Stops ice crystals from forming.

My ice cream maker is small, (1 1/2 quarts) so I have been doing 2 cups of heavy cream whipped almost to whipped cream consistancy and a 14 ounce can of condensed milk. I have been using store brand Splenda. No eggs.

I have been using almond extract for flavoring. I tried frozen cherries but not much flavor. Maraschino cherries is much better. Chopped up a cup and pureed a quarter cup added to my condensed milk. I did some carmelized frozen peach slices which was good, but adding a half cup of pureed peaches made the ice cream hard. Black berry ice cream worked quite well. Chop up peach slices, add a teaspoon of brown sugar, (I used a flavored Truvia product) and place in a microwave 5 minutes. Amazingly good.

Next up will be eggnog ice cream, toasted coconut, semi-sweet chocolate, and I want some rum extract. Walnut and French vanilla. I have some frozen raspberries to try a sherbet. I can't have any citrus fruits for medical reasons so no daquiri ice cream or lime sherbet. I have some sugar free peppermints for later. I am supposed to avoid bananas but have some banana extract. Maybe with pecans bits.

I dug out my old waffle cone maker, and will play with that along with this also.

I did some raspberry sherbet.

I got some frozen raspberries at Walmart.

Rinse berries. 2 /12 cups of berries
1 cup Splenda
2 cups of milk.
1/4 tspn salt

I mixed a bit of milk with berries and pureed them in my little food processor.
Got everything pureed in three batches. Put them in the ice cream maker and started it. This is good. Made about a quart.

I am not supposed to eat citrus fruits. Or bananas. So no lime sherbet, or grapefruit sherbet. Or Daquiri Ice like Baskin Robbins. Maybe later, blueberry sherbet. Or Pineapple.

Sherbet recipe #2
I had half of a cup of frozen raspberries left. But I also had some frozen cherries and black berries. This made truly magnificent sherbet. Next time I will run my sherbet through sieve to remove the black berry seeds though.

Latest ice cream recipe. Maraschino cherries, walnut bits, and rum extract for flavor, Very good!

Next up, semi-sweet dark cocoa. With walnuts probably, and sugar free chocolate bits.

I'd be hesitant to use raspberries, unless they were wild. Blackberries and cherries would be the better bet, and probably wouldn't need to add much in the way of sugar, but that'd get expensive quick! It just seems we destroyed raspberries like we screwed up the tomato. I remember eating those like apples as a kid, with a little salt and pepper, those were grown in our own garden.

Fresh berries are expensive. Frozen berries are much more affordable. I am about to order some butterscotch extract. Butterscotch and peaches maybe. Perhaps experimenting with toasted cocanut.

I may try a heated ice cream scoop. Lithium battery powered thingy.

Back
Top Bottom