• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

I'm dreaming of a White Christmas!

gmbteach

Mrs Frizzle
Basic Beliefs
On my journey :D
Yes, we are nuts! We could travel to the UK in summer and enjoy sunshine and (reasonably) warm weather. But no! I am insane (apparently) because I want to see snow!

So we are off the UK in December/January.

So far our plans are to spend most of it in London, with an overnight trip to Stoke-On-Trent (to see my Mum's cousin), a few days in Leeds/Huddersfield for Christmas, up to Scotland for Hogmanay, and back to London!

Tame compared to previous trips however, we are doing it all by train this time, so are limiting ourselves.

We would love to stay in Aviemore for Hogmanay, but it seems to be booking up quickly. Can anyone recommend another lovely place in Scotland that has snow, where we can sit by a roaring fire while it's snowing softly (or heavily) outside and drink whiskey? Or am I asking a ridiculously stupid question? :D

Also, on these threads, can we post pics of our travels please?

Thanks

Yes, we are nuts! We could travel to the UK in summer and enjoy sunshine and (reasonably) warm weather. But no! I am insane (apparently) because I want to see snow!

So far our plans are to spend most of it in London, with an overnight trip to Stoke-On-Trent (to see my Mum's cousin), a few days in Leeds/Huddersfield for Christmas, up to Scotland for Hogmanay, and back to London!

Tame compared to previous trips however, we are doing it all by train this time, so are limiting ourselves.

We would love to stay in Aviemore for Hogmanay, but it seems to be booking up quickly. Can anyone recommend another lovely place in Scotland that has snow, where we can sit by a roaring fire while it's snowing softly (or heavily) outside and drink whiskey? Or am I asking a ridiculously stupid question? :D

Thanks

I thought pictures were mandatory. At least I hoped that they were.

Thanks

I thought pictures were mandatory. At least I hoped that they were.
Then, let’s make it mandatory! :)

Thanks

Why the UK? If you want to see snow at Christmastime, wouldn't the Alps or the Rockies be prettier?

Plus, Colorado has far superior Tex-Mex food compared to the UK. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

On second thought, forget that I even mentioned the Rockies. Don't come to America until we stop being a shooting gallery, the cops stop murdering people, and our bridges stop falling down. None of that makes for a very good vacation.

So, uh, Alps? It's really fucking beautiful in the Winter and the skiing kicks all kinds of [bad word]

WOOHOO - Accommodation for Aviemore, Scotland is booked....

Bring on the winter playground, the roaring fire and the whiskey!

Most excellent.

I stayed in Blair Atholl, just two stops south of Aviemore on the rail line. I was going to suggest it, or Pitlochry, as backups to Aviemore.

Thanks

Why the UK? If you want to see snow at Christmastime, wouldn't the Alps or the Rockies be prettier?

Plus, Colorado has far superior Tex-Mex food compared to the UK. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

On second thought, forget that I even mentioned the Rockies. Don't come to America until we stop being a shooting gallery, the cops stop murdering people, and our bridges stop falling down. None of that makes for a very good vacation.

So, uh, Alps? It's really fucking beautiful in the Winter and the skiing kicks all kinds of [bad word]
We have chosen the UK because we have family there. I have two aunts and a heap of cousins in Toronto and Detroit so they are on the list, however, as Bilby doesn’t have family in the US, the UK takes precedence.

Where we are staying in Scotland is supposed to be the skiing area of the UK.

No relatives in Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, etc.?

My suggestion was in jest anyway. You guys seem to go to the UK somewhat frequently.

No relatives in Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, etc.?

My suggestion was in jest anyway. You guys seem to go to the UK somewhat frequently.

Mainly because of family. It’s not easy when your loved ones are on the other side of the, let alone the world!

We try and get back about every 2 years. This time it will be nearly 30 months between visits. As we have young nieces, we want to be known to them and not the weird unknown relatives from Australia!

Back
Top Bottom