• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Man Falsely Convicted of Rape to Get $75

I havent seen that, but what i have seen is masculinists frothing at the mouth over the idea of affirmative consent. In this forum. And when that came up, i said men ought not grab by the crotch to determine if she wants it. Months later, we hear about how Trump is a pussy grabber and yet he still gets elected. Because of where society is in the spectrum of this issue.

Just look on here for examples. Too hard to convict for rape? We need to make it easier to get a conviction. The only way to do that is to lower the standards.

How does that work? Do we go from "reasonable doubt" to "vague suspicion"?

If more convictions are the goal, the way to do that is better police work and better prosecutors.

I actually know who was wrongfully convicted and spent 16 years in prison for rape. The case was fairly simple. On a summer night, a man climbed in the open bedroom window of a 13 year old girl. He raped the girl and then left with her transistor radio. A few blocks away, he dropped the radio. Another man comes along and finds the radio. A few minutes later, he is stopped and questioned by police. They take him to the victims house, where she identifies her radio, and the man in the car as her attacker. The man is convicted on this evidence.

Years later, DNA shows he is not the rapist. The real rapist has been running around free for 16 years. The victim, who is now 30 years old still insists she identified the correct man.

Wrongful convictions are not the result of vindictive women. They are the result of incomplete and incompetent investigations.

Which has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

I realize there will be mistaken eyewitness IDs. So long as the appearance is reasonably similar that's simply a symptom of the fact that life isn't perfect and I'm not Derec, I don't believe a mistaken ID warrants punishment.

The case you describe does bother me, though--16 years ago they had DNA testing.

How does that work? Do we go from "reasonable doubt" to "vague suspicion"?

If more convictions are the goal, the way to do that is better police work and better prosecutors.

I actually know who was wrongfully convicted and spent 16 years in prison for rape. The case was fairly simple. On a summer night, a man climbed in the open bedroom window of a 13 year old girl. He raped the girl and then left with her transistor radio. A few blocks away, he dropped the radio. Another man comes along and finds the radio. A few minutes later, he is stopped and questioned by police. They take him to the victims house, where she identifies her radio, and the man in the car as her attacker. The man is convicted on this evidence.

Years later, DNA shows he is not the rapist. The real rapist has been running around free for 16 years. The victim, who is now 30 years old still insists she identified the correct man.

Wrongful convictions are not the result of vindictive women. They are the result of incomplete and incompetent investigations.

I realize there will be mistaken eyewitness IDs. So long as the appearance is reasonably similar that's simply a symptom of the fact that life isn't perfect and I'm not Derec, I don't believe a mistaken ID warrants punishment.

The case you describe does bother me, though--16 years ago they had DNA testing.

See, this is how mistakes creep in. You have read Bronzage's statement "Years later, DNA shows he is not the rapist. The real rapist has been running around free for 16 years", and assumed that this tells you that the offence was committed sixteen years ago. But in fact, the statement says that the DNA test that exonerated the accused man took place 16 years after his imprisonment. This is not sufficient information for us to say for sure when either the offence or the exoneration occurred - only that these events were sixteen years apart. But you have assumed that you know. Just as the jury assumed that they had sufficient evidence to convict the accused.

The evidence presented by Mr Zeage allows us to deduce that the conviction probably (but not definitely) occurred some time before the widespread use of DNA evidence in rape trials, which began in the late 1980s; And that the exoneration must have occurred after 1985, which is the earliest date at which the technology used to exonerate became available. It doesn't allow us to be any more precise about the timing of either event.

The earliest possible date for the conviction is therefore mid-1969, and the latest possible date is late 2000, with conviction dates prior to about 1990 slightly more plausible than those after that date, given that DNA testing had become routine in rape cases by the early 1990s.

I don't believe a mistaken ID warrants punishment.
I agree that a mistake does not warrant criminal punishment, but why should not there be civil liability? If a driver makes a mistake and causes an accident he is (usually through insurance) liable for any damages. That does not hinge on the accident being deliberately caused.

Their presumption that wrongful accusations are extremely rare combined with supporting standards of evidence lower than "beyond reasonable doubt" make a trial a farce and guarantee additional wrongful convictions.
Can you point to some actual "leftists" that wish to reduce the standards of evidence for criminal trials?

These two clowns certainly do. In fact, they want to bring it all the way down to "preponderance of the evidence". Scary stuff.

I agree that a mistake does not warrant criminal punishment, but why should not there be civil liability? If a driver makes a mistake and causes an accident he is (usually through insurance) liable for any damages. That does not hinge on the accident being deliberately caused.
The possibility of civil awards based on honest mistakes can only serve to reduce the number of reported crimes. Interestingly, you are not advocating civil damages against the police, the prosecutors or the jurors. They all made mistakes as well. Not on purpose either.

Hmmm.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...ion-31-years-jail-article-1.2909683?cid=bitly
A Tennessee man released from prison after a wrongful conviction put him away for 31 years is fighting for an exoneration case that could grant him $1 million in compensation.

Lawrence McKinney, 60, of Memphis, Tenn., was convicted of rape and burglary in 1978 and was sentenced to prison for 115 years. He was released in 2009 after DNA evidence ruled him out as a suspect in the case.

After his release, McKinney was issued $75, and he could be eligible for up to $1 million in compensation if the Tennessee Parole Board hears his exoneration case, which has been denied twice already.
Seems there should be some kind of unantiquated non-hearing needed automatic compensation a bit higher than an unbelievably low amount of $75 when being released in exonerated fashion from a wrongful conviction that took away of such magnitude ones life of freedom--at the hands of the friggin' state no less.

And for those that want to inject race, at least thrice that for whites and twice that for others, hmmm?

See, this is how mistakes creep in. You have read Bronzage's statement "Years later, DNA shows he is not the rapist. The real rapist has been running around free for 16 years", and assumed that this tells you that the offence was committed sixteen years ago. But in fact, the statement says that the DNA test that exonerated the accused man took place 16 years after his imprisonment. This is not sufficient information for us to say for sure when either the offence or the exoneration occurred - only that these events were sixteen years apart. But you have assumed that you know. Just as the jury assumed that they had sufficient evidence to convict the accused.

The evidence presented by Mr Zeage allows us to deduce that the conviction probably (but not definitely) occurred some time before the widespread use of DNA evidence in rape trials, which began in the late 1980s; And that the exoneration must have occurred after 1985, which is the earliest date at which the technology used to exonerate became available. It doesn't allow us to be any more precise about the timing of either event.

The earliest possible date for the conviction is therefore mid-1969, and the latest possible date is late 2000, with conviction dates prior to about 1990 slightly more plausible than those after that date, given that DNA testing had become routine in rape cases by the early 1990s.

Look more carefully--it says she's 30--adding up the timeline it must be recent events. Now, it's possible that he's actually quoting something and those aren't his words but if so it should have been marked as a quote.

The driver is civilly punished for making a mistake that he should have been able to do a better job.

Perfect eyewitness identifications are asking more than we are capable of, we don't punish drivers for failing to do the superhuman to avoid an accident. So long as it's a reasonable mistake there should be no liability, period.

Then why are you having a hissy fit melt down about this case: http://talkfreethought.org/showthread.php?9976-Chicago-makes-more-thug-families-millionaires

Anyone else think the original sentence of 110 years for a rape and burglary seemed excessive?

When this guy was sentenced, the average sentence for rape in the US was about ten years (http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/html/cjusew96/isl.cfm) and for burglars it was about 4 years.

Question: What was his past record?
As far as I know, he had none. There is no mention of a past record I can find in any reports. So, unless you have evidence there was a past record, it seems his sentence was excessive.

Back
Top Bottom