• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Loss of taste due to radioiodine therapy

Koyaanisqatsi

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Spiritual atheist
My 82 year old mother had minor thyroid cancer treated with radioiodine therapy that has evidently left her with no sense of taste. I've done some research and know that it's typically temporary, but sometimes not and she's beyond the typical two month outlier. Has anyone else had experience with this and if so can you suggest anything I can get her to try to help? I understand miracle fruit can sometimes help and she lives in Oregon (pot legal), so I was thinking something in that vein, but I'm looking for something more along the lines of permanently regenerating her taste buds, which evidently is connected to Wnt/β-catenin signaling. The problem being, I don't know what the fuck that means or how it could be done outside of a lab (and not on mice).

Anyone? Thanks.

My 82 year old mother had minor thyroid cancer treated with radioiodine therapy that has evidently left her with no sense of taste. I've done some research and know that it's typically temporary, but sometimes not and she's beyond the typical two month outlier. Has anyone else had experience with this and if so can you suggest anything I can get her to try to help? I understand miracle fruit can sometimes help and she lives in Oregon (pot legal), so I was thinking something in that vein, but I'm looking for something more along the lines of permanently regenerating her taste buds, which evidently is connected to Wnt/β-catenin signaling. The problem being, I don't know what the fuck that means or how it could be done outside of a lab (and not on mice).

Anyone? Thanks.

You piqued my interest because my wife had such treatment as did a couple friends. But among those there was no loss of taste sensation. It may be an age thing because the sense of taste gradually diminishes with age anyway. What I read says it can continue to change after treatment for up to a year.

I'm sure you did the standard google search so I won't bore you with other info.

Back
Top Bottom