• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Making fun of your own prior religious beliefs

Brian63

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker/atheist/humanist
This evening I was able to call into and speak on the podcast Truth Wanted.

Link and description are found below:

https://twitter.com/AtheistDiscord/status/1413681464063905795

or on my FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/brian.george.507464/posts/1519691321705397

What are your thoughts on this topic? Has humor and making fun of religion helped you? Do you think it is inappropriate? This humor subforum had a huge influence on my life when I was first becoming a more confident atheist ~20 years ago. Also included would be satires like Landover Baptist Church, Kissing Hank's Ass, and Mrs. Betty Bowers (America's Best Christian).

I've never seen TW before but I've watched a lot of TAA. Erin has a great smile. And I love Mrs. Betty Bowers.

Listening now.

Humor has a place. Wars are won by diplomats and soldiers.

I've never seen TW before but I've watched a lot of TAA. Erin has a great smile. And I love Mrs. Betty Bowers.

Listening now.

What is TAA? I have learned a lot from watching plenty of episodes (and calling in a couple times) of The Atheist Experience, but that would be abbreviated TAE. Seth Andrews is great too and has a podcast called The Thinking Atheist (TTA).

The written version of Kissing Hank's Ass also was instrumental for me, but over time several people turned it into videos too. By far the best (I have seen) is this with 4 friends playing poker. It still cracks me up every time I watch.

Truth Wanted has long been hosted by ObjectivelyDan, but he recently got injured and was out for this episode. Just last week Erin had been announced as the new regular co-host, and it turns out that she had to go without Dan on her very first try. She is great, and I have had some twitter exchanges with her too.

Last night I got to call in to The Perspective and chat on a couple issues, one being a repeat of this discussion about laughing about religious beliefs (including our own previous), but with 2 different hosts this time than the previous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F426KjG-m-E

I still find it hilarious that Genesis made it seem like Adam and Eve were the first humans he created. Then they get kicked out of the garden and a whole bunch of humans is running about the place like "where yall been?

I also find it hilarious that God's all like "Yo, don't go eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, else you'll die!" Like that ignorant fuck Adam would understand that it's good to listen and evil not to.

I became an Atheist in my teens (thanks to George Carlin) but before then I used to think Gambling was a sin but not anymore. My wife as some of you may already know is an evangelical Christian. So about 4 years into our relationship of being harassed about playing the lotto (when the jackpot amount goes viral), I finally said, "Quote the chapter and Verse that says gambling is a sin". It's been 12 years that she hasn't bothered me about the lottery.

Well, Agnostic, not Atheist but she doesn't know the difference so I won't edit.

Well, Agnostic, not Atheist but she doesn't know the difference so I won't edit.
My evangelically leaning relatives lump agnostic, atheist, Satanist, Mormon, and Catholic together.
I tried Druid, but they lump that with Jedi, wizard, and Buddhist.

We don't talk a lot...

On with the Genesis stories: It's funny how God put guards at Eden's gate to keep the Adam family out but didn't do crap to keep the serpent out. Just sayin.

My evangelically leaning relatives lump agnostic, atheist, Satanist, Mormon, and Catholic together.

We don't talk a lot...

Lump?
They sound like intellectually diligent splitters to me.
The real lumpers are the ones who see only "people who belong to the One True Religion" (theirs, of course), and "everybody else".

We don't talk a lot...

Lump?
They sound like intellectually diligent splitters to me.
The real lumpers are the ones who see only "people who belong to the One True Religion" (theirs, of course), and "everybody else".
Well, there's THE RELIGION, and False Religions, that they can disprove, and there's the 'oh, you and your fantasy jokes.' Which they don't bother to discuss, just dismiss, because it's obviously just some clown being foolish for attention.
No one REALLY believes in magic, or reincarnation, or space-magic, or that cows are holy. If anyone believed that, we wouldn't have hamburgers!

If anyone believed that, we wouldn't have hamburgers!

Correction: If "they" believed that, "they" wouldn't have hamburgers.
(You can always point out that they do and, they don't, of course.)

I dunno... it sounds really complicated to have all those categories. I think there are really just two categories: superstitious and atheist.
The rub is that most of us actually vacillate some, whether we realize it or not.

If anyone believed that, we wouldn't have hamburgers!

Correction: If "they" believed that, "they" wouldn't have hamburgers.
(You can always point out that they do and, they don't, of course.)

I dunno... it sounds really complicated to have all those categories. I think there are really just two categories: superstitious and atheist.
The rub is that most of us actually vacillate some, whether we realize it or not.

Strangely, I don't see that as the divide. More, I see the divide as being between strong faith and doubtful faith. Re: "when does something stop being a coincidence?"

How would you classify someone like me? Open enough to entertain "the supernatural" (in quotes because if it is existent, it is "natural", even if it is not strictly speaking material), but also open enough to recognize that has no material basis?

Really, I think the dimensions are separate, between belief and doubt. The person with large doubt and no faith is a crank skeptic. The person with large faith and no doubt is the crank woo. The person with much faith, and also much doubt is "wise". The person with no faith and no doubt? Hell if I know. A sociopath maybe?

Genesis 6:13
And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

Earth 9/8/2021: "Suprise nigga! We still violent!"

I used to believe this rubbish and enjoy laughing at myself these days.

As a child, I think I believed in Santa more than God. Might be why I became an atheist. But that was after I stopped believing in Santa. Maybe it was a pattern.

Back
Top Bottom