• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Nazi Homeschool in Ohio: something for Gauleiter Ron DeSantis to explore

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.

The “Dissident Homeschool” network is run by a husband and wife team who use the aliases “Mr. and Mrs. Saxon.” This week the antifascist research group Anonymous Comrades Collective published a detailed report that unmasked the Saxons as Logan and Katja Lawrence, who live in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, with their four young children.

The researchers were able to identify the Lawrences through biographical details they shared in the Telegram channel’s group chat and on podcast appearances. One of the key clues to identifying them came when they revealed that they owned a German Shepherd called Blondi—the same name as Hitler’s dog.
Although the Lawrences will now surely face some public scorn and accountability, it’s likely their neo-Nazi curriculum is legal. A concerted, decades-long campaign by right-wing Christian groups to deregulate home schooling has afforded parents wide latitude in how they teach their kids — even if that means indoctrinating them with explicit fascism.
Meanwhile major right-wing figures are increasingly promoting home schooling as a way to save children from alleged “wokeness” — or liberal ideas about race and gender — in public and private schools. As extreme as the Dissident Homeschool channel is, the propaganda it shares targeting the American education system is just a more explicit and crass articulation of talking points made by Fox News hosts or by major figures in the Republican Party.
“Without homeschooling our children,” Mrs. Saxon once wrote, “our children are left defenseless to the schools and the Gay Afro Zionist scum that run them.”
Talk about grooming.

As long as the kids can pass the state exams, it seems all is fair in Ohio, the "Racing to the Bottom" state.

I do feel for them though. It must be hard to find resources that has a pro-Nazi theme... especially seeing how Nazis only existed for so long, and lost the only war they waged. And while I'm certain that they can always use Southern approved curricula there is always that risk of running into books that sell the Civil War wasn't "just about Slavery" going all "woke" once getting to WWII. And then the books on eugenics?! Those are probably going to be very old and poorly illustrated, making it harder to keep younger minds interested in long ago abandoned school of thoughts in biology.

Those poor people. Racist-world problems.

The “Dissident Homeschool” network is run by a husband and wife team who use the aliases “Mr. and Mrs. Saxon.” This week the antifascist research group Anonymous Comrades Collective published a detailed report that unmasked the Saxons as Logan and Katja Lawrence, who live in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, with their four young children.

The researchers were able to identify the Lawrences through biographical details they shared in the Telegram channel’s group chat and on podcast appearances. One of the key clues to identifying them came when they revealed that they owned a German Shepherd called Blondi—the same name as Hitler’s dog.
Although the Lawrences will now surely face some public scorn and accountability, it’s likely their neo-Nazi curriculum is legal. A concerted, decades-long campaign by right-wing Christian groups to deregulate home schooling has afforded parents wide latitude in how they teach their kids — even if that means indoctrinating them with explicit fascism.
Meanwhile major right-wing figures are increasingly promoting home schooling as a way to save children from alleged “wokeness” — or liberal ideas about race and gender — in public and private schools. As extreme as the Dissident Homeschool channel is, the propaganda it shares targeting the American education system is just a more explicit and crass articulation of talking points made by Fox News hosts or by major figures in the Republican Party.
“Without homeschooling our children,” Mrs. Saxon once wrote, “our children are left defenseless to the schools and the Gay Afro Zionist scum that run them.”
Talk about grooming.
I think you miss the part where they include "Gay Afro Zionist scum" as part of their hit list. It doesn't count as grooming when it's straight guys, only gay people groom.

As long as the kids can pass the state exams, it seems all is fair in Ohio, the "Racing to the Bottom" state.

I do feel for them though. It must be hard to find resources that has a pro-Nazi theme... especially seeing how Nazis only existed for so long, and lost the only war they waged. And while I'm certain that they can always use Southern approved curricula there is always that risk of running into books that sell the Civil War wasn't "just about Slavery" going all "woke" once getting to WWII. And then the books on eugenics?! Those are probably going to be very old and poorly illustrated, making it harder to keep younger minds interested in long ago abandoned school of thoughts in biology.

Unfortunately, home schooling is generally inadequately regulated and passing state exams is often not required.

Someone should start a business "Adult Basic Education". A school for adults to fill in all the gaps left by home schooling, including basic civics.

Unfortunately, home schooling is generally inadequately regulated and passing state exams is often not required.
Yet home-schooled children perform better academically than their public school peers. Go figure.

Someone should start a business "Adult Basic Education". A school for adults to fill in all the gaps left by home schooling, including basic civics.
Cool. We probably need that for public school children, too, given how poorly so many of them do.

Yet home-schooled children perform better academically than their public school peers.* Go figure. * - claim unsubstantiated
FIFY.

Yet home-schooled children perform better academically than their public school peers.* Go figure. * - claim unsubstantiated
FIFY.
It's called the Internets. Not hard to use it.

This should be an obvious conclusion. Home schooling is about selection. What type of parent will take the time and investment to home school? The state doesn't pay for home schooling; it's all out of pocket. So home-schooled children benefit from involved parents. I used to believe, like Jimmy (apparently), that home skooled children would be stupid. But I had a cousin who home schooled and her children went off to the top university in the state. The bigotry against home schooling seems to be teacher union cope.

Cool. We probably need that for public school children, too, given how poorly so many of them do.
Man it is like a conservative madlib came to life.
Oh, my mistake. All the kids who go to public school turn out to be well-behaved Einsteins.

FIFY.
It's called the Internets. Not hard to use it.
Yes, which is why it seemed odd you didn't back up the claim.

This should be an obvious conclusion. Home schooling is about selection. What type of parent will take the time and investment to home school? The state doesn't pay for home schooling; it's all out of pocket. So home-schooled children benefit from involved parents. I used to believe, like Jimmy (apparently), that home skooled children would be stupid. But I had a cousin who home schooled and her children went off to the top university in the state. The bigotry against home schooling seems to be teacher union cope.
I think your problem here is you are attributing test scores improperly. If we take all the smart kids and home school them, they will probably do well at home. As far as I know, there is no evidence suggested home schooling a kid is going to provide a much better educational experience. So your claim that the homeschooler does better than their peers isn't particularly a useful statement as the question is whether that student did better than they would have in public school.

If all students were home schooled, that wouldn't lead to some sort of Renaissance of education. In fact, it'd likely be a reversal. Some would do better, but in households where appropriate teaching and support isn't available, there will be a problem. This is why public schooling was created in the first place, to deal with that at home deficiency.

Oh, my mistake. All the kids who go to public school turn out to be well-behaved Einsteins.

So, if we transition to at home schooling for inner city youth, that number plummets?

I think your problem here is you are attributing test scores improperly. If we take all the smart kids and home school them, they will probably do well at home. As far as I know, there is no evidence suggested home schooling a kid is going to provide a much better educational experience. So your claim that the homeschooler does better than their peers isn't particularly a useful statement as the question is whether that student did better than they would have in public school.

If all students were home schooled, that wouldn't lead to some sort of Renaissance of education. In fact, it'd likely be a reversal. Some would do better, but in households where appropriate teaching and support isn't available, there will be a problem. This is why public schooling was created in the first place, to deal with that at home deficiency.
No shit, Sherlock. That's why the knee-jerk opposition to home-schooling is so dumb. Home-schooled children are mostly selected by invested parents. I'd agree, parents who are not invested in their children's education would be poor educators. But there's simply no incentive for that type of parent to home school.

So, if we transition to at home schooling for inner city youth, that number plummets?
Probably, not. If they perform that poorly it's a reflection of their parents. If a parent doesn't care how their child does in public school, then the parent isn't going to do much at home. But, obviously, the public school experience isn't helping these children, either.

No shit, Sherlock. That's why the knee-jerk opposition to home-schooling is so dumb.
Kneejerk opposition to home-schooling is kind of old school. It isn't just for the crazy people anymore. But some crazy people rely on it.
Home-schooled children are mostly selected by invested parents. I'd agree, parents who are not invested in their children's education would be poor educators. But there's simply no incentive for that type of parent to home school.
Or perhaps skill or time. Which makes one wonder why you are shitting on public schools.

Yet home-schooled children perform better academically than their public school peers. Go figure.
Home-schooled children will exhibit a double-humped curve.

On the low end you have the nutcases who don't want their kids learning reality and some simply lazy ones (One I knew--kid didn't want to go to school. Fix: Home-"school", an online class that they were no better about doing than they were about public school--but they weren't getting threatened by truancy officer.) On the high end you have kids who were bored with school and they're getting an education that actually challenges them.

Back
Top Bottom