• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Integration problem

I will do it.

First, change to polar coordinates centered on the disk: x = r*cos(a), y = r*sin(a) + 1
Radius: r, angle: a

Substitute into the integrand: x^2+3*y = r^2*cos(a)^2 + 3*(r*sin(a) + 1)

The area integration measure is r*d(r)*d(a) over r = 0 to 1 and a = 0 to 2*pi

First integrate over the radius: (1/4)*cos(a)^2 + sin(a) + (3/2)

Now integrate over the angle: (1/4)*pi + 3/2*(2*pi) = (13/4)*pi

I checked my work with Mathematica.

Calculus 101

You have to find the limits of integration from the intercepts. Find the points where f1() and f2() coincide. Solve for f1() = f2();

You can do a pencil and paper sketch to get a s handle on it.

One method is to subtract one area from the other. A little easier to see is what is the area of y = e^over the line y = 5 for x = 0 to 100?

Sketch a graph of the two on each other. The area of the line is y*x. The integral of e^x is e^hilimit - e^lolimit.

Sketch the functions on graph paper nd count the squares. That is what it reduces to.

... = (13/4)*pi

I checked my work with Mathematica.
It's also helpful to sanity-check this sort of problem by bounding it. Integration is linear, so it's the same problem as these two:

Integrate the function 3y over the circle of radius 1 centered at y=1, x=0.

Integrate the function x^2 over the circle of radius 1 centered at y=1, x=0.

The first problem is simply the volume of a cylinder with a diagonal upper surface, z=0 at (0,0) and z=6 at (0,2). The slant of the upper surface has no effect on the volume since the extra volume at y>1 exactly cancels the missing volume at y < 1, so this is simply the volume of a cylinder with radius 1 and height 3, that is, 3 pi.

The second problem is the volume of a cylinder with a parabolic slice taken out, with maximum height 1 at (-1,1) and (1,1). So its volume has to be between 0 and pi. So the answer to the original problem must be somewhere between 3 pi and 4 pi.

Wait, it's 2D integral?
over a circle means a line.

Regardless, since I integrated over a circle (1D) and it is Pi*(6*r + r^3). all I need to do is to integrate over radius [0,1]
which is Pi*(3+1./4)

You should have said "inside a circle" instead of "over a circle", or "over a disk"

Wait, it's 2D integral?
over a circle means a line.

Regardless, since I integrated over a circle (1D) and it is Pi*(6*r + r^3). all I need to do is to integrate over radius [0,1]
which is Pi*(3+1./4)

You should have said "inside a circle" instead of "over a circle", or "over a disk"

Yes. Disk. My bad.

Back
Top Bottom