• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mark Zuckerberg just got saved!

Kharakov

Quantum Hot Dog
Basic Beliefs
Don't step on mine.
I wonder if anyone noticed the bandwidth spike?

Jolly_Penguin

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Skeptic

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
and he considers religion important. Doesn't say what he actually believes as near as I can see.
Yes. Big difference between 'religion is important because humans need community' and 'religion is important to keep God from smiting us.'

ronburgundy

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist/Scientist
and he considers religion important. Doesn't say what he actually believes as near as I can see.
Yes. Big difference between 'religion is important because humans need community' and 'religion is important to keep God from smiting us.'

And different my view that religion is importantly dangerous to a healthy community and should be actively fought against because it inherently undermines reason, liberty, and moral and political progress.

Like most "moderate" religious endorsement Zuckerberg's is less dangerous than but still enabling of the dangerous impacts of religion.

Sarpedon

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
the Philosophy of Not Giving a Damn
Meh, let the man do as he wants. We're supposed to be all about freedom. No skin off my teeth.

OLDMAN

Basic Beliefs
NONE

And different my view that religion is importantly dangerous to a healthy community and should be actively fought against because it inherently undermines reason, liberty, and moral and political progress.

Like most "moderate" religious endorsement Zuckerberg's is less dangerous than but still enabling of the dangerous impacts of religion.

Religion is important because most people can.t handle the truth about dying.

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
Meh, let the man do as he wants. We're supposed to be all about freedom. No skin off my teeth.
I don't think I see anyone opposed to his freedom to choose.
I think we just want more specificity. If nothing else, to limit the rumors that'll be told.
Like the first time I heard about Anthony Flew was when a thumper on a forum bragged that my atheism hero had found Christ.

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-media/facebook-ceo-says-he-s-no-longer-atheist-n702631

Well, not exactly. He says he's reverted to Judaism. Hallalujah! Praise Moses. Or Elijah. Or something.

SLD

Isn't it more that being an atheist is going out of fashion? Atheism had a huge swing up with New Atheism, but there was bound to come a backlash at some point. I think I've seen a trend toward spiritualism and religiosity for a few years now. There's been quite a few clues. That doesn't mean that real numbers of atheists are shrinking. It just means that it's less cool now to wear the atheist badge.

Also, you can be an atheist Jew. Judaism doesn't focus on belief. It only focuses on ritual. There's plenty of proud badge wearing Jews who are just as proud atheists.

I think the problem is that atheism is empty. Atheism is a club where you go to if you don't want to belong to a club. But people want to belong to clubs. And fundamentally that's all really religion is. It's clubs to join.

I've talked about it for years now here. I think atheist religion is the new thing and it's going to explode. If it hasn't already.

James Brown

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic Atheist
You know those Gideon Bibles that Christians put in hotel rooms with the hopes that people read them and find God?

I wonder if anyone ever found one of those Bibles, read the first two-thirds of it, then converted to Judaism.

That's just as good, right Gideons?

Last edited:

Jolly_Penguin

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Skeptic
Isn't it more that being an atheist is going out of fashion? Atheism had a huge swing up with New Atheism, but there was bound to come a backlash at some point. I think I've seen a trend toward spiritualism and religiosity for a few years now. There's been quite a few clues. That doesn't mean that real numbers of atheists are shrinking. It just means that it's less cool now to wear the atheist badge.

I'd agree with this. I think we sort of popped a bit of the religious bubble, and being an atheist is no longer a cool rebel thing to be. The taboo and bad boy factor is no longer there. And now, I think a lot of people have left the big religions are moving into new age like stuff. Still something to be guarded against, but it isn't as organized or as powerful as it was.

- - - Updated - - -

You know those Gideon Bibles that Christians put in hotel rooms with the hopes that people read them and find God?

I wonder if anyone ever found one of those Bibles, read the first two-thirds of it, then converted to Judaism.

That's just as good, right Gideons?

I used to have a habit of writing in these bibles, leaving little disclaimers and highlighting funny passages. I don't really do that anymore. Kind of got bored of it.

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
I think the problem is that atheism is empty. Atheism is a club where you go to if you don't want to belong to a club.
But for a long time, atheism was also like Satanism and getting your face pierced. Something you can take up expressly to scandalize your parents. Something you do to see people recoil in horror.

Much like a school friend I had who was an avowed communist right up to the day the Berlin Wall came down. Then it wasn't so scary any more, and his Dad would talk to him. He's probably Muslim these days.

DBT

Contributor
Maybe it's just a cultural thing? Being a part of a greater community et cetera, without holding a conviction in the reality of its god?

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Maybe it's just a cultural thing? Being a part of a greater community et cetera, without holding a conviction in the reality of its god?

Of course not. Jesus. His Facebook page isn't his personal Facebook page. It's 100% branding. He did it because his PR-department told him he should. He might have held out for a bit, but Facebook's dominance is anything but secure at the moment. Right now isn't a good time for Mark Zuckerberg to be making personal statements that doesn't have his company's welfare as the main goal.

Treedbear

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
secular, humanist, agnostic on theism/atheism

Of course not. Jesus. His Facebook page isn't his personal Facebook page. It's 100% branding. He did it because his PR-department told him he should. He might have held out for a bit, but Facebook's dominance is anything but secure at the moment. Right now isn't a good time for Mark Zuckerberg to be making personal statements that doesn't have his company's welfare as the main goal.

Politics is said to be warfare by other means. It seems religion has become politics by other means. I think the rise of strong-man, authoritarian governments is likely to lead us to give up more and more privacy to the government. Announcing one's Jewishness may be a defense against what might then potentially be portrayed as antisemiticism toward a part of the "liberal, Jewish media". Actually religion has played a historical role as a counter-weight to tyrants since the middle ages. So it can be seen as having an adaptive purpose beyond conquest. But I think Silicon Valley has a lot to worry about under the coming administration.

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Politics is said to be warfare by other means. It seems religion has become politics by other means. I think the rise of strong-man, authoritarian governments is likely to lead us to give up more and more privacy to the government. Announcing one's Jewishness may be a defense against what might then potentially be portrayed as antisemiticism toward a part of the "liberal, Jewish media". Actually religion has played a historical role as a counter-weight to tyrants since the middle ages. So it can be seen as having an adaptive purpose beyond conquest. But I think Silicon Valley has a lot to worry about under the coming administration.

Well, Silicon Valley always has a lot to worry about, and it's nothing to do with politics. It's all predicting the coming trends in computing. Here's a prediction that I know will be true, everybody today will be wrong about the dominant new electronic thing ten years from now. That's been the case so far since the 1950'ies. That's what they're all worrying about. Or we. This is what I work with.

Treedbear

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
secular, humanist, agnostic on theism/atheism
... Here's a prediction that I know will be true, everybody today will be wrong about the dominant new electronic thing ten years from now. That's been the case so far since the 1950'ies. That's what they're all worrying about. Or we. This is what I work with.

That's another matter. Of course the paradigm is that you never need to worry about that which you prepare for. All I have to say is beware of the coming singularity.
The technological singularity (also, simply, the singularity) is the hypothesis that the invention of artificial superintelligence will abruptly trigger runaway technological growth, resulting in unfathomable changes to human civilization.

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
That's another matter. Of course the paradigm is that you never need to worry about that which you prepare for. All I have to say is beware of the coming singularity.
The technological singularity (also, simply, the singularity) is the hypothesis that the invention of artificial superintelligence will abruptly trigger runaway technological growth, resulting in unfathomable changes to human civilization.

Now we're derailing, but there's reason to worry long before the singularity. AI's don't have to be smarter than us to replace us. AI's and robots that can replace nearly all jobs are right around the corner, and many of them are here already. Do you ever shop on-line? Guess how many jobs that destroyed? Ever take an on-line course, instead of taking a class, like Duolingo? Guess how many jobs that destroyed? Self driving cars are already being sold to the public. What happens when all transport and warehousing staff loses their jobs?

"runaway technological growth, resulting in unfathomable changes to human civilization" is happening right now. What do you think Trump, Brexit and campus safe spaces are about? Critical things we were taught to take for granted when growing up doesn't apply when we're young adults, less as middle aged and laughably obsolete as seniors. And there's no evidence of the changes slowing down. That makes us insecure and long for simpler times. While frantically tweeting how offended we are on the very device that is the fruit of this new insecure future world.

I'd say that when the singularity does come we've already adapted society to make it fit in nicely. I doubt we'll even notice it socially. The future shock to deal with it is happening now. I just hope we manage to avoid A Brave New World.

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Best evidence for that is the fact that religious people cry at funerals IMHO.

Yeah, should be a big celebration, Heaven at last. Perpetual Bliss for Eternity.

And and what's the big hang up about abortions? If God gave us free will and abortion doctors are willing to go to Hell to make women's life more pleasant, isn't that a good thing? Shouldn't they be grateful to these doctors making that sacrifice for women? And the women aren't sinning. Only the doctors are. So they're all good. No?

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
Best evidence for that is the fact that religious people cry at funerals IMHO.

Yeah, should be a big celebration, Heaven at last. Perpetual Bliss for Eternity.
Yeah, that's the ineffective consolation they offer. "He's in a better place."

Not like the party they threw when Uncle Burt won the lottery. We all knew he was moving to a better place, no long faces.

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Yeah, that's the ineffective consolation they offer. "He's in a better place."

Not like the party they threw when Uncle Burt won the lottery. We all knew he was moving to a better place, no long faces.

It always breaks my heart when grown ups say that to kids and they proceed to go looking for that new better room in the house. Never fails.

LordKiran

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
In a single statement? Pff

Now we're derailing, but there's reason to worry long before the singularity. AI's don't have to be smarter than us to replace us. AI's and robots that can replace nearly all jobs are right around the corner, and many of them are here already. Do you ever shop on-line? Guess how many jobs that destroyed? Ever take an on-line course, instead of taking a class, like Duolingo? Guess how many jobs that destroyed? Self driving cars are already being sold to the public. What happens when all transport and warehousing staff loses their jobs?

"runaway technological growth, resulting in unfathomable changes to human civilization" is happening right now. What do you think Trump, Brexit and campus safe spaces are about? Critical things we were taught to take for granted when growing up doesn't apply when we're young adults, less as middle aged and laughably obsolete as seniors. And there's no evidence of the changes slowing down. That makes us insecure and long for simpler times. While frantically tweeting how offended we are on the very device that is the fruit of this new insecure future world.

I'd say that when the singularity does come we've already adapted society to make it fit in nicely. I doubt we'll even notice it socially. The future shock to deal with it is happening now. I just hope we manage to avoid A Brave New World.

Given that A Brave New World is about a hypothetical future where the populace is considered little more than cogs in the state machinery, kept in line not through military authority but through social conditioning, menial distractions and excess...We're probably not too far off.

DBT

Contributor
Given that A Brave New World is about a hypothetical future where the populace is considered little more than cogs in the state machinery, kept in line not through military authority but through social conditioning, menial distractions and excess...We're probably not too far off.

Shoveling fuel for a runaway Train.....

Top Bottom