• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is a vaccine mandate a racist policy?

Metaphor

Banned
Banned
In Ibram X. Kendi's America, any policy that results in (increasing) race inequality is racist, and any policy that reduces race inequality is anti-racist.

In America, white people are 1.2 times more likely than black people to have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. The gap could narrow but perhaps will never go away. So, if America institutes vaccine mandates that limit access to employment and public life for the unvaccinated, wouldn't that be a racist policy?

I'd ask Kendi directly but he isn't taking my calls.

If blacks have less access to the vaccine than whites, then yes. If the disparity between vaccinations is due to pig-headed stupidity, then no. Considering all relevant data suggests that the main demographic of Americans who refuse the vaccine despite it being readily available where they live is white Republicans, it's a safe bet where this lies.

If blacks have less access to the vaccine than whites, then yes. If the disparity between vaccinations is due to pig-headed stupidity, then no. Considering all relevant data suggests that the main demographic of Americans who refuse the vaccine despite it being readily available where they live is white Republicans, it's a safe bet where this lies.

So: no, it is not racist that black people are more likely to be subject to the penalties of a vaccine mandate, because black people had equal opportunity to get it?

So: no, it is not racist that black people are more likely to be subject to the penalties of a vaccine mandate, because black people had equal opportunity to get it?

Have they?

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/vacci...color-due-hesitancy-experts/story?id=77272753

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...ng-the-covid-19-vaccine-no-its-not-hesitancy/

Have they?

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/vacci...color-due-hesitancy-experts/story?id=77272753

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...ng-the-covid-19-vaccine-no-its-not-hesitancy/

So....they did not have equal opportunity to get it, and therefore a vaccine mandate is racist?

replace gays and blood transfusion patients with whites and minorities.

In Ibram X. Kendi's America, any policy that results in (increasing) race inequality is racist, and any policy that reduces race inequality is anti-racist.

In America, white people are 1.2 times more likely than black people to have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. The gap could narrow but perhaps will never go away. So, if America institutes vaccine mandates that limit access to employment and public life for the unvaccinated, wouldn't that be a racist policy?

No, it isn't racist. The existence of disparity doesn't prove much of anything. I'm confident that the main problem is socio-economic. Additionally, black people have an historic reason to mistrust any treatments at all "experimental". In the modern world, I consider that a bit irrational. But there are reasons for that attitude and people have irrational attitudes all the time.
Tom

With regard to the thread title: No, vaccine mandates are not racist.

Then why are you asking us? None of us is Kendi, and I don't think anyone here has advocated for the thing you say Kendi wrote about (but for some reason did not quote directly). If they did, but I missed it, please quote them, and ask them about it.

Yes, yes. The mandates are little lockdowns, kind of a reverse quarantine.
The media is full up on Luddite Trumpists putting bleach in nebulizers so we SAY we need you to prove you're not terribly likely to be horribly lethal, or GTFO. But secretly, we want a sciencey sounding reason to keep minorities out.

Yeah, he's cracked the code. Or at least cracked.

So do you support a vaccine mandate in America, despite the systemic barriers to black people getting vaccinated?

With regard to the thread title: No, vaccine mandates are not racist.

Then why are you asking us? None of us is Kendi, and I don't think anyone here has advocated for the thing you say Kendi wrote about (but for some reason did not quote directly). If they did, but I missed it, please quote them, and ask them about it.

It was a little bit of humour, but I'll phrase the question more directly.

If black people in America have had systemic issues preventing them from being vaccinated at the same level as white people, doesn't a vaccine mandate disproportionately affect black people negatively?

If you can get to a job you can get to a shot.

On the other hand, I would have no problem with the government saying that if you are going to mandate the vaccine that you must either provide on-site vaccination or provide time & transportation on the clock to a vaccination site.

I'm sensing kind of an ongoing theme here. Black people can't get IDs (so voter ID laws are a no-go), can't (or don't know how to) get on the internet and can't get to vaccination sites. And live in food deserts. All while living in predominantly Democrat controlled communities. So, remind me again why Democrats are black folks' best friends? :p

The 538 piece was published in March, when the vaccine was tough to get for anybody. However, big cities (that have a high concentration of black people) had mass vaccination sites early. For example, Atlanta had a mass site at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium downtown. So I am not buying their arguments. If anything, a black person living in inner city Atlanta had an easier time getting a vaccine close to them than a white person living in Canton or something.

If. If the disparity between vaccinations is due to pig-headed stupidity, then no. .
So if one race is smarter or more educated than the other, the government should not interfere with that result? Are you against affirmative action too.?

Yeah, sure. That's the issue. You've nailed it.

So do you support a vaccine mandate in America, despite the systemic barriers to black people getting vaccinated?

In the West, and especially the US, to persuade it is increasingly important to frame an issue as harmful to black people. Voter ID is an good example. Democrats want to do away with voter ID by asserting that black people are too stupid to know how to get an ID; when, of course, black people have no problems getting IDs. So the best strategy to get rid of vaccine mandates is to paint black people as victims of the policy.

I'm sensing kind of an ongoing theme here. Black people can't get IDs (so voter ID laws are a no-go), can't (or don't know how to) get on the internet and can't get to vaccination sites. And live in food deserts. All while living in predominantly Democrat controlled communities. So, remind me again why Democrats are black folks' best friends? :p
Especially when it’s been so clear that Republicans would treat them so so much better? It’s truly a wonder!!

/s. <— methinks I need this more in my posts.

Back
Top Bottom