• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.
  • 2021 Internet Infidels Fundraising Drive
    Greetings! Time for the annual fundraiser.Sorry for the late update, we normally start this early in October. Funds are needed to keep II and IIDB online. I was not able to get an IIDB based donations addon implemented for this year, I will make sure to have that done for next year. You can help support II in several ways, please visit the Support Us page for more info. Or just click:

I will try to track all donations from IIDB. Many thanks to those that have already donated. The current total is $923. If everyone dontated just $5, we would easily hit our goal.

Major League Baseball

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist
I'm going to get in early and switch things up this year. Instead of creating a new thread each season here's a catch all thread that can continue from season to season..

The way forward looks unclear for Jose Bautista

Encarnacion deal weighs down the Indians

What does the Dodger's dynamic pricing mean for fans?

Milwaukee Brewers moves do not push them past Cubs

Astros: The Window of Contention Shouldn't Close Any Time Soon

Yankees State of the System: Second Base

And here are pictures of Wrigley and PNC:

Wrigley.jpg

[pnc park.jpg

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I just read the article on Dodger "dynamic pricing" and I am disappointed the way things are going. I'm sure the Dodgers aren't the only MLB team doing these shenanigans with ticket prices but going to a Dodger game is just such poor value for money I doubt I will be attending any games this season. I may drive the extra miles and go watch the Angels if I feel like going to a game.

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist
I just read the article on Dodger "dynamic pricing" and I am disappointed the way things are going. I'm sure the Dodgers aren't the only MLB team doing these shenanigans with ticket prices but going to a Dodger game is just such poor value for money I doubt I will be attending any games this season. I may drive the extra miles and go watch the Angels if I feel like going to a game.

It's the same in Toronto for the Raptors and Leafs. I've still never seen an NHL or NBA game live because it's just not worth the price of a ticket and the hassle to get to Toronto and back. Especially when the city I'm in is host to good junior hockey teams and Canada's basketball league. A little hard up for baseball, but our inter-county team will do in a pinch.

Jays games have actually stayed fairly reasonable given the baseball market in Canada, but I've been to so many in the past four years I'm long due for a break.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
It's the same in Toronto for the Raptors and Leafs. I've still never seen an NHL or NBA game live because it's just not worth the price of a ticket and the hassle to get to Toronto and back. Especially when the city I'm in is host to good junior hockey teams and Canada's basketball league. A little hard up for baseball, but our inter-county team will do in a pinch.

Jays games have actually stayed fairly reasonable given the baseball market in Canada, but I've been to so many in the past four years I'm long due for a break.

I sometimes buy Dodger tickets on Vivid seats on game day. You can get decent value for money, usually the ticket price is below face value as a season ticket holder would rather get something for the seat than nothing. I think I will search out a minor league team in the LA area and see if I can't get along to a couple of games. I just don't enjoy the MLB ballpark experience as much as I used to. Way too expensive, parking, beer, food, tickets, it's a small fortune. I'm sure there must be a minor league team near LA to check out.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Dynamic pricing?

NY Yankees site said:
What happens if prices lower after I purchase my tickets?
Tickets are always priced based on current market factors. By utilizing advanced computer pricing software linked to the team's ticketing system, the Yankees may adjust ticket prices based on changing factors that affect market demand. As with all Yankees tickets, all sales are final and non-refundable.

That be a lot of words for "you're fucked".

I saw the Cardinals and Yankees sites both say near equivalent things: "By utilizing advanced computer pricing software linked to the team's ticketing system, the Yankees may adjust ticket prices based on changing factors that affect market demand."

They say it like it is a consumer perk! We utilize algorithms to be able to know how high ticket prices can be and still get away with selling tickets.

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist
Dynamic pricing?

NY Yankees site said:
What happens if prices lower after I purchase my tickets?
Tickets are always priced based on current market factors. By utilizing advanced computer pricing software linked to the team's ticketing system, the Yankees may adjust ticket prices based on changing factors that affect market demand. As with all Yankees tickets, all sales are final and non-refundable.

That be a lot of words for "you're fucked".

I saw the Cardinals and Yankees sites both say near equivalent things: "By utilizing advanced computer pricing software linked to the team's ticketing system, the Yankees may adjust ticket prices based on changing factors that affect market demand."

They say it like it is a consumer perk! We utilize algorithms to be able to know how high ticket prices can be and still get away with selling tickets.

In the last couple years I recall hearing about the Yankees implementing something that kept the ticket prices reasonable, I wonder if they changed systems recently.. struggling to find information.

TV and credit cards

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Chief Wahoo's days are numbered. Our logo will be C. Perhaps I see Chief Wahoo through rose colored glasses but I am saddened. Does anything bring on a wave of nostalgia more than baseball. Chief Wahoo, John Adams and his drum, The Jake, they are all part of that nostalgia. The current iteration of Chief Wahoo is drawn in an innocent manner. Oh well. Progressive Field is still The Jake and Chief Wahoo will still be a part of my Indians. He will die slowly with his baseball fans who love him for what he represents to them, Cleveland Indians baseball and nothing more.

A lousy C.

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist

I sometimes buy Dodger tickets on Vivid seats on game day. You can get decent value for money, usually the ticket price is below face value as a season ticket holder would rather get something for the seat than nothing. I think I will search out a minor league team in the LA area and see if I can't get along to a couple of games. I just don't enjoy the MLB ballpark experience as much as I used to. Way too expensive, parking, beer, food, tickets, it's a small fortune. I'm sure there must be a minor league team near LA to check out.

Agreed. Between the hecklers, people trying to start the wave, high ticket prices, and selfies going around, anymore I'd rather take in a game from my living room with a store-bought beer.

You're lucky you have access to the minors, no such thing in Canada, although the Tigers had a double-A team right here in town in the late eighties and early nineties. To date the best baseball experience I had was similar: spring training in Lakeland last March. Nothing but hard baseball fans interested in watching the game, small, beautiful ballpark, small amount of marketing and theatrics. Just baseball on a nice day.

For similar reasons I wouldn't mind checking out a game at PNC, but who knows when I'll muster the motivation to drive to Pittsburgh.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Agreed. Between the hecklers, people trying to start the wave, high ticket prices, and selfies going around, anymore I'd rather take in a game from my living room with a store-bought beer.

For us in sunny CA, we can sit outside on the patio and watch the game :). I do enjoy that experience. I have a swimming pool and can watch the game while in the pool. The only downside is that sometimes the glare from the sun and white fence can make it difficult to see the picture on the TV. But in the early evenings, it is really nice to sit outside and watch the game.

You're lucky you have access to the minors, no such thing in Canada, although the Tigers had a double-A team right here in town in the late eighties and early nineties. To date the best baseball experience I had was similar: spring training in Lakeland last March. Nothing but hard baseball fans interested in watching the game, small, beautiful ballpark, small amount of marketing and theatrics. Just baseball on a nice day.

That sounds pretty good and I have thought going to a spring training session but the drive puts me off. I think the players interact with the crowd more too.

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist

For us in sunny CA, we can sit outside on the patio and watch the game :). I do enjoy that experience. I have a swimming pool and can watch the game while in the pool. The only downside is that sometimes the glare from the sun and white fence can make it difficult to see the picture on the TV. But in the early evenings, it is really nice to sit outside and watch the game.

That sounds pretty good and I have thought going to a spring training session but the drive puts me off. I think the players interact with the crowd more too.

I'm not really a 'bucket list' kinda guy, but I used the phrase last year when my fiancee wanted to visit Disney World. I figured we'd plan it so I could catch a couple spring training games and the day in Lakeland (Tigers vs Pirates) was one of the best I've had in recent memory.

I paid extra to get in early and watch batting practice at about 10 am, then hung around the park until game time. Joker Marchant was also just re-done so the facility was fantastic. On top of it all I got my hands on an official spring training ball during the Pirates batting practice.

17103451_10154432953922194_1325411104896653152_n.jpg

16939237_10154432953927194_6889670681247751817_n.jpg

17098466_10154430404517194_4527893099849894837_n.jpg

17103355_10154432954252194_2949618670481368836_n.jpg

We also saw a Jays-Braves game at Atlanta's home field in Orlando, but it was the first game of the season so we didn't see any of the Jays starters.

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist
Chief Wahoo's days are numbered. Our logo will be C. Perhaps I see Chief Wahoo through rose colored glasses but I am saddened. Does anything bring on a wave of nostalgia more than baseball. Chief Wahoo, John Adams and his drum, The Jake, they are all part of that nostalgia. The current iteration of Chief Wahoo is drawn in an innocent manner. Oh well. Progressive Field is still The Jake and Chief Wahoo will still be a part of my Indians. He will die slowly with his baseball fans who love him for what he represents to them, Cleveland Indians baseball and nothing more.

A lousy C.

I get it, but hard to tally up the reasons why it's got to go, even if it's mostly benign.

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist
Unrelated to this season.. does anyone know of any good, up to date books or resources on sabermetrics?

I've been wanting to find something that gets pretty heavy on the math/statistical side of the game. I've been reading Moneyball, which is pretty good but less explicitly about stats, and more about the beginnings of the sabermetric era.

As an aside, I've also started reading The Mental Game of Baseball but that's a different thing altogether.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Unrelated to this season.. does anyone know of any good, up to date books or resources on sabermetrics?

I've been wanting to find something that gets pretty heavy on the math/statistical side of the game. I've been reading Moneyball, which is pretty good but less explicitly about stats, and more about the beginnings of the sabermetric era.

I'm sure that sort of stuff is interesting but I personally think that getting into the detail of sabermetrics takes some of the humanity out of the game. I remember years ago a player that was on the San Diego Padres was disheartened by the use of sabermetrics as it would probably have ruled him out of actually being considered as a MLB prospect. I can't remember his name but he was a decent player, he was short. His nickname was "the pest".

I loved the movie Moneyball.

erm, no I don't know any books :eek:

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist

I'm sure that sort of stuff is interesting but I personally think that getting into the detail of sabermetrics takes some of the humanity out of the game. I remember years ago a player that was on the San Diego Padres was disheartened by the use of sabermetrics as it would probably have ruled him out of actually being considered as a MLB prospect. I can't remember his name but he was a decent player, he was short. His nickname was "the pest".

I loved the movie Moneyball.

erm, no I don't know any books :eek:

After reading Moneyball I'm inclined to make the opposite conclusion, sabermetrics have put more humanity in the game.

Prior to the sabermetric era scouts often chose players based on arbitrary criteria like their appearance or body shape, or any other plain prejudice or bias. After the sabermetric era scouts and managers had basically just learned how to accurately identify players that are actually good players. And so now you're more likely to make the majors due to your skill level, and not something else.

I can see it being a bit disheartening having your every move run through statistical analysis, but I don't know that this is any worse than being eyed up by a prejudiced scout with no ability to identify talent.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
After reading Moneyball I'm inclined to make the opposite conclusion, sabermetrics have put more humanity in the game.

Prior to the sabermetric era scouts often chose players based on arbitrary criteria like their appearance or body shape, or any other plain prejudice or bias. After the sabermetric era scouts and managers had basically just learned how to accurately identify players that are actually good players. And so now you're more likely to make the majors due to your skill level, and not something else.

I can see it being a bit disheartening having your every move run through statistical analysis, but I don't know that this is any worse than being eyed up by a prejudiced scout with no ability to identify talent.

I didn't read the book Moneyball but I did watch the movie and I do remember there was an emphasis on Billy Bean's disdain for the scouts after his own experiences as a prospect. I'm sure sabermetrics is an invaluable tool for the managers. I really enjoyed the movie Moneyball but I doubt I will ever read the book. My favorite scene in the movie is where Billy Bean and Scott Washington are trying to convince Scott Hatteberg to sign as a first baseman, a position the catcher has never played. .

Billy: Playing first base is not that hard, tell him Wash.

Washington: It's incredibly hard.

And last season I was watching a game and the commentators were jabbering on about a scout that spotted good players by the size of their hands. They were banging on about it for quite a while.

Anyway, spring training has started !! Catchers and pitchers started this week !!

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist
I lost track of time and it turns out spring training games are now underway. Most welcome news. Tigers/Yankees will be accompanying me this afternoon.

I fell off the wagon last year and didn't watch much until late season, but hope to change that this year. Although MLB will be competing with the NHL for a while.

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I don't pay much attention to baseball. I know Cleveland tied a record for most wins in a row and then bowed out to the Yankees, who decided to Reggie Jackson it up for the playoffs.

Did Cleveland survive the off-season signing stuff they needed to deal with?

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I don't want Facebook encroaching on my life.

Surely it's just a joint agreement to get MLB.TV some advertising, and Facebook some relevant content, though, no?

I can't see Facebook ever getting exclusive rights to anything. Or am I missing your point?

In view of Facebook's recent activities, I hope the MLB will reconsider this arrangement.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I don't want Facebook encroaching on my life.

Surely it's just a joint agreement to get MLB.TV some advertising, and Facebook some relevant content, though, no?

I can't see Facebook ever getting exclusive rights to anything. Or am I missing your point?

In view of Facebook's recent activities, I hope the MLB will reconsider this arrangement.
Pfft, shows what you know.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxszN_1k6fQ[/YOUTUBE]

Shake

Basic Beliefs
agnostic atheistic humanist
A couple of random things here ...

First off, an interesting article about Ichiro Suzuki, written shortly before it was announced that he'd be returning again this year.

Then, I've been to about 16 or 17 MLB parks now. The wife and I long ago set out to visit them all, but that ground to a near halt after having our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th children. The park in Pittsburgh is really nice, no bad seats and feels quite intimate (the picture in the OP inspired me to post about it).

Finally, go Yankees!

whollygoats

Banned
Basic Beliefs
Militant Agnostic...aka functional Atheist
I have this to say about major league baseball....At least it is more exciting than major league soccer, golf, bowling, and NASCAR.

Yeah, I know....Low bars, all.

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist
I have this to say about major league baseball....At least it is more exciting than major league soccer, golf, bowling, and NASCAR.

Yeah, I know....Low bars, all.

The MLB season is a gradient. The only thing more boring than April baseball is spring training, unless you're a retiree in Florida. But then this turns into the late-season playoff race, the playoffs, and finally the fiery eruption of the World Series.

I don't pay much attention early on in the season, but when I do it's more about a lazy Saturday afternoon with a beer and game in the background than guns blazing. Or when I make it out to Roger's Centre it's the atmosphere, hot-dogs, beer, and sun.

whollygoats

Banned
Basic Beliefs
Militant Agnostic...aka functional Atheist
Oh...It's also NOT cricket.

Cricket is incomprehensible to me.

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist
Article by FiveThirtyEight:

We X-Rayed Some MLB Baseballs. Here’s What We Found

Asked about these findings, MLB noted that it had commissioned a group of scientists and statisticians to investigate any changes to the ball, and that the committee would issue a report on its research soon. According to Alan Nathan, one of the physicists on the commission, the task force found that all the characteristics that MLB regularly measures, including the weight, circumference, seam height and bounciness of the ball, were within ranges that meant variations in the baseballs were unlikely to significantly affect home run rates. MLB declined to provide the data supporting these assertions.

Independent investigations by FiveThirtyEight, publications like The Ringer, and Nathan himself have shown differences in the characteristics of the ball and the way it performs. Research has shown that balls used in games after the 2015 All-Star Game were bouncier and less air resistant compared with baseballs from the 2014 season, when players hit a relatively modest 4,186 homers, the fewest since 1995. (Nathan noted that MLB does not regularly measure air resistance.) Taken together, these changes would result in a ball that would come off the bat at a higher speed and carry farther. While investigations have been able to show that the baseball behaves differently in recent years, no one had looked inside the ball to see if there was evidence of changes to the way the baseball is constructed.

When comparing the new and old groups, however, there was a clear difference in the density of the core.

Dr. Law’s team isolated the density difference to the outer (pink) layer of the core, which was, on average, about 40 percent less dense in the new group of balls.

It may not seem obvious, but these slight changes in the chemical composition of the core could have an impact on how the balls played once they were sewn up and shipped to major league teams.

But the timing of these changes to the weight and density of the core coincides with a much larger boost to the bounciness of the baseball. According to a previous analysis performed by The Ringer, that increase in bounciness alone would add around 0.6 mph to the speed of the ball as it leaves the bat and add roughly 3 feet to the travel distance of a fly ball — enough to make the difference between the warning track and the stands.

. . .previous research at FiveThirtyEight showed that they also became less air resistant. The decrease in drag is probably a result of a smaller, slicker baseball with lower seams. The change in air resistance could add an additional 5 feet to the travel distance of a fly ball. Combine all these factors together — a lighter, more compact baseball with tighter seams and more bounce — and the ball could fly as much as 8.6 feet farther. According to Nathan’s calculations, this would lead to a more than 25 percent increase in the number of home runs. Asked whether these changes in combination could have significantly affected the home run rate, MLB declined to comment.

TL;DR the MLB lowered the density of the baseball cores, as well as the air-resistance of it's seams which may have accounted for a 25% increase in home-runs after the 2015 season. Article also mentions that hitting philosophy accounts for some of the difference too.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Wasn't the HR increase seen just in one league, where as the other league it was flat with the previous season and homeruns?

Oddly enough, the numbers have been back and forth since 2000. First column is AL, second is NL, third is MLB.

[SIZE=-1]2,688[/SIZE]3,005[SIZE=-1]5,693[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2000[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2,506[/SIZE]2,952[SIZE=-1]5,458[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2001[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2,464[/SIZE]
2,595[SIZE=-1]5,059[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2002[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2,499[/SIZE]2,708[SIZE=-1]5,207[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2003[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2,605[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2,846[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]5,451[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2004[/SIZE]
2,6572,953[SIZE=-1]5,610[/SIZE]2016
3,1702,935[SIZE=-1]6,105[/SIZE]2017

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist
Wasn't the HR increase seen just in one league, where as the other league it was flat with the previous season and homeruns?

Oddly enough, the numbers have been back and forth since 2000. First column is AL, second is NL, third is MLB.

[SIZE=-1]2,688[/SIZE]3,005[SIZE=-1]5,693[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2000[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2,506[/SIZE]2,952[SIZE=-1]5,458[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2001[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2,464[/SIZE]
2,595[SIZE=-1]5,059[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2002[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2,499[/SIZE]2,708[SIZE=-1]5,207[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2003[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2,605[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2,846[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]5,451[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2004[/SIZE]
2,6572,953[SIZE=-1]5,610[/SIZE]2016
3,1702,935[SIZE=-1]6,105[/SIZE]2017

Early 00's was the steroid era. Bouncing up and down would be attributed to random variation, but you can see that 2016 and 2017 are markedly higher than the previous near decade.

My guess about the NL having more home-runs in general would be due to the pitcher having to bat, and having a weaker overall pitching performance, but hard to say.

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist
Having MLB.TV and them starting their 'popular clips during a break in the action' I'm noticing that early season baseball is now basically nothing happening, interspersed with annoying, repetitive clips.

It's making it grating to watch. The clips are loud and exciting and draw my attention, then by the time I manage to ignore them I miss half the inning when it actually starts.

Seriously, why the fuck can't human beings just sit in silence for two minutes between innings?

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Having MLB.TV and them starting their 'popular clips during a break in the action' I'm noticing that early season baseball is now basically nothing happening, interspersed with annoying, repetitive clips.

It's making it grating to watch. The clips are loud and exciting and draw my attention, then by the time I manage to ignore them I miss half the inning when it actually starts.

Seriously, why the fuck can't human beings just sit in silence for two minutes between innings?

I hear you!!!

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist
Quiet thread this year. Think next season I might hold off on my mlb.tv subscription until September or October.

And in surprising news I finally heard this week the Jays star closer just got suspended for domestic abuse.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Some mildly controversial stuff in the playoffs surrounding the Brewers approach. Now I realize they don't have elite starting pitchers but their constant changing of pitchers is hugely annoying. Last night, their starting pictcher faced one batter..ONE BATTER ! and Brewers manager Counsell challenged three calls in the first inning. I hope the Dodgers batter them.

Another interesting incident in the Boston Houston game, Altuve hits a bomb to center field, possible home run but a fan (a Houston fan!) seemed to reach out and touch Betts' glove. The umpire called fan interference and after review, the call stood. Houston lost the game.

Never the less, some outstanding baseball defense on display in both games yesterday.

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist
Some mildly controversial stuff in the playoffs surrounding the Brewers approach. Now I realize they don't have elite starting pitchers but their constant changing of pitchers is hugely annoying. Last night, their starting pictcher faced one batter..ONE BATTER ! and Brewers manager Counsell challenged three calls in the first inning. I hope the Dodgers batter them.

Never seen that move before (having Dodgers set their line-up to face a lefty, then switch your pitcher to a righty), but I didn't mind it. There are no rules against changing your pitcher at any time, so if that's how you're trying to win more power to you.

I was really hoping the Brewers would make the World Series.. just because they're the Milwaukee Brewers. Seeing the big ticket teams compete every year is getting old.

steve_bank

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
Bringing in a pitcher to face one batter is not unheard of, goes way back.

Back in the 90s when pitching got good and hitting went down the leagues livened the ball. There was a hitting and HR drought.

Today it is all 'analytics', computerised statistics. It used to be all in the manager's head. Shifts are done on a hitter's statistics.

The playoffs have been pretty good.

Does everybody know the pitches? The long shot from behind the pitcher shows the ball movement.

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist
Looks like fate is going to have it's way again:

223 million vs 177 million to compete for the World Series.

Versus the Brewers 89 million, I'm comfortable calling them the best performing team in the MLB this year.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
A fascinating series concluded with the Dodgers going to the World Series for the second year in a row. It was interesting to see Jansen come in early and then Kershaw come in and close out the game. I enjoyed the series but by the end, I was getting a bit tired of hearing about how awesome Hader is from the commentary. It's not like he pitched a no hitter game. Anyway, I look forward to playing Boston and would love to go but on checking prices, the minimum is $700 for nose bleed seats. WTF ?!

Elixir

Content Thief
Basic Beliefs
Panglomeratistiscalism
A fascinating series concluded with the Dodgers going to the World Series for the second year in a row. It was interesting to see Jansen come in early and then Kershaw come in and close out the game. I enjoyed the series but by the end, I was getting a bit tired of hearing about how awesome Hader is from the commentary. It's not like he pitched a no hitter game. Anyway, I look forward to playing Boston and would love to go but on checking prices, the minimum is $700 for nose bleed seats. WTF ?!

I agree - that was a really interesting series, and will probably cause a lot of managers to re-examine their options during the regular season next year. I only wanted the (hated) Dodgers to win because they represent "our" division, but truth be told, I feel like it would be a shame if the Sox don't win the WS after taking 108 reg season games.

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist

I agree - that was a really interesting series, and will probably cause a lot of managers to re-examine their options during the regular season next year. I only wanted the (hated) Dodgers to win because they represent "our" division, but truth be told, I feel like it would be a shame if the Sox don't win the WS after taking 108 reg season games.

I couldn't be more apathetic to a Dodgers or Sox win, and am becoming more and more dispirited with most major leagues, as they've all become a battle of one wealthy owner vs another. The Red Sox spent the most money in the entire league, and out-spent the closest team by nearly 30 million. So statistically a Red Sox World Series win is exactly what you'd expect from them. Absolutely nothing interesting about it.

On the plus side the lack of a salary cap exists for the benefit of the players, and rightly so, as it's them putting their necks out to play. Anymore I'm starting to look at the story behind these leagues as player-oriented. The story isn't the teams winning championships, it's the players who are strong enough to be recruited to these teams, and the accolades they achieve there.

How about what we do for future seasons is divide a teams number of wins by the number of millions they spent. Top 8 get in.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Wins Per Million from 2017

The Brewers were the best performing team last year when normalized by salary, Red Sox were 25th.

I'm not sure what to make of that other than you need to spend big to get to the World Series. It probably doesn't take into account injuries. The stats are from last season but for this season, for example, Justin Turner of LA Dodgers, a very productive player, was out for a number of weeks due to injury. Mike Trout of the Angels was out for a while as were a number of starting pitchers which hobbled the Angles. Last season, the World Series Dodgers were paying a lot on pitchers Darvish and Kershaw alone but dumped Darvish' salary later. Crazy money involved at the Dodgers and they are still getting their ass kicked.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
The Dodgers were stymied by great pitching from the Red Sox. Some weird Dodger pitcher changes too. At least the fans got their money's worth on Friday. 18 innings ! Wow.

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist
Wins Per Million from 2017

The Brewers were the best performing team last year when normalized by salary, Red Sox were 25th.

I'm not sure what to make of that other than you need to spend big to get to the World Series. It probably doesn't take into account injuries. The stats are from last season but for this season, for example, Justin Turner of LA Dodgers, a very productive player, was out for a number of weeks due to injury. Mike Trout of the Angels was out for a while as were a number of starting pitchers which hobbled the Angles. Last season, the World Series Dodgers were paying a lot on pitchers Darvish and Kershaw alone but dumped Darvish' salary later. Crazy money involved at the Dodgers and they are still getting their ass kicked.

I should try harder to not kill the magic for people, but the more I look at the business side of these leagues the less I care. Or maybe disillusioned is the right word.

I still watch so I can see talented athletes compete, but actually attaching myself with any sincerity to a team seems a bit pointless. At the same time I can admit that a team like the Pittsburgh Penguins winning three cups really is a meaningful story about Sidney Crosby, rather than the Pens themselves.

James Brown

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic Atheist
There was a time when New York Yankee players rode the subway to the ballpark chatting with fans heading to the same game. Today players seem to operate in a completely different orbit than the rest of us.

rousseau

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Realist
There was a time when New York Yankee players rode the subway to the ballpark chatting with fans heading to the same game. Today players seem to operate in a completely different orbit than the rest of us.

Back in the early days being a baseball player was nearly akin to slave labour, owners had all the control. But now that the players actually have rights owners have to pay them what they're worth.

Usually puts them in the stratosphere, their health is pretty critical.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I should try harder to not kill the magic for people, but the more I look at the business side of these leagues the less I care. Or maybe disillusioned is the right word.

I still watch so I can see talented athletes compete, but actually attaching myself with any sincerity to a team seems a bit pointless. At the same time I can admit that a team like the Pittsburgh Penguins winning three cups really is a meaningful story about Sidney Crosby, rather than the Pens themselves.

I pretty much feel the same way and I like your use of "sincerity". I have a preference and (loosely) root for my local teams, Dodgers, Rams, Kings and some of the other CA teams but it is probably slightly above indifferent until they reach the playoffs. Then I get a bit more sincere :)

steve_bank

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic

I pretty much feel the same way and I like your use of "sincerity". I have a preference and (loosely) root for my local teams, Dodgers, Rams, Kings and some of the other CA teams but it is probably slightly above indifferent until they reach the playoffs. Then I get a bit more sincere :)

Then you need to include music, TV, and Hollywood as well. The button line is always profit. People attach themselves to entertainment figures.

The image of the drug rebel Rolling Stones was crafted by Mick Jigger who parlayed the money into a fortune for the band. He had been an economics student. They arrive at a venue in a limo in suits, put on rahs and costumes for a show, chmage back, nag return to their 4 star hotel.

The Rolling Stones were always an act. And young people bought the act. Same with Bob Dylan.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Then you need to include music, TV, and Hollywood as well. The button line is always profit. People attach themselves to entertainment figures.

The image of the drug rebel Rolling Stones was crafted by Mick Jigger who parlayed the money into a fortune for the band. He had been an economics student. They arrive at a venue in a limo in suits, put on rahs and costumes for a show, chmage back, nag return to their 4 star hotel.

The Rolling Stones were always an act. And young people bought the act. Same with Bob Dylan.

Professional sports is very much part of the entertainment industry.

Top Bottom