• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is it foolish to call God, “Father”?

So Jesus' death wasn't "legal" in your view. But, again, it wasn't really a death anyway.

Scriptures still say that we are to pay our own way and not take an immoral free ride on a human sacrifice.
Cool. But maybe the symbolism of ego-effacing change (or "sacrifice") is instructional in that endeavor.

I'm not Christian and am not invested in this particular story. I'm just knocking the literal-minded horror at a myth that has a sorta-kinda "death" in it.

I hear you. My focus is the right wing as they do the most damage.

Non-literal readers I can reason with. The right wing, not often.

"But maybe the symbolism of ego-effacing change (or "sacrifice") is instructional in that endeavor."

It is if you do as scriptures has Jesus saying, --- pick up our crosses and follow him.

Most Christians ignore that for their free ride into heaven on their scapegoat Jesus.

Regards
DL

Yes, it's still manipulation, even if the intention was to do good.

Yes, it is. And also I've noticed a lot of what parents do, even without religion, is manipulative, such as, "Your mom made it just for you and now you won't eat it :(". I figure it helps form empathy and gratitude (and nutrition all the while).

As a rule, I try not to manipulate my children. As a rule, children do try and manipulate their parents, as they don't know better. Nevertheless, there are degrees. The slight guilt ribbing given a child to induce them to eat their meal isn't the same as trying to replace a flesh and blood parental relationship with a pie in the sky spiritual version. It's a misguided attempt to alleviate pain and grief by ignoring reality and pretending to know things one doesn't actually know. The religious do this as a matter of course when a loved one dies, insisting they will see them again in heaven.

There may have been a time when we as humanity needed these psychological tricks to keep moving forward in our own lives, I don't know. Nowadays, many of us have the emotional and intellectual courage, stamina and depth to deal with the problems on their own merits. I doubt that in the long run going into a state of denial about the challenges of life is good for the human psyche, and I think collectively we have to get our heads out of our own asses simply because it allows us to ignore the bad things in life. While it may for a time provide some emotional comfort and false courage because one can try to admit the problem no longer exists because they can't see it, they also miss the benefits that come from working through those challenges. Religion doesn't just stunt intellectual and technological progress, it also stunts emotional growth and well being in many cases.

It's also important to keep in mind that even if it worked for you, it may not work for others. This is why psychologists tailor their treatment plan to the individual. Religion likes to assume the role of the psychologists for billions while not having the education to do so. This causes as much harm if not more than the good it spreads.

Back
Top Bottom