• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Leprechauns, Pechs, Picts and Lost Races

Potoooooooo

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
http://frontiersofzoology.blogspot.com/2011/03/leprechauns-pechs-picts-and-lost-races.html
I had to pick a good one for my first post here:tonguea:
leprechaun-bottomsup_1391480669.gif

I mean that, although the term "henge" is derived from the name "Stonehenge", Stonehenge doesn't actually fit the criteria of a true henge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henge said:
Etymology

The word henge is a backformation from Stonehenge, the famous monument in Wiltshire.[4] Stonehenge is not a true henge as its ditch runs outside its bank, although there is a small extant external bank as well. The term was first coined in 1932 by Thomas Kendrick, who later became the Keeper of British Antiquities at the British Museum.[5][6]

There's another definition, which was cited once on QI, by which all true henges are constructed from wood. Again, Stonehenge fails this test.

Now ask me why he's not really a Pict. :D

I find the article a bit odd. The Picts, on all the evidence, were just ordinary British people who spoke a slightly archaic dialect of British, and the Cymry are simply the British 'fellow-countrymen' who didn't choose to accept rule by the invading German minority, and is our word for 'Welsh' people. What it has to do with the Irish, God knows. In British ('Welsh' folk-lore) the tylwyth teg, the 'fair family' were only a bit smaller than normal people, but lived in a timeless world, which could get you very muddled if you wandered into it. They would also, if in a good mood, clean up farmhouse kitchens in return for a little food. I think they were more likely to be just an (other-dimensional?) alternative universe than an earlier people. Ice ages are not kind to early people, and the British arrived with the end of the last one.

I mean that, although the term "henge" is derived from the name "Stonehenge", Stonehenge doesn't actually fit the criteria of a true henge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henge said:
Etymology

The word henge is a backformation from Stonehenge, the famous monument in Wiltshire.[4] Stonehenge is not a true henge as its ditch runs outside its bank, although there is a small extant external bank as well. The term was first coined in 1932 by Thomas Kendrick, who later became the Keeper of British Antiquities at the British Museum.[5][6]

There's another definition, which was cited once on QI, by which all true henges are constructed from wood. Again, Stonehenge fails this test.

QI's researchers often get things wrong in ways that have nothing to do with making with the funny.

There goes my major source of information :(.

QI's researchers often get things wrong in ways that have nothing to do with making with the funny.

There goes my major source of information :(.

But ... but ... but I cited wikipedia too!!! Surely you're not going to tell me wikipedia isn't reliable!?!

Back
Top Bottom