• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Leaving woke culture and God

I live in a place where there is a large First Nation population. I often hear from those who oppose any govt help offered to them, “White people didn’t ruin their culture, there was war and slavery before we got here”

That’s truly a statement guided by motivated reasoning.

I live in a place where there is a large First Nation population. I often hear from those who oppose any govt help offered to them, “White people didn’t ruin their culture, there was war and slavery before we got here”

That’s truly a statement guided by motivated reasoning.

But isn't this a problem of thinking in dichotomies? People influenced by Rousseau thinks that Native American life was a utopian life free from strife and living in harmony with nature. Then they learn that nope, Native Americans sucked about as much as Europeans when it comes to caring about the environment and treating each other with respect. So then they switch to thinking that Native Americans deserved being wiped out. A black and white way of thinking about it.

That's my impression of how the thinking goes about this. What do you think?

You are right as long as we ignore several years of his racist posts.

First, I'm not familiar with the details of his posting record.
You have been here since 2006... and don't know? I can't help you with that.
However, I am familiar with the fact that, in this forum, unwarranted accusations of racism are commonplace.
And I haven't often gone there myself, but apparently you aren't aware of my posting either.
In light of that, I'm not going to take your claim as strong evidence. Now it might be true, for all I know. But it might as well not be so.
Well, you can cite ignorance all you want, repoman's position on this is pretty clear.

Jimmy Higgins said:
You have been here since 2006... and don't know? I can't help you with that.
I don't have time to follow every poster in detail, so I am selective, and choose what to read depending on my interests.

Jimmy Higgins said:
And I haven't often gone there myself, but apparently you aren't aware of my posting either.
Not in detail, but in general.

Jimmy Higgins said:
Well, you can cite ignorance all you want, repoman's position on this is pretty clear.
First, after spending a reasonable amount of time reading his posts, I have not found evidence that he believes that black people are inferior. He seems to have a problem with Jews, though as far as I can tell I may well be based on culture rather than genes. But if you are familiar with the posts, pleast post relevant links. I'm not going to read them all.

Second, assuming he believes Black people are inferior, that still would not provide significant support the interpretation you make of his post. Again, remember you first assume that he is making fun of black people and saying that they are inferior, and then you further assume that he's not making sense because white evangelicals who proselytized in Africa came up with it (well, they did not, as they too were indoctrinated, but regardless, let's say because some white person came up with it). So, you are picking not only the interpretation that is among the worst for him in re: race (i.e., that he is mocking black people as inferior), but even an interpretation under which what he is saying does not seem to make any sense. Have you consider the possibility that maybe the reason that it is so hilarious to you that he would use this example is that he did not mean to say what you think he meant to say?

Back
Top Bottom