• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

My home state joins the 21st century

"...When the bill was passed, dozens of people in the packed public gallery broke out into loud cheers and applause, with several women crying and hugging each other."

Men cheering that they can get women pregnant and avoid being fathers.
Women crying and hugging because men tell them to "get rid of it"

"...When the bill was passed, dozens of people in the packed public gallery broke out into loud cheers and applause, with several women crying and hugging each other."

Men cheering that they can get women pregnant

Last edited by a moderator:
My beliefs don't change with the zeitgeist
...unlike QLD politics

Men cheering that they can get women pregnant
Yeah, I'm sure exit interviews confirm your interpretation.
Surely no women were cheering. And women never cry when they're emotionally invested in something that succeeds.
And no women were asking for this, except to give more power over their wombs to horny men, because other men were doing it right for so long...

But, hey, at least you can feel vindicated when everyone goes to hell after they die, huh.

What magical event happens at 22 weeks that removes a QLD woman's right to have an abortion without getting someone's permission?

What magical event happens at 22 weeks that removes a QLD woman's right to have an abortion without getting someone's permission?

Probably the same magical event that happens at 18 years that permits her to buy alcoholic beverages.

Or that renders her incapable of operating a motor vehicle at a 0.05 BAC.

It's almost as though the law imposes arbitrary boundaries on all kinds of things. :rolleyes:

Probably the same magical event that happens at 18 years that permits her to buy alcoholic beverages.

Or that renders her incapable of operating a motor vehicle at a 0.05 BAC.

It's almost as though the law imposes arbitrary boundaries on all kinds of things. :rolleyes:
21 in US

Men cheering that they can get women pregnant and avoid being fathers.

This is one of those times when a sarcastic rejoiner just won't have an impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Showing that it is arbitrary, rather than magical...

Back in the day, when it was 21 in some states, 19 in others, THAT was magical. But the federal standard, that's arbitrary.
I certainly don't won't to give the impression it's magical, but there's something about the fact it's reasoned-based that I'm hesitant to call it arbitrary. I could be confusing the notion of it being a reason to reject it being random.

I think we can agree it's not random, but to go all the way over to being arbitrary seems to miss the mark by a few pinches.

Showing that it is arbitrary, rather than magical...

Back in the day, when it was 21 in some states, 19 in others, THAT was magical. But the federal standard, that's arbitrary.
I certainly don't won't to give the impression it's magical, but there's something about the fact it's reasoned-based that I'm hesitant to call it arbitrary. I could be confusing the notion of it being a reason to reject it being random.

I think we can agree it's not random, but to go all the way over to being arbitrary seems to miss the mark by a few pinches.
I think reason can narrow it down to a bandwidth, but within that band, there's no real standard we can point to that's a distinct difference.

Such as, we could set the age to 20 years, 362 days, rather than 21. Or 21 years and 8 hours. Not a whole lot of difference in the physical reality, or emotional development, or mental capacity of the person, but we draw a line and make a big difference about either side of the line. That, at least, is how I interpret 'arbitrary' in this instance.

I think reason can narrow it down to a bandwidth, but within that band, there's no real standard we can point to that's a distinct difference.

Such as, we could set the age to 20 years, 362 days, rather than 21. Or 21 years and 8 hours. Not a whole lot of difference in the physical reality, or emotional development, or mental capacity of the person, but we draw a line and make a big difference about either side of the line. That, at least, is how I interpret 'arbitrary' in this instance.
Nicely put, and that does seem to accord with a usage I've seen before. Where I get all jacked up is when I look up "arbitrary" and try to reconcile it with the notion that reason is somehow excluded. Maybe there's a degree of arbitrariness or something.

People tend to celebrate their birthdays on, well, there birthdays, but truth is, while the actual day isn't arbitrary, since it coincides with their, well, birthday, the day they might celebrate it (oh say, if it falls on a Monday) might be a day in the weakend. Whether it's Friday after work (or not if too tired), Sunday (when others have no plans yet the next day being a work day,) or Saturday because they've recouperated from Friday (and look forward to relaxation on Sunday), the methodology of reasoning or lackthereof seems to factor in whether the day selected should be called random, arbitrary, or something else my articulative skills are preventing me from naming.

To say "arbitrary" has a connotation about it that seems to be of lesser value somehow. You appear to recognize the target I'm aspiring to shoot for by speaking of bandwidth, yet there's no denying your point about there being no great significance between an actual date and some time just before or after it.

The usage of arbitrary that seems to allow both reason and lack of is what keep me reeling over it.

Back
Top Bottom