• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Media/General Treatment of Hillary Clinton

Koyaanisqatsi

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Spiritual atheist
Let's start with the biggest and longest lasting attacks against her (in no particular order).

1. She called black kids "super predators." This is, of course, false, yet it still persists to this day. As I noted in several other threads, "super predator" was specifically referring to gang members, not African-Americans or African-American youths. From the transcript (emphasis mine):

[W]e also have to have an organized effort against gangs just as in a previous generation we had an organized effort against the mob. We need to take these people on. They are often connected to big drug cartels. They are not just gangs of kids anymore. They are often the kinds of kids that are called super predators; no conscience no empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way but first we have to bring them to heel and the president has asked the FBI to launch a very concerted effort against gangs everywhere

As with just about everything Hillary Clinton ever says on camera, disingenuous agents take it completely out of context and then use it against her.

2. She's against "gay" marriage. Also false, yet still persists as exemplified in this POLITICO piece: Hillary Clinton’s changing position on same-sex marriage from 2015. What she has always stated is that, as a personal matter, she believed that "marriage" was between a man and a woman, but that her personal opinions are not relevant and would not ever get in the way of her commitment to equality in regard to civil unions.

Iow, she consistently delineated her personal beliefs separately from her stronger opinion that the government had no business in preventing any couple the same rights as are granted to same sex couples, even going so far as to oppose something her husband signed into law:

December 1999: Clinton told a group of gay contributors at a fundraiser that she was against the "don't ask, don't tell" military policy signed by her husband.

The New York Times reported that Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson said she supported the Defense of Marriage Act but added that "same-sex unions should be recognized and that same-sex unions should be entitled to all the rights and privileges that every other American gets."

January 2000: At a news conference in White Plains, Clinton said, "Marriage has got historic, religious and moral content that goes back to the beginning of time, and I think a marriage is as a marriage has always been, between a man and a woman. But I also believe that people in committed gay marriages, as they believe them to be, should be given rights under the law that recognize and respect their relationship."

That fundamental position never changed. What gradually changed was her personal beliefs, not her political stance, yet not even POLITICO made that distinction clear, when in fact, that distinction was the most important one for people to hear at that time; i.e., that what someone does or does not personally believe has NO PLACE in regard to wielding the power of the government.

It's the exact same argument that drives literally everything fundamentally "good" about America; you can hold whatever personal beliefs you choose (as a fundamental right), but you cannot use the power of the government to impose your personal beliefs onto others or to deny others the same governmental rights you enjoy based on your beliefs.

Your personal beliefs define "marriage" a certain way? Fine. But you cannot deny others the same governmental benefits you enjoy that come as an adjunct to those particular beliefs.

3. "Basket of deplorables." As I have pointed out numerous times, this is yet another instance of her words being selectively, deliberately taken out of context as the very next thought in regard to the "deplorables" comment was to focus on the other half of the Trump supporters:

I know there are only 60 days left to make our case -- and don't get complacent, don't see the latest outrageous, offensive, inappropriate comment and think, well, he's done this time. We are living in a volatile political environment. You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic -- you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people -- now 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks -- they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America."

But the other basket -- and I know this because I see friends from all over America here -- I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas -- as well as, you know, New York and California -- but that other basket of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they're just desperate for change. It doesn't really even matter where it comes from. They don't buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won't wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they're in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well.

Her approach has always been the same. She appeals to the shared emotions in the room, let's the audience in on her personal stance to show empathy toward their own personal stance and that she understands what the issues are and then explains the other half of the coin and why we need to focus on the positive, not the negative and how government should (or should not) be involved in such matters.

In short, she starts by pointing out shared feelings and then explains why those feelings are not a matter for government intervention.

And her detractors flip that against her.

4. She's a "corporate whore/friend of wall street." Usually this is tied to her speeches, in spite of the fact that being paid for giving speeches is a mundane and ubiquitous vocation for all manner of politicians, celebrities, people of interest, etc. and in no way could have been considered a "quid pro quo" since she was out of office at the time she gave those speeches. She also gave dozens of them to many other institutions that had nothing to do with Wall Street--and in many cases was paid a LOT more from the other institutions--yet somehow those are just ignored and/or not automatically implied to be nefarious. You give a speech to Goldman Sachs, however, and then that just automatically means they own you for all eternity and not that they simply paid you for your expertise or opinions.

In regard to being a "friend to Wall Street" I don't even know what that means. I know what it implies, of course, but what it actually means is never made clear, particularly since there is no such monolithic entity. I have worked over fifteen years in the financial wealth advisory field in New York City and I can readily tell you that there is no such entity as "Wall Street" and that the people that work in that industry are identical to you. Yes, there are crooks and corrupted individuals just as there are in any other field, but what that has to do with Hillary Clinton is likewise never articulated.

The assumption seems to be the same as being a "corporate whore;" that mere interaction with anyone in a C-Suite position is just axiomatically corrupting, but no one can ever point out how. It's always a vague notion of the rooster watching the henhouse. Just one instance of a quid-pro-quo would suffice to start the discussion on that point, yet, never an instance always just an argument from incredulity, in spite of such things as Obama saying fuck you to Goldman Sachs after being his biggest donor in 2008 and turning their attention to Mitt Romney in 2012.

But in some people's minds, mere association is all that it takes to generate false equivalence and conspiracies.

What seems to get the most ire is the idea of working with people from the industry in order to advise on how to change or regulate the industry. What is never mentioned in that argument, of course, is that anyone who might be brought in as an adviser is acting in just that capacity; as an advisor. They help others write the legislation at times, but at least in regard to Democrats, they are never simply given carte blanche to do whatever the hell they want to do. At least I've never been able to find a single instance where that has actually been the case when you scratch even the thinnest of surfaces.

But arguing that they are just axiomatically corrupt is like arguing that any expert in any particular field is axiomatically corrupt simply because they are experts in their particular field. So if someone can show just once instance of where Hillary Clinton simply allowed some corrupt businessperson or banker take control over her own policy in a nefarious way, by all means I'd love to see it. Keeping in mind, of course, that a politician's job is to ALSO come up with regulations that have a realistic chance of being implemented. So compromise is not only inevitable, it is how the game is played and anything ever actually gets done.

Does the CEO of a bank want regulations that favor their bank? Of course they do. Does that just automatically mean they will get those regulations? Not in the slightest as has been proved countless times, but that's all very boring of course and doesn't make the headlines the way something corrupt or with the appearance of corruption will, so you never hear about it.

But in regard to Hillary Clinton, she has consistently argued for intelligent regulations and even proposed a bill that, had it succeeded to get through Congress would have seriously mitigated the effects of the 2008 housing collapse before it happened, to the point where it may have actually prevented it, but certainly would have provided significant funding to help bail out ordinary people who got foreclosed upon as a result of the collapse. As others have previously pointed out when I make that observation, that was just her knowing that it wouldn't pass so it looks good on her record. When pressed as to how they could possibly know that, it's, once again, an argument from incredulity and she's a "corporate whore" circularity and the like.

Similarly, her arguments for financial reform (originally championed by Elizabeth Warren no less) and improving Dodd-Frank--the mechanism that Sanders was going to use, btw, to "break up the banks"--were among the smartest and most bipartisan, meaning they actually were accepted by both sides of the aisle. Did it stop all Republicans in their tracks and never again do we need to worry about their corrupting influence? Of course not, because nothing can do that. It's always an endless battle.

5. She was so bad, she couldn't even beat Donald Trump. Except that she did, in spite of all of this and by almost three million votes (upwards of ten million when you count the expressed preference of eligible voters who nevertheless did not cast a ballot for various non-partisan reasons).

She never gets credit for being up against a true "witch hunt" in regard to Benghazi and the nonstarter of her emails and having the head of the FBI be her October surprise, etc., etc., etc. But the focus is always on her personality in spite of the fact that she surmounted all of those issues (and more, sexism being a prime component) to win in a record setting turnout.

The reason Trump is in the white house is because he cheated. Basically. And the evidence points to a combination of primary factors that have little to nothing to do with Hillary Clinton or her policies and much more to do with the perception of Hillary Clinton as molded and stilted by these very issues above.

That or some variation of blame the victim. She must have done something in order to garner such hatred. Yes, she did. She championed beneficial programs that would have helped millions of the "wrong" kinds of Americans in the eyes of the right and has been relentlessly punished for it.

2. She's against "gay" marriage. Also false, yet still persists as exemplified in this POLITICO piece: Hillary Clinton’s changing position on same-sex marriage from 2015. What she has always stated is that, as a personal matter, she believed that "marriage" was between a man and a woman, but that her personal opinions are not relevant and would not ever get in the way of her commitment to equality in regard to civil unions.
I'm sorry, but the whole I believe that marriage is between a man and woman is disqualifying there. You can't say that is what you believe and follow with a but.

I'm against interracial marriage and think it is wrong, but I don't think the government should stop mixed race marriages.

That isn't some sort of moral victory.

I'm sorry, but the whole I believe that marriage is between a man and woman is disqualifying there. You can't say that is what you believe and follow with a but.

I'm against interracial marriage and think it is wrong, but I don't think the government should stop mixed race marriages.

That isn't some sort of moral victory.

It wasn't meant to be a "moral victory." Quite the opposite in fact and deliberately so, because government isn't church.

It was meant to show that she empathized with the crowd she was speaking to BUT one's personal beliefs cannot be tied up in how government wields its power. The victory is one of using the government in ways that can preserve rights first and foremost and then hope that hearts and minds will soon follow. But the most important part--establishing/upholding civil rights and entitlements--needs to have its own priority.

Iow, it's a battle that can be won, so start there and move forward from a position of strength. In essence. Government--our government--was deliberately designed to move slower than a glacier and in tiny increments. As Obama noted on WTF, such incremental changes at point one mean tremendous change at point 20.

But that is evidently not sexy enough for some who think government can move instantly. It can't and deliberately so. Even Sanders acknowledges that fact, but none of his supporters ever seem to listen to that part.

When you hate someone, the way they hold their fork drives you insane. But your best friend can spill his drink in your lap and you don't mind.

Some people have been taught to hate Hillary Clinton. Not just disagree with her political positions, but to full-on hate her.

Explaining how they are taking something she said out of context won't work, because they don't want to know the context. They'll never be grateful that the full story behind a particular comment has been explained to them. Instead, they'll just be angry with you for ruining their fun.

Incidentally, the shelf life of Hillary Clinton has mostly played out. AOC is now the new target of hatred.

Why is this thread here? I would think it relevant about 3 years ago, but now? How odd. Is there something going on with Herr Hillary that I should know about?

Could be. She's popping up more and more in interviews and saying provocative things. Calling people "russian assets" for no particular reason, speaking out against Warren's wealth tax idea, and likely more to come. I think she may be testing the waters to leap back on to the stage.

She failed in 2016 in an epic way, losing to the worst president you've ever had in the USA, she felt the need to write a "how it happened" book pointing her finger at everyone to deflect her own sense of blame and shame. I don't think she'll ever get over it. I don't think Koy will either. He appears to be a major fan of hers.

As for what Koy wrote above, Jimmy raised a good point about her changing with public opinion regarding homosexuality. The "basket of deplorables" thing is also incredibly weak and was very stupid. She explicitly stated that HALF of Trump supporters fit in that basket. So any way to try to spin it, that applies to a lot of people that she intentionally alienated, and she alienated many more who misunderstood it as meaning all Trump supporters are deplorable. She has been in politics a long time. She should have known better. It almost seems like she MEANT to lose.

Her being a corporate democrat (oh but she told them to cut it out!; what a horrible debate tactic that was) and washington insider is simple fact. Bill Clinton shifted the Democrats away from being a labour oriented party and bought into the corporate Democrat orientation. Hillary has always pushed that along. She's not into it like many Republicans maybe, but she certainly is no Bernie or Warren.

There was also the matter of her incredible sense of entitlement ("I'm with her"; Not "She's with us") and her constant pushing of empty platitudes and pushing of her gender (break that glass ceiling! Horray!) rather than pushing forward a message of Hope and Change like Obama did, or like Bernie, Warren, Yang, and others are now. Her answer to Trump's "Make America Great Again" was "America's already Great". Stunningly stupid. Maybe it was for her... it wasn't so great for many others.

She's got a lot of experience in Washington and is probably well suited for jobs and appointments there, and probably did a decent job of a few of the ones she had... but she's long passed done as a politician. She's a villain to the right, a villain to the progressive left, and a failure to her own corporate Democrats.

Some people have been taught to hate Hillary Clinton. Not just disagree with her political positions, but to full-on hate her.

That's what this thread is about. How (and why) the right demonized her.

Explaining how they are taking something she said out of context won't work, because they don't want to know the context. They'll never be grateful that the full story behind a particular comment has been explained to them. Instead, they'll just be angry with you for ruining their fun.

Possibly, but haters gonna hate no matter what, so it's not about them.

Incidentally, the shelf life of Hillary Clinton has mostly played out.

You'd think so, but not according to Trumputin's rabid stock (or poster's itt for that matter).

AOC is now the new target of hatred.

Then dissecting how they go about it with their poster girl "Killery" may be of some use.

Case Study said:
She's popping up more and more in interviews and saying provocative things. Calling people "russian assets" for no particular reason, speaking out against Warren's wealth tax idea, and likely more to come. I think she may be testing the waters to leap back on to the stage.

She failed in 2016 in an epic way, losing to the worst president you've ever had in the USA, she felt the need to write a "how it happened" book pointing her finger at everyone to deflect her own sense of blame and shame. I don't think she'll ever get over it. I don't think Koy will either. He appears to be a major fan of hers.

As for what Koy wrote above, Jimmy raised a good point about her changing with public opinion regarding homosexuality. The "basket of deplorables" thing is also incredibly weak and was very stupid. She explicitly stated that HALF of Trump supporters fit in that basket. So any way to try to spin it, that applies to a lot of people that she intentionally alienated, and she alienated many more who misunderstood it as meaning all Trump supporters are deplorable. She has been in politics a long time. She should have known better. It almost seems like she MEANT to lose.

Her being a corporate democrat (oh but she told them to cut it out!; what a horrible debate tactic that was) and washington insider is simple fact. Bill Clinton shifted the Democrats away from being a labour oriented party and bought into the corporate Democrat orientation. Hillary has always pushed that along. She's not into it like many Republicans maybe, but she certainly is no Bernie or Warren.

There was also the matter of her incredible sense of entitlement ("I'm with her"; Not "She's with us") and her constant pushing of empty platitudes and pushing of her gender (break that glass ceiling! Horray!) rather than pushing forward a message of Hope and Change like Obama did, or like Bernie, Warren, Yang, and others are now. Her answer to Trump's "Make America Great Again" was "America's already Great". Stunningly stupid. Maybe it was for her... it wasn't so great for many others.

She's got a lot of experience in Washington and is probably well suited for jobs and appointments there, and probably did a decent job of a few of the ones she had... but she's long passed done as a politician. She's a villain to the right, a villain to the progressive left, and a failure to her own corporate Democrats.

Thanks! I knew I could count on you to provide an excellent example of the many non-substantive ways in which she's been vilified for no justifiable reasons. By my count, you used "corporate whore," the "I'm with her" flip (another chestnut); failing in 2016 when she actually set a US record and in spite of everything that was stacked against her; and "basket of deplorables." Right on cue and right out of the GOP playbook, no less.

Interesting comparison. I wonder if AOC will follow Hillary's path. She. She was first lady and just starting out as a politician she was pushing for universal single payer healthcare. Over time she got beat down (or sold out) and her most recent interviews about progressive issues are much much more restrictive and defeatist. It's almost like she thinks that if she couldn't get it done then nobody should bother trying. I wonder if AOC will still be around in 30 years and if she will have similarity transformed.

Case Study said:
She's popping up more and more in interviews and saying provocative things. Calling people "russian assets" for no particular reason, speaking out against Warren's wealth tax idea, and likely more to come. I think she may be testing the waters to leap back on to the stage.

Thanks! I knew I could count on you to provide an excellent example of the many non-substantive ways in which she's been vilified for no justifiable reasons. By my count, you used "corporate whore," the "I'm with her" flip (another chestnut); failing in 2016 when she actually set a US record and in spite of everything that was stacked against her; and "basket of deplorables." Right on cue and right out of the GOP playbook, no less.

Your constantly insisting that she "won" while Trump is the president instead of her is always amusing. Yes Koy, she "won" in a narrow sense that doesn't count for anything within a voting system she fully knew what she had to accomplish to actually win the whitehouse.

She DID declare HALF of Trump supporters at the time to be "deplorables". Pretty much everyone, probably including herself the moment she said it, knew that was a statement that would alienate a lot of people and lose her votes. She thought she would win anyway. She felt so entities that she didn't even have a concession speech ready just in case. She also took a charismaless nobody as VP pick when she could have made some overtures by picking somebody like Warren.

She lost a historic presidential election to the most incompetent president in US history. You should both try to get over it and move on. So should the Democratic Party. It's time for the progressive wing to take the lead. Hillary and her comrades tried and failed. Time for them to get out the way.

So, thanks to a usual suspect, we have:

6. The "I'm with her" flip. This is one of the more stupid attempts to demonize Clinton, particularly since she didn't come up with the slogan and it was wildly popular among Democrats, who are the ones that actually made it the more popular one.

The one Clinton did choose--and was the official slogan of the campaign--was "Stronger Together." "I'm With Her" was championed by Democrats who liked the slogan:

“Stronger Together” was the Hillary campaign’s official slogan. Unlike the others, which were bolstered mainly by supporters who used the designs and slogans as their own, “Stronger Together” was a more concentrated, top-down message that came to the design team from Clinton and her top advisors after careful consideration and whittling down.

“‘Stronger Together’ launched at the Democratic National Convention,” says Kinon. “It was really the message of unity for the country. It was built out of [Clinton’s] policies, and the candidate herself was quite involved in choosing what [the campaign] message would be. She’s the primary vehicle for the message; the candidate is the brand. ‘Stronger Together’ was the message that resonated with her and was already very much alive in all of her speeches she was delivering.

But, once again, the facts don't matter to people like Jolly P.

Your constantly insisting that she "won"

Because she did.

while Trump is the president

And we know why and it had absolutely nothing to do with him or the preference of the overwhelming majority of eligible voters and a LOT to do with the decades of false attacks against Clinton that I'm outlining here and you are being so kind to demonstrate in near real time every time you post.

She DID declare HALF of Trump supporters at the time to be "deplorables".

See? Well done. She categorically did NOT do that, yet you keep repeating the same deliberate mischaracterization. Here, once again is what she actually said:

I know there are only 60 days left to make our case -- and don't get complacent, don't see the latest outrageous, offensive, inappropriate comment and think, well, he's done this time. We are living in a volatile political environment. You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic -- you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people -- now 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks -- they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America.

But the other basket -- and I know this because I see friends from all over America here -- I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas -- as well as, you know, New York and California -- but that other basket of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they're just desperate for change. It doesn't really even matter where it comes from. They don't buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won't wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they're in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well.

"As well." And she openly concedes right at the start that she's being "grossly generalistic" and referring specifically to those among his supporters that are racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic and once 11,000 now 11 million. Is 11 million half of all Trump supporters? And then she further qualified with "some of those folks" are irredeemable before going on to her ACTUAL MESSAGE, which was that there is another basket of genuine, caring good people desperate for change--not racist, sexist, homophobic--not irredeemable and we need to understand that and reach out to them and empathize with them as well as the irredeemable ones.

And she was absolutely correct on all counts. But, of course, all the Trumpeters did was focus exclusively on the "deplorable" part and did the exact same thing they did with "super predators." The exact same thing YOU are doing still.

She thought she would win anyway. She felt so entities that she didn't even have a concession speech ready just in case.

Ooh, thanks, that's another good one.

She also took a charismaless nobody as VP pick when she could have made some overtures by picking somebody like Warren.

Eh, not so good as that goes to strategy. Attempting to be the first female POTUS is daunting enough in this country even for Democrats as there are a good 30-40% of "conservative" Democrats that are too sexist to risk such a double billing.

She lost a historic presidential election to the most incompetent president in US history.

It doesn't matter how many times you repeat a lie; it's still a lie. She won an historical election and set a new record, garnering more raw votes than any white President in US history in the third largest turnout on record.

You should both try to get over it and move on.

OOOOh! That's a great one. Thanks, that will be next up. Keep these coming, it helps as there are so many of them I've forgotten.

Hillary and her comrades

This is a new one you've been using of late (the "comrades" idiocy, attempting, I guess to imply a Russian connection or something)? Who gave you those marching orders? Just for my notes.

Honduras exists and should be part of any conversation about Hillary Clinton's merits, experience, and competence as a leader.

It's hilarious that anyone would deny Hillary "braking the glass ceiling" Clinton fully embraced the "I'm with her slogan". So what if she didn't come up with it herself. She came up with very little herself. Few politicians do. She fully embraced it, repeated it numerous times, never thought it prudent to correct it to "No no I'm with you!" and left the door wide open for Trump to use it against her. As for Stronger Together , that was more her demand for others (especially the progressive Sanders backers) to fall in line behind her. Note how different she was in presentation of it, along with her "deplorables" thing, than Obama was with his message of unity - specifically including everyone, even those on the right. As well as his messages of hope and change vs her "America's already great". He would have easily beaten Trump had he not already run and won twice.

Let's start with the biggest and longest lasting attacks against her (in no particular order).

1. She called black kids "super predators." This is, of course, false, yet it still persists to this day. As I noted in several other threads, "super predator" was specifically referring to gang members, not African-Americans or African-American youths. From the transcript (emphasis mine):

As with just about everything Hillary Clinton ever says on camera, disingenuous agents take it completely out of context and then use it against her.

Iow, she consistently delineated her personal beliefs separately from her stronger opinion that the government had no business in preventing any couple the same rights as are granted to same sex couples, even going so far as to oppose something her husband signed into law:

That fundamental position never changed. What gradually changed was her personal beliefs, not her political stance, yet not even POLITICO made that distinction clear, when in fact, that distinction was the most important one for people to hear at that time; i.e., that what someone does or does not personally believe has NO PLACE in regard to wielding the power of the government.

It's the exact same argument that drives literally everything fundamentally "good" about America; you can hold whatever personal beliefs you choose (as a fundamental right), but you cannot use the power of the government to impose your personal beliefs onto others or to deny others the same governmental rights you enjoy based on your beliefs.

Your personal beliefs define "marriage" a certain way? Fine. But you cannot deny others the same governmental benefits you enjoy that come as an adjunct to those particular beliefs.

3. "Basket of deplorables." As I have pointed out numerous times, this is yet another instance of her words being selectively, deliberately taken out of context as the very next thought in regard to the "deplorables" comment was to focus on the other half of the Trump supporters:

I know there are only 60 days left to make our case -- and don't get complacent, don't see the latest outrageous, offensive, inappropriate comment and think, well, he's done this time. We are living in a volatile political environment. You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic -- you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people -- now 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks -- they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America."

Her approach has always been the same. She appeals to the shared emotions in the room, let's the audience in on her personal stance to show empathy toward their own personal stance and that she understands what the issues are and then explains the other half of the coin and why we need to focus on the positive, not the negative and how government should (or should not) be involved in such matters.

In short, she starts by pointing out shared feelings and then explains why those feelings are not a matter for government intervention.

And her detractors flip that against her.

4. She's a "corporate whore/friend of wall street." Usually this is tied to her speeches, in spite of the fact that being paid for giving speeches is a mundane and ubiquitous vocation for all manner of politicians, celebrities, people of interest, etc. and in no way could have been considered a "quid pro quo" since she was out of office at the time she gave those speeches. She also gave dozens of them to many other institutions that had nothing to do with Wall Street--and in many cases was paid a LOT more from the other institutions--yet somehow those are just ignored and/or not automatically implied to be nefarious. You give a speech to Goldman Sachs, however, and then that just automatically means they own you for all eternity and not that they simply paid you for your expertise or opinions.

In regard to being a "friend to Wall Street" I don't even know what that means. I know what it implies, of course, but what it actually means is never made clear, particularly since there is no such monolithic entity. I have worked over fifteen years in the financial wealth advisory field in New York City and I can readily tell you that there is no such entity as "Wall Street" and that the people that work in that industry are identical to you. Yes, there are crooks and corrupted individuals just as there are in any other field, but what that has to do with Hillary Clinton is likewise never articulated.

The assumption seems to be the same as being a "corporate whore;" that mere interaction with anyone in a C-Suite position is just axiomatically corrupting, but no one can ever point out how. It's always a vague notion of the rooster watching the henhouse. Just one instance of a quid-pro-quo would suffice to start the discussion on that point, yet, never an instance always just an argument from incredulity, in spite of such things as Obama saying fuck you to Goldman Sachs after being his biggest donor in 2008 and turning their attention to Mitt Romney in 2012.

But in some people's minds, mere association is all that it takes to generate false equivalence and conspiracies.

What seems to get the most ire is the idea of working with people from the industry in order to advise on how to change or regulate the industry. What is never mentioned in that argument, of course, is that anyone who might be brought in as an adviser is acting in just that capacity; as an advisor. They help others write the legislation at times, but at least in regard to Democrats, they are never simply given carte blanche to do whatever the hell they want to do. At least I've never been able to find a single instance where that has actually been the case when you scratch even the thinnest of surfaces.

But arguing that they are just axiomatically corrupt is like arguing that any expert in any particular field is axiomatically corrupt simply because they are experts in their particular field. So if someone can show just once instance of where Hillary Clinton simply allowed some corrupt businessperson or banker take control over her own policy in a nefarious way, by all means I'd love to see it. Keeping in mind, of course, that a politician's job is to ALSO come up with regulations that have a realistic chance of being implemented. So compromise is not only inevitable, it is how the game is played and anything ever actually gets done.

Does the CEO of a bank want regulations that favor their bank? Of course they do. Does that just automatically mean they will get those regulations? Not in the slightest as has been proved countless times, but that's all very boring of course and doesn't make the headlines the way something corrupt or with the appearance of corruption will, so you never hear about it.

But in regard to Hillary Clinton, she has consistently argued for intelligent regulations and even proposed a bill that, had it succeeded to get through Congress would have seriously mitigated the effects of the 2008 housing collapse before it happened, to the point where it may have actually prevented it, but certainly would have provided significant funding to help bail out ordinary people who got foreclosed upon as a result of the collapse. As others have previously pointed out when I make that observation, that was just her knowing that it wouldn't pass so it looks good on her record. When pressed as to how they could possibly know that, it's, once again, an argument from incredulity and she's a "corporate whore" circularity and the like.

Similarly, her arguments for financial reform (originally championed by Elizabeth Warren no less) and improving Dodd-Frank--the mechanism that Sanders was going to use, btw, to "break up the banks"--were among the smartest and most bipartisan, meaning they actually were accepted by both sides of the aisle. Did it stop all Republicans in their tracks and never again do we need to worry about their corrupting influence? Of course not, because nothing can do that. It's always an endless battle.

5. She was so bad, she couldn't even beat Donald Trump. Except that she did, in spite of all of this and by almost three million votes (upwards of ten million when you count the expressed preference of eligible voters who nevertheless did not cast a ballot for various non-partisan reasons).

She never gets credit for being up against a true "witch hunt" in regard to Benghazi and the nonstarter of her emails and having the head of the FBI be her October surprise, etc., etc., etc. But the focus is always on her personality in spite of the fact that she surmounted all of those issues (and more, sexism being a prime component) to win in a record setting turnout.

The reason Trump is in the white house is because he cheated. Basically. And the evidence points to a combination of primary factors that have little to nothing to do with Hillary Clinton or her policies and much more to do with the perception of Hillary Clinton as molded and stilted by these very issues above.

That or some variation of blame the victim. She must have done something in order to garner such hatred. Yes, she did. She championed beneficial programs that would have helped millions of the "wrong" kinds of Americans in the eyes of the right and has been relentlessly punished for it.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1XgFsitnQw[/YOUTUBE]

Ok, so, let's get this one out of the way first:

7. She felt so entitled that she didn't even have a concession speech ready just in case. Excellent wording as it demonstrates perfectly how to mischaracterize something to make it seem like something perfectly reasonable--based on literally every poll and the prevailing sentiments not just across the country and in every media coverage (including Faux News) and within Trump's own camp, no less--and ties it to entitlement. It wasn't because every metric known to humanity was saying Hillary Clinton will win (including, once again, the fact that she did), it was because she is so stuck up/privileged/character assassination tactic here that she didn't prepare a concession speech.

Non-substantive, personal attack affected entirely by mischaracterization. You literally have no possible way of knowing anything about why she didn't have a concession speech. So--just like the "I'm with her" slur--you made up your own reason and falsely applied it.

And the ultimate irony, of course, is that, very few politicians prepare their own speeches regardless. All that meant was she didn't instruct her speech writer(s) to bother with a concession speech on the night of the election, because literally everyone in the world thought she would be POTUS. And the fact that she wasn't came down to the tiniest of the tiny vote differentials in just three key states; less than 44,000 vote differential out of a record breaking turnout that saw her win the popular vote by millions of votes. Not a few hundred, like in 2000, but almost three million votes.

There have only ever been three other instances in all of US history where someone won the popular vote, but lost the White House due to the electoral college. It is such a rare occurrence that even Nate Silver only gave it a 10% chance of happening (which for him is the equivalent of saying there's really no chance it could happen; he gave the popular vote outcome only a 70% chance of happening).

So all that meant was she had to turn to her speech writers and say, "Write up a concession speech."

It's telling how, out of one side of your mouth you demonize her by pointing out what a terrible candidate Trump was and how could she possibly have "failed" to beat him accordingly, and yet out of the other side you demonize her for being so "entitled" as the reason why she didn't write a concession speech. Was she somehow immune to the exact same polling data and common sense and media coverage and early returns that ALL pointed directly to her winning? Which, once again, and forever, she did by millions of votes.

Of course not, but, regardless, here you are trying to shift the focus off of a perfectly reasonable course of events into an opportunity for unjustifiable character assassination.

Again, thanks. This is exactly the case study this thread was all about, so keep it coming. I know you will.

Because she did.

She failed to become President, Koy. She and you can stomp your feet and point fingers all you want. Doesn't change anything. She still failed and lost.... To your President Donald Trump.

She DID declare HALF of Trump supporters at the time to be "deplorables".

See? Well done. She categorically did NOT do that, yet you keep repeating the same deliberate mischaracterization. Here, once again is what she actually said:

I know there are only 60 days left to make our case -- and don't get complacent, don't see the latest outrageous, offensive, inappropriate comment and think, well, he's done this time. We are living in a volatile political environment. You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic -- you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people -- now 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks -- they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America.

What part of the word half don't you understand? So what if she spoke of another basket? She DID classify half is his voters as deplorable bigots. They weren't. The public knew it. It cost her dearly and was a stupid and predictably politically coating thing to say.

Is 11 million half of all Trump supporters?

Congratulations. You've pointed out she can't do math.

And then she further qualified with "some of those folks" are irredeemable before going on to her ACTUAL MESSAGE, which was that there is another basket of genuine, caring good people desperate for change--not racist, sexist, homophobic--not irredeemable and we need to understand that and reach out to them and empathize with them as well as the irredeemable ones.

An "actual message" that anybody could predict would be burried under her basket if deplorables line. This is the mark of a failed politician.

And she was absolutely correct on all counts. But, of course, all the Trumpeters did was focus exclusively on the "deplorable" part and did the exact same thing they did with "super predators." The exact same thing YOU are doing still.

I don't recall myself having ever mentioned her "super predators".

She thought she would win anyway. She felt so entities that she didn't even have a concession speech ready just in case.

Ooh, thanks, that's another good one.

The truth will set you free.

This is a new one you've been using of late (the "comrades" idiocy, attempting, I guess to imply a Russian connection or something)? Who gave you those marching orders? Just for my notes.

Hillary did. Or maybe it was you. We recently had a thread about Hillary calling Tulsi Gabbard a "Russian asset" and it was declared that anything that helps the Russians makes you one (I don't recall if it was you who said that). By that same logic, Hillary is a Russian asset because she landed Trump in the whitehouse with her failed attempt to take it herself. That was certainly much more helpful to Putin than Tulsi speaking against the wars. So comrade Hillary it is. And if you or she seems that an insult or slur, she's the source of it.

It's hilarious that anyone would deny Hillary "braking the glass ceiling" Clinton fully embraced the "I'm with her slogan". So what if she didn't come up with it herself.

Embracing something that her consituents embraced and sent viral is not the same thing as her coming up with it herself based on some sort of character flaw as you keep trying to make it about.

She came up with very little herself. Few politicians do.

And yet, as I just showed, she did that very thing with "Stronger Together" the actual official slogan of her campaign.

As for Stronger Together , that was more her demand for others (especially the progressive Sanders backers) to fall in line behind her.

Ooh, nicely done! So she's damned if she does and damned is she doesn't. It's all in how you characterize it. Nothing substantive. And, of course, completely ignoring the fact that, thanks exclusively to Sanders causing a bitterly divisive civil war primary for no purpose whatsoever other than his own ego (since it was a mathematical fact that he could not possibly have won and this was known as early as March, when he should have left the stage), the fact that Clinton may have acknowledged the fact that it was now necessary to unite a needlessly fractured party is likewise points against her.

It's amazing how no matter what she does, you find ways to characterize it in a negative fashion and yet, once again, without a single bit of substance behind it.

Well done. This is proving my point beautifully.

Note how different she was in presentation of it, along with her "deplorables" thing, than Obama was with his message of unity - specifically including everyone, even those on the right.

So, you mean, like when he said:

There are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they're just desperate for change. It doesn't really even matter where it comes from. They don't buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won't wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they're in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well.

Back
Top Bottom