• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

In authoritarian regimes like Russia, mass media is beholden to advancing state propaganda and covering up the truth

PyramidHead

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Marxist-Leninist
vqnbeti3x5v31.png

Wikipedia said:
The Highway of Death (Arabic: طريق الموت‎ ṭarīq al-mawt) is a six-lane highway between Kuwait and Iraq, officially known as Highway 80. It runs from Kuwait City to the border town of Safwan in Iraq and then on to the Iraqi city of Basra. The road was used by Iraqi armored divisions for the 1990 Invasion of Kuwait. It was repaired after the Persian Gulf War and used by U.S. and British forces in the initial stages of the 2003 invasion of Iraq.[5]

During the American led coalition offensive in the Persian Gulf War, American, Canadian, British and French aircraft and ground forces attacked retreating Iraqi military personnel attempting to leave Kuwait on the night of February 26–27, 1991, resulting in the destruction of hundreds of vehicles and the deaths of many of their occupants. Between 1,400 and 2,000 vehicles were hit or abandoned on the main Highway 80 north of Al Jahra.

The scenes of devastation on the road are some of the most recognizable images of the war, and it has been suggested that they were a factor in President George H. W. Bush's decision to declare a cessation of hostilities the next day.[6] Many Iraqi forces, however, successfully escaped across the Euphrates river, and the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency estimated that upwards of 70,000 to 80,000 troops from defeated divisions in Kuwait might have fled into Basra, evading capture.

In the game, the Highway of Death is relocated to the fictional country of "Urzikstan", and the event in question was carried out by the Russians.

Is it being used to whitewash what happened in the Gulf War?

It seems so, but I'm at a loss as to why they just didn't mention it at all. They need the Americans to be the good guys, but they could've gotten away with that portrayal by simply not including the Highway of Death. Which means, at some point, there had to be a calculation between the pros and cons of referring to it. "On the one hand, it's an example of an American war crime that won't make our investors very happy if we say what really happened. On the other hand, it's super cool lore-wise. I mean, 'Highway of Death'? That's rad. It's staying in. Just say Russians did it."

Is it being used to whitewash what happened in the Gulf War?

It seems so, but I'm at a loss as to why they just didn't mention it at all.
Same reason the Tulsa Riots aren't taught in school?
They need the Americans to be the good guys, but they could've gotten away with that portrayal by simply not including the Highway of Death. Which means, at some point, there had to be a calculation between the pros and cons of referring to it.
You might be giving way too many people too much credit for historical knowledge.
"On the one hand, it's an example of an American war crime that won't make our investors very happy if we say what really happened. On the other hand, it's super cool lore-wise. I mean, 'Highway of Death'? That's rad. It's staying in. Just say Russians did it."
Well I suppose if that is true, the next game with involve Russian meddling in a made up nation, but said meddling didn't go well because of a failed occupational government and the US will need to step in to quell rising terrorism threats.

My brother has a stack of Polaroids from the Highway Of Death aftermath. Lots of crispy Iraqi soldiers.

They still had their equipment, they were still combatants, they were valid targets. The highway of death was not a war crime.

They still had their equipment, they were still combatants, they were valid targets. The highway of death was not a war crime.

Thanks for your input, it's a wonder you managed to type with that boot all the way down your throat.

I guess "russians" were right to bomb them then.

My sentiments exactly, barbos. The whole reason the event was included in the game was BECAUSE it was a heinous act of callous disregard for human life, which for the purposes of their war simulation had to be something done by non-Americans in the narrative.

Are there really lots of people in Amurica who always think of the US as the good guys? I assure you, that isn't the case in any other country looking at it from the outside.

Are there really lots of people in Amurica who always think of the US as the good guys? I assure you, that isn't the case in any other country looking at it from the outside.
Yes, but the Good Guys know we're the good guys, not only in spite of the world's Marxist-commie-pinko-fag opinions,but TO SPITE the MCPFs'* opinions.

*And probably Stalinist, atheist, left-handed hippies.

USA! USA! USA!

Well, I think so. Ran across a global poll somewhere on the Internets where the majority would prefer the US as the sole super power, rather than Russia or China. Someone's got to take the spot, who da you like?

Well, I think so. Ran across a global poll somewhere on the Internets where the majority would prefer the US as the sole super power, rather than Russia or China. Someone's got to take the spot, who da you like?

Antarctica. The penguins will rule all eventually. Just you wait and see.

Reactions: WAB
I guess "russians" were right to bomb them then.

My sentiments exactly, barbos. The whole reason the event was included in the game was BECAUSE it was a heinous act of callous disregard for human life, which for the purposes of their war simulation had to be something done by non-Americans in the narrative.

Or because games often change the details of something to avoid tying it to the real world event it's based on.

Or because games often change the details of something to avoid tying it to the real world event it's based on.
How convenient.

How convenient.

It keeps there from being complaints that they didn't get the details right.

Back
Top Bottom