• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

macOS 12 Monterey has just been released

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
Basic Beliefs
Probably in a simulation
macOS 12 Monterey was released in late October 2021 and I'm downloading it now. It looks like macOS 11 ("Big Sur") was released in November 2020.

And Mac OS X has been around since 2001...

I'm glad macOS 12 supports my Late 2014 Mac mini since I'm selling it soon. It would run it very slowly though since it has 4 Gb RAM and can't be upgraded. (I scored 2 Mac minis when I left work a few years ago)

I wonder if Windows will also jump to version 12 while hanging out at version 10 for ages....

I installed it. I first did a backup of my computer's disk. I have two disk drives, and I use Time Machine.

Then I installed it. It took a couple of hours of watching an unlabeled progress bar restart a few times. But I eventually got a time estimate below it, and that means that it would soon finish. Which it did.

So far, it's worked well, much like Big Sur.

I wonder if 11 months is the shortest OS release ever (for version 11). I wonder if they're trying to not get confused with Windows 11.... or seem more advanced than Windows 11....
I used Time Machine too which can be a life saver

BTW macOS 11 and 12 support ARM (M1, etc) and Intel.... then I guess they'll phase out support for Intel eventually....

Apple has done a lot of transitions over its history, and done them with a remarkable degree of backward compatibility. apple-history.com / specs for every apple computer, established 1996 and lots of Wikipedia articles.

The company started off in 1976 with the Apple I, a circuit board instead of a complete computer. It was succeeded by the Apple II in 1977, and by the Apple III in 1980. The Apple III was not very successful, and Apple discontinued it in 1984. The Apple II was more successful, and Apple made several successors: II+, IIe, IIc, IIgs, IIc+, ending in 1993. Apple introduced its Lisa (Apple IV?) in 1983, and it lasted until 1986.

Apple's first Macintosh (Apple V?) was introduced in 1984, and it was very primitive by present-day standards. It had a Motorola 68000 CPU, 128 kibibytes of memory, and a 512*342 1-bit display. Its OS was very limited: it could only do single-tasking of full-scale apps. Apple soon released a successor with more memory: 512 K.

The last OS version for the 128K was System 3.2/Finder 5.3 in 1986, and for the 512K was System 4.1/Finder 5.5 in 1987.

A curious limitation of the original MacOS was having only a 24-bit memory space, despite it running on a 32-bit CPU. The upper byte was used for its memory-allocation system.

Apple's Mac Plus was introduced in 1986, and its last OS was System 7.5.5 in 1996. That was also true of the Mac II and SE of 1987, the IIx of 1988, and the SE/30, IIcx, IIci, and others of 1989. The Mac II had a Moto 68020 CPU and a color-capable video card, and the IIx had a Moto 68030 CPU.

Apple's Mac IIfx and IIsi were released in 1990, and their last OS was System 7.6.1 in 1997.

Apple's Quadra family was released over 1991 - 1993, it used a Moto 68040 CPU, and some of it could use as much as 256 M RAM. Their last OS was MacOS 8.1 in 1998.

Back to the OS, System 4.1, in 1987 introduced color support in Quickdraw, the graphics layer of the OS.

System 5, also in 1987, introduced the MultiFinder, a feature that let it run several apps at once. But the apps ran with cooperative multitasking, meaning that each app had to give up control to let the others run. That happened more-or-less automatically when the app called an OS function to see what was happening: what keypress, what mouse click or drag, what menu-item selection or button press, etc. So an app could hog the CPU by not calling an OS function. Also, each app had its own partition of the computer's memory, along with the OS stuff; they all lived in one memory space.

System 7, in 1991, had a big jump in possible memory size, from 24-bit memory to 32-bit memory, from 16 M to 4 gibibytes. Apps that could use the full 32 bits of memory space were tagged as "32-bit clean", and they ran alongside older apps.

So MacOS Classic went from single-tasking to multitasking, from 1-bit to full color, and from 24-bit to 32-bit memory addressing.

Last edited:
Then in 1994, Apple introduced its first Macs with PowerPC chips. But the MacOS and all existing apps for it were written for Motorola 68K chips. So Apple included in the MacOS an emulator that could run 68K code. Apple also rewrote some of the MacOS to be PowerPC-native, but to the end of the OS's days, some of it stayed in 68K form, run by the OS's 68K emulator.

The first PowerPC Macs, PowerMacs, came out that year, using the PowerPC 601 chip, and their last OS was MacOS 9.1 in 2001.

Apple tried to develop a successor for MacOS Classic, but its effort, "Copland", was a miserable flop. It was originally an OS kernel and file system, but it suffered feature creep as Apple OS developers added feature after feature to their wish list for it. But they did so without ensuring that the OS worked well. It ran OS Classic in an app called the "Blue Box", and every app's GUI parts were also to run in the Blue Box. Apple developed a complicated system for apps to run parts of themselves outside of the Blue Box to do a lot of computing or networking or whatever might hog the CPU.

By 1996, it was evident that Copland was a flop, and Apple looked elsewhere. Sun's OS Solaris? Microsoft's Windows NT? Jean-Louis Gassee's BeOS?, Steve Jobs's NeXTStep?

Steve Jobs was forced out of Apple in 1985 because he was so unpleasant, despite being a great visionary. He founded a computer company called NeXT, because of his hope that it would be "the next big thing". But it wasn't. Its NeXT Cube was a flop. The company made some other computers, but they didn't sell very well either. So his company decided to sell only the OS, NeXTStep, and then the GUI shell, OpenStep, but by the mid-1990's, the company was struggling.

JLG left apple a bit later, and he also founded a computer company, Be, Inc. He started out in the early 1990's with a computer called the BeBox that used PowerPC CPU chips. Though much cheaper than the NeXT Cube, it never sold very well, and JLG switched to offering its OS, the BeOS, on Macintosh hardware.

When Apple wanted to use the BeOS, JLG demanded a high price. In his mind, Apple's management should have to pay for running their company so ineptly.

In the end, Apple decided on NeXT, and Steve Jobs returned to the company that he helped found. SJ and his fellow NeXTians then did a sort of coup from inside, pushing out Apple's top management.

Apple introduced PowerMacs with PPC 603 and 604 chips over 1995 to 1997, and their last OS was also MacOS 9.1. They then released PowerMacs with PPC 750 "G3" chips in 1997, and their last OS was MacOS 10.2.8 Jaguar, in 2003.

Then the first iMacs, also with G3 chips, in 1998, and their last OS was MacOS 10.3.9 Panther, in 2005.

In 1999, the iMac DV/SE was released, with the G3 chip, and also PowerMacs with PPC 7400 "G4" chips. Their last OS was MacOS 10.4.11 Tiger, in 2007.

The 2000 Macs had the same last OS, but in 2001, Apple released its PowerMac G4 "Quicksilver" with a PPC 7450 G4 chip. Its last OS was MacOS 10.5.8 Leopard, in 2009.

Releases from 2002 to 2005 also had that last OS, because that was the last Apple OS that would run on PowerPC chips.

Now to the OS. Apple's OS designers got NeXT's OS NeXTStep, but they had to do a lot of work on it before they were satisfied that it would be ready for release. Along the way, they renamed it MacOS X, and MacOS 9 would be the last release of MacOS Classic. They renamed the app and GUI framework from OpenStep to Cocoa, in honor of another soft-drink app and GUI framework: Java. For MacOS Classic, they decided to do what they did in their Copland days, creating a Cocoa app, the Blue Box, for running it in.

But there was a big problem. Going from Classic to Cocoa was a *huge* jump for app developers. So in the late 1990's, Apple created a transition app and GUI framework: Carbon. An app written for it could run in MacOS Classic or outside the Blue Box in OSX.

OSX was released in 2001, and by 2003, it was preinstalled over the entire Macintosh line. Steve Jobs had a funeral for the OS at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in 2002.

Apple dropped support for Classic in 10.5 Leopard, in 2007.

Around then, Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel-x86 CPU chips, releasing the first Intel Macs in 2006.

The 2006 Mac Mini's and early iMac's last OS were MacOS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, in 2011, and the late iMac's and Mac Pro's were MacOS 10.7.5 Lion, in 2012.

Over 2007 and early 2008, the iMacs' last OS was MacOS 10.11 El Capitan in 2016, skipping over 10.8 Mountain Lion, 10.9 Mavericks, and 10.10 Yosemite.

From late 2008 to mid 2011, the iMacs' last OS was MacOS 10.12 High Sierra in 2018, skipping over 10.11 Sierra.

From late 2012 to late 2013, the iMacs' last OS was MacOS 10.15 Catalina in 2020, skipping over 10.14 Mojave.

From mid 2014 to mid 2015, the iMacs' last OS was MacOS 11 Big Sur in 2021

My iMac is a 2017 model, and either Monterey or the next one is likely to be its last. It's an Intel one, and Apple is not likely to support Intel MacOS for much longer.

In MacOS 10.7 Lion, Apple dropped support for PowerPC apps on Intel chips.

kernel - In which version(s) did macOS transition from 32-bit to 64-bit? - Ask Different

Both Classic MacOS and NeXTStep were 32-bit from their beginnings, and the current MacOS was likewise. The first in the Macintosh line to use a 64-bit chip was the PowerMac G5, introduced in mid-2003. The OS took some time to catch up with it, however, with the first 64-bit support coming in 2005 with 10.4 Tiger, for apps that did not use the GUI libraries.

Cocoa apps could be 64-bit in 10.5 Leopard in 2007, and Apple then supported 32-bit and 64-bit apps side by side.

The OS kernel was originally 32-bit, as one would expect, but by 2009, in 10.6 Snow Leopard, then in 10.7 Lion, it could be either 32-bit or 64-bit . But in 2012, in 10.8 Mountain Lion, the kernel was made 64-bit. But in OSX, it was possible for 32-bit kernels to support 64-bit apps and 64-bit kernels to support 32-bit apps. The main thing affected was kernel extensions (kext's), including drivers. MacOS 10.14 Mojave is the last version to support 32-bit apps.

Now they've released macOS Ventura 13.1 which I'm now downloading...

So the official version of Mac OS X was released in 2001....

macOS 11: 2020
macOS 12: 2021
macOS 13: 2022

Which is weird....

So....
macOS 10: 2001
macOS 11: 2020
macOS 12: 2021
macOS 13: 2022
macOS 14: 2023

It's like iOS with versions changing yearly... though iOS is up to version 17 now....

Back
Top Bottom