• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Metaphysics - Where is it?

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
Metaphysics, can you touch it?

If not in our brains inside a finte skull volume whre is it? What is it?

It’s on my phone - first line of the post above.
you can thank me later 🤗

Oh come on, this is a serious philosophical discourse.

"Math, can you touch it?"

"If not in our brains inside a finit skull volume where is it? What is it?"

You seem to be indicating that there is nothing that is metaphysical.

Even so, different cultures and people from opposite sides of the earth developed language to describe set theory and math independently.

There's clearly something a little bit more fundamental than even the structure of our universe, but fundamental to the very idea of "any system even remotely like our universe".

It is intangible except in the ascertainment by things that things happen some fixed way on a fundamental level.

I don't think it "comes from" anywhere, other than perhaps being projected as a concept by the clear existence of things which behave this way, of not allowing real contradiction.

Where is metaphysics? That is the question.

Is it a disembodied existence?

Where does silliness, incompetence, and stupidity exist?

Asking for the location of a non-local thing is kind of silly to be honest. It's not local.

We have few words for such intangibles beyond "intangible".

There are different kinds of intangibles, such as nonsensical things, or sensible things that cannot possibly be implemented, or things which are both sensible and implementable but which will not ever be implemented, and quits possibly a variety of other such things.

Asking where they are is like asking where math is. It's not the sort of thing that exists in a place.

Where is the average person. Where is superman?

Where did we take the national debt from and who do we owe it to?

These things, these places exist even when there is "nothing", or rather they are identities immutable as the idea of "5" or "a set".

It is a non-local byproduct of there existing some "place" where there are not contradictions.

It is intended as a serious question.

It is tied to more than the question if you exolore instead of philosophizing.

Your question makes no sense. Can you reword it please so people might understand what you are asking for?
He's trying to ask about the physical location of nonlocal things, concepts detached from location, things that don't even properly interact with anything at all.

He's trying to ask where the "proper nouns" live as if it's a place you can walk and interact with, in an attempt to cast doubt on the idea that there are accessible intangibles, that may be implemented but which are themselves neither created nor destroyed in proper.

Asked another way: where are the laws of physics located? Where is math located? Where is "and" located? Where is "true" located? Where is "false" located?

It's all just a hot sticky mess of JAQ, asking a question which seems sensible on the face of it but is not.

Metaphysics is nowhere, but it's also not "nonsense", either.

we are on the same ~17 known fields. You, me, the computers that allow this to happen.

Take a computer apart and show me the pictures in there? I think people looking "in" miss the big picture. There is no no Christian deity but we are part of something bigger and more complex than us.

To me, We are a volume of space-time having a human experience.

Your question makes no sense. Can you reword it please so people might understand what you are asking for?
He's trying to ask about the physical location of nonlocal things, concepts detached from location, things that don't even properly interact with anything at all.

He's trying to ask where the "proper nouns" live as if it's a place you can walk and interact with, in an attempt to cast doubt on the idea that there are accessible intangibles, that may be implemented but which are themselves neither created nor destroyed in proper.

Asked another way: where are the laws of physics located? Where is math located? Where is "and" located? Where is "true" located? Where is "false" located?

It's all just a hot sticky mess of JAQ, asking a question which seems sensible on the face of it but is not.

Metaphysics is nowhere, but it's also not "nonsense", either.
I agree with you. I think the OP is a good example of the question being the answer.

Its meta physics until experiments start to shed light on how the universe works.

The real question is why fundamental atheist and fundamental theist can't process rational conclusions that counters their political agenda/person needs. Well, I guess for us that are ok with seeing the validity in the "opposing point of view" its not much of a question.

As to where it is, Metaphysics would be the works of Aristotle that are placed on the shelf right after his works on Physics.

Where does silliness, incompetence, and stupidity exist?

They exist as processes and events. They are not objects that we can juggle with our hands. But they can nonetheless be empirically defined and demonstrated by examples. That's how we teach concepts to our kids.

Take numbers for example. Numbers are names for quantities. We can have two stacks of objects, and one can be "more" than the other. Or, in one case we have a handful, while in another we have a bucketful.

According to Wikipedia, Metaphysics are topics that are not covered by Aristotle's works on Physics. Instead they are questions he addressed in his later works, that literally came "after" (meta) his works on Physics.

And this appears to be a smorgasbord of other unrelated issues, with little if anything in common. Thus it is difficult to say that metaphysics is anything specific, other than a big bucketful of concepts and questions.

Metaphysics exists in the physiology of our brains an have no reality beyond that.

The feeling or sense we have a space and expanse with abstract concepts is subjective perception, there is no physical reality to it.

Metaphysics being abstract systems of thought.

I take meta-phtscs to mean adapting physical reality to abstract thought reality. In modern terms the metaverse is an artficl reality.

Metaphysics exists in the physiology of our brains an have no reality beyond that.

I beg to differ. I consider that statement of yours silly. If I were to shake your hand, I'd be touching silly because you're being silly. Silly is not only in my head when it's standing right in front of me. Our brains contain our being and knowing. If Mike Tyson in his prime punched you hard enough you'd lose what we call being and knowing. Would he not be tangibly effecting being and knowing? Abstract concepts would continue unaffected by a punch from Mike Tyson. Just saying. ;)

Back
Top Bottom