• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Keeping the fraud alive

Imnotspecial

Basic Beliefs
Atheist/Humanist
First thing this morning I caught this, perhaps from a minister, about the death of a (possibly) missionary from Ebola: "This is not God's failing; God's plans are greater than our pain".
Obviously this guy is not in pain to come up with such glibness. Why can't he just acknowledge that bad things happen at random. Also the presumption that there are plans that God has for humanity or even us as individuals. If there were plans, should we not by now have been able to discern patterns?
I am obviously frustrated by this total avoidance of reality, just to keep the scam alive.

It's name dropping.

Oh, your husband makes movies.

Well I'm good friends with the creator of the universe.

And to prove your good friendship you don't say that things are chaotic and we are lucky for every day not in pain. You say that even the pain is part of some plan.

Well, god's actions must be completely indistinguishable from a godless universe, or from a universe under the control of an arbitrary, pitiless deity with no attention span.

We cannot know why God does anythingdoesn't do a fucking thing, but trust me, he's got his divine reasons.

So they argue from ignorance and from faith.
But i repeat myself.

First thing this morning I caught this, perhaps from a minister, about the death of a (possibly) missionary from Ebola: "This is not God's failing; God's plans are greater than our pain".
Obviously this guy is not in pain to come up with such glibness. Why can't he just acknowledge that bad things happen at random. Also the presumption that there are plans that God has for humanity or even us as individuals. If there were plans, should we not by now have been able to discern patterns?
I am obviously frustrated by this total avoidance of reality, just to keep the scam alive.

Why would God create ebola anyway? Or HIV, drug resistant tuberculosis, bird flu, MERS, dengue fever, malaria, or 1001 other deadly bacteria, viruses and diseases. God is a rather nasty intelligent designer.

Why would God create ebola anyway? Or HIV, drug resistant tuberculosis, bird flu, MERS, dengue fever, malaria, or 1001 other deadly bacteria, viruses and diseases. God is a rather nasty intelligent designer.
When it created those things they were harmless happy organisms peacefully living in paradise with their god created fellow organisms.

Then we disobeyed god and the shark started using its teeth to kill and eat other creatures instead of happily grazing on kelp. The tyrannosaur used to use its teeth to eat coconuts but now it started eating flesh. Getting the picture? It's all our fault. God is blameless in this one.

Thus sayeth the psychotics.

We see the World through the filter of our limitations, social and religious conditioning, the desire for security and meaning, etc, etc ....

We see the World through the filter of our limitations, social and religious conditioning, the desire for security and meaning, etc, etc ....

Yup. All humans, us included, will have various psychological biases that steer our thinking in irrational directions. Religion unfortunately happens to be a HUGE social construction that inflates certain of those biases, and has done so for so much of human history, with a variety of consequences, some very devastating.

Brian

Plan is an incredibly powerful four letter word, it serves to give everything meaning, and purpose. And it avoids the nasty little question:

Why does a tri-omni god need a plan?

When it created those things they were harmless happy organisms peacefully living in paradise with their god created fellow organisms.

Then we disobeyed god and the shark started using its teeth to kill and eat other creatures instead of happily grazing on kelp. The tyrannosaur used to use its teeth to eat coconuts but now it started eating flesh. Getting the picture? It's all our fault. God is blameless in this one.

I couldn't get back home; it was too far and turning cold; but I found some tigers and nestled in among them and was most adorably comfortable, and their breath was sweet and pleasant, because they live on strawberries. I had never seen a tiger before, but I knew them in a minute by the stripes. If I could have one of those skins, it would make a lovely gown.

http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/mtwain/bl-mtwain-evedi.htm

It's just confirmation bias taken to a bit of an extreme.

When something good happens to someone, that is proof that God exists. When something bad happens, that is proof that God exists.

In his mind, connecting sad events to God helps people emotionally cope, so by making this incredibly bad argument, he is helping people with the Truth of God.

Yeah, it's stupid, but it's not as if it was meant to be malicious.

"This is not God's failing; God's plans are greater than our pain".

This preacher's God ain't much of a God. Any God worth its salt could accomplish its plans without pain.

Or require such a lossy process to get the "cheerleaders for eternity" that was, apparently the central reason for creation.

Back
Top Bottom