• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

London elects first muslim Mayor.

angelo

Deleted
Basic Beliefs
atheist
This week it's the firsts Muslim Mayor. How long will it be befor the first ever Muslim PM is elected?

David Lammy, the Labour MP for Tottenham, suggested that Mr Khan's election as mayor was a pivotal moment in politics.

" If we ever get a prime minister of colour, it will be because of what Sadiq Knan has achieved, " he said.

I've had a Muslim congresscritter for several years and yet he has still to deliver on Shaira Law. Yes he whips up a good hot dish and all, but in all that time not a single beheading or public flogging of apostates!

I've had a Muslim congresscritter for several years and yet he has still to deliver on Shaira Law. Yes he whips up a good hot dish and all, but in all that time not a single beheading or public flogging of apostates!

We have an even bigger problem in the UK. We have several Muslim councillors and some MPs but not one stoning, beheading or flogging of anyone.

We have an even bigger problem in the UK. We have several Muslim councillors and some MPs but not one stoning, beheading or flogging of anyone.

You do have Subways that have gone halal only though.
subway-halal-thumb-e1398890734954.jpg

Also, Khan is an anti-police lawyer. He'd be objectionable even if he weren't a Muslim.

Also, Khan is an anti-police lawyer. He'd be objectionable even if he weren't a Muslim.
Even if he weren't a Muslim?

And you had some buses that went BOOOOOOOM!! I seem to remember. Or was that just Islamophobic propaganda?

The left doesn't particularly like Islam, but it likes even less people who pass judgement on others solely on the basis of those persons personal beliefs instead of on what they actually do or have done.

Come back to us when Sadiq Khan actually does something harmful to non-Muslims and you might get an audience. Until then, all you have is your prejudice.

Illiberal is also judging someone by their religious affiliation.

Why can't we judge based on religious affiliation? Religious affiliation is shorthand for a number of beliefs and positions that we would otherwise feel ok judging on, no? I can't conclude a whole lot just by knowing somebody is "Muslim" or "Christian", but I can pretty confidently conclude a little, and I can conclude more and more the more specific the denomination or subset of these religions they are identified as being.

Why can't we judge based on religious affiliation? Religious affiliation is shorthand for a number of beliefs and positions that we would otherwise feel ok judging on, no? I can't conclude a whole lot just by knowing somebody is "Muslim" or "Christian", but I can pretty confidently conclude a little, and I can conclude more and more the more specific the denomination or subset of these religions they are identified as being.

Most Westerners lack sufficient context for distinguishing the various flavors of Islam.

Whereas I can easily calibrate my expectations of a person's likely outlook and opinion on a number of subjects just by knowing whether he's a Southern Baptist or a Unitarian, I have no such facility for Sunni/Shia/Sufi/etc.

Illiberal is also judging someone by their religious affiliation.

Why can't we judge based on religious affiliation?
No one said you could not.
Religious affiliation is shorthand for a number of beliefs and positions that we would otherwise feel ok judging on, no?
No. There is a wide variety of "Muslim" or "Christian" etc.... even within their denominations.
I can't conclude a whole lot just by knowing somebody is "Muslim" or "Christian", but I can pretty confidently conclude a little, and I can conclude more and more the more specific the denomination or subset of these religions they are identified as being.
Right, you cannot conclude a whole lot, so why bother?

There are many who only a short time ago swore black and blue that no muslim would ever get to hold a high office in Great Britain.
Care to retract that statement?

Back
Top Bottom