• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Metaphysics - Where is it?

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
Metaphysics, can you touch it?

If not in our brains inside a finte skull volume whre is it? What is it?

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
It’s on my phone - first line of the post above.
you can thank me later 🤗

steve_bank

Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
Oh come on, this is a serious philosophical discourse.

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
Natural Philosophy, Game Theoretic Ethicist

"Math, can you touch it?"

"If not in our brains inside a finit skull volume where is it? What is it?"

You seem to be indicating that there is nothing that is metaphysical.

Even so, different cultures and people from opposite sides of the earth developed language to describe set theory and math independently.

There's clearly something a little bit more fundamental than even the structure of our universe, but fundamental to the very idea of "any system even remotely like our universe".

It is intangible except in the ascertainment by things that things happen some fixed way on a fundamental level.

I don't think it "comes from" anywhere, other than perhaps being projected as a concept by the clear existence of things which behave this way, of not allowing real contradiction.

steve_bank

Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
Where is metaphysics? That is the question.

Is it a disembodied existence?

steve_bank

Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
Where does silliness, incompetence, and stupidity exist?

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
Asking for the location of a non-local thing is kind of silly to be honest. It's not local.

We have few words for such intangibles beyond "intangible".

There are different kinds of intangibles, such as nonsensical things, or sensible things that cannot possibly be implemented, or things which are both sensible and implementable but which will not ever be implemented, and quits possibly a variety of other such things.

Asking where they are is like asking where math is. It's not the sort of thing that exists in a place.

Where is the average person. Where is superman?

Where did we take the national debt from and who do we owe it to?

These things, these places exist even when there is "nothing", or rather they are identities immutable as the idea of "5" or "a set".

It is a non-local byproduct of there existing some "place" where there are not contradictions.

steve_bank

Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
It is intended as a serious question.

It is tied to more than the question if you exolore instead of philosophizing.

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
Your question makes no sense. Can you reword it please so people might understand what you are asking for?
He's trying to ask about the physical location of nonlocal things, concepts detached from location, things that don't even properly interact with anything at all.

He's trying to ask where the "proper nouns" live as if it's a place you can walk and interact with, in an attempt to cast doubt on the idea that there are accessible intangibles, that may be implemented but which are themselves neither created nor destroyed in proper.

Asked another way: where are the laws of physics located? Where is math located? Where is "and" located? Where is "true" located? Where is "false" located?

It's all just a hot sticky mess of JAQ, asking a question which seems sensible on the face of it but is not.

Metaphysics is nowhere, but it's also not "nonsense", either.

SIB

Basic Beliefs
Atheist

we are on the same ~17 known fields. You, me, the computers that allow this to happen.

Take a computer apart and show me the pictures in there? I think people looking "in" miss the big picture. There is no no Christian deity but we are part of something bigger and more complex than us.

To me, We are a volume of space-time having a human experience.

T.G.G. Moogly

Traditional Atheist
Basic Beliefs
egalitarian

Your question makes no sense. Can you reword it please so people might understand what you are asking for?
He's trying to ask about the physical location of nonlocal things, concepts detached from location, things that don't even properly interact with anything at all.

He's trying to ask where the "proper nouns" live as if it's a place you can walk and interact with, in an attempt to cast doubt on the idea that there are accessible intangibles, that may be implemented but which are themselves neither created nor destroyed in proper.

Asked another way: where are the laws of physics located? Where is math located? Where is "and" located? Where is "true" located? Where is "false" located?

It's all just a hot sticky mess of JAQ, asking a question which seems sensible on the face of it but is not.

Metaphysics is nowhere, but it's also not "nonsense", either.
I agree with you. I think the OP is a good example of the question being the answer.

Top Bottom