• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

MLB 2023

With things starting to calm down on my end I subscribed to a Canadian sports channel this week, which includes the MLB, NHL, NBA, and European Soccer. I mainly wanted to catch some of the NHL playoffs, but I've watched a few baseball games so far.

My opinion on the pitchers clock is favorable, as long as the broadcaster isn't displaying it on screen. The MLB needed to shake things up a bit, and this should get the ball in play a little more.

I also bought a 2023 season guide tonight, it's been a few years since I read one of those.

I also bought a 2023 season guide tonight, it's been a few years since I read one of those.
Good idea, if you're going to watch a lot or bet - even casually among friends. It has been some years, but for two years in a row I read those season guides, and referred back to them as the seasons progressed. Very impressive stuff, almost prophetic in spots. And I'm not a big better, but had a radio station pool and was on the winning end after all the dust settled, both of the years I followed the guide closely.
Knowing who was thinking what about which player decision, how manager decide to utilize new acquisitions, trades and rookies... it all makes it so much more interesting. NOW - if they want my buck so I can watch my team - which I have not been able to - they would need to provide a toggle that lets me see the wide view of the field just before pitches. IMO that's where some of the most interesting stuff takes place. Player positionings, communications between pitcher and outfielders - none of that kind of stuff gets seen because the network is showing closeups of someone scratching their balls or talking to a teammate in the dugout. Really frustrates me.

It looks like they also banned shifts this season, so you might have been out of luck anyway. I'm not sure how I feel about this particular rule, but given how deeply analytics has infiltrated the game it's likely a net add for making play more interesting.

I was starting to get bored of watching absolutely nothing but easy pop ups and home runs.

I saw a headline that the pitch clock has reduced game time by about 30 minutes. I think the rule changes will be a positive for the game overall.

Watching Jays/Tigers tonight, I guess it's Cabrera's last season of his 250m contract this year. It sounds like he's going to retire and become a Hall of Fame batting coach.

After decades of neglect, the Oakland A's appear to be moving to Vegas. Best place for them.

This is a nice reminder to watch myself a game. I like baseball a lot. Grew up as a Red Sox fan.

I’ve lost track… are the Rockies going to the World Series? Their broadcasts are not shown on cable/Dish, so fuck ‘em.

Who would have thought the Mariners would be in 1st place.

As of today they're in a three-way tie for first place in the AL West. Time will tell, but it may be an exciting September.

As of today they're in a three-way tie for first place in the AL West. Time will tell, but it may be an exciting September.
Very disappointed in George Kirby. Complained about having to continue to pitch despite being at 90 pitches. I really like his stuff, but that is very disappointing. The bullpen is shot. Team is desperate for a win. And you don't want to pitch more than 90 pitches. Disappointing...

Back
Top Bottom