• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Less obvious stuff to do in Chicago

rousseau

Contributor
Looks like my wife and I are going to be in Chicago from the 15th to the 18th of August (first anniversary).

Anyone have any recommendations beyond the major stuff?

ETA: also.. food or restaurant recommendations would be nice too

Last edited:
Do you like Chicago style blues? There are still plenty of small venues for that. Some may be located in sketchy neighborhoods however.

Not off the beaten path at all, but the Field Museum of Nat Hist is a must. I remember seeing Burgess Shale fossils there.

Let's wait for OWIP and other Chicago residents to show up on the thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Architectural walking tour.

Yes that reminds me we did a walking tour of the FL Wright houses in Oak Park.

Do you like Chicago style blues? There are still plenty of small venues for that. Some may be located in sketchy neighborhoods however.

I was thinking music would be a good idea. Any recommendations for venue?

We ended up at the Vanguard in NYC in 2015, which was... yea that was good.

Just stroll around the down town area and see what comes up, whatever happens to be appealing at the time....a kind of spontaneity, I guess.

Be warned, that is the weekend of the annual "air and water show" in Chicago. Planes and very loud Jets will be flying right over downtown Chicago all day Friday (practicing) and Sat and Sun. It's already high tourist season, but that brings another couple million people into downtown, flooding the lakeshore area parks, pier, bars, etc. I realize you doing this for an anniversary, but I'd go a different weekend if at all possible.

For food try street stands and small restaurants r. The local quisling. Ask a cab driver where he eats lunch. Local micro breweries.

If you want to hear authentic live American blues music Chicago is the place to hear the real thing. Ask a cab driver for places.

Try searching

Chicago blues live
Chicago food winsome

Be warned, that is the weekend of the annual "air and water show" in Chicago. Planes and very loud Jets will be flying right over downtown Chicago all day Friday (practicing) and Sat and Sun. It's already high tourist season, but that brings another couple million people into downtown, flooding the lakeshore area parks, pier, bars, etc. I realize you doing this for an anniversary, but I'd go a different weekend if at all possible.

Thanks for the tip, we may have to reconsider timing.

We always enjoyed The Second City Comedy Show

There are a zillion art galleries of assorted flavors scattered across the city & suburbs, if you're into that sort of thing & want to get away from the better-known art museums.

If the weather is nice, how about the Lincoln Park Zoo?

Thanks, my wife loves comedy.

The galleries may also be worth looking into, last time I was in town I visited the Art Institute, but I've been to so many major galleries in the past five years or so I think I'm about done with that for a while.

I spent quite a bit of time exploring Chicago back in the very early 90's on an extended business trip. In addition to the museums mentioned already, there is also the Museum of Science and Industry. Interesting, but the exhibits were rather old and tired and the information outdated. Hopefully, its improved, if its still around. Also, Shedd Aquarium was pretty neat. I thought the Lincoln Park Zoo was a let down. The animals mostly seemed to live in concrete block, barren cages as I remember. Not a natural looking environment at all. Perhaps its been updated since then, though. I do remember the gorilla exhibit where there was one gorilla who absolutely hated one particular zookeeper. His hair would stand erect and he'd start throwing things and making a big commotion every time this particular zookeeper showed. No one could explain why.

If you have a car, then just south and east of the city along the lake is Indiana Dunes National Park. Great hiking and I just love climbing up and then leaping down the hundred-foot dunes.

https://www.nps.gov/indu/index.htm

Dillinger Death Alley, beside the Biograph Theater. I treasure my visit there (along with my visits to the Bonnie & Clyde ambush site near Arcadia, LA., and the Little Bohemia Lodge up in Minnesota (another Dillinger site, co-starring Baby Face Nelson.)

Thanks for all the tips.

However, it looks like we've decided to cancel the trip. More important things to do with our money after we spend an entire month renovating our house this summer.

Back
Top Bottom